Biggest Gripes with Linux?

The "select best server" button does that automatically, it runs ping and download tests on each of the servers. There are over 300 of them, there's no way I'm going to try them manually. Neither the default nor the result of "select best server" results in a decent download speed.

And when "Using the default is a bad idea", that's usually a problem in itself.

I dunno, whenever I install Ubuntu, my downloads are crap.. like under 100kB/s.. but when I change to a server thats better I get my full speed.

The "select best server" button does that automatically, it runs ping and download tests on each of the servers. There are over 300 of them, there's no way I'm going to try them manually. Neither the default nor the result of "select best server" results in a decent download speed.

And when "Using the default is a bad idea", that's usually a problem in itself.

I always look for local servers. It's usually quicker for me.

Currently installing Ubuntu 10.10. The thing is taking ages. I started the installation at around 7pm, it is now 11pm, it took about 3 hours to download all the required updates before installation, and now it says it has to install yet another 300MB of updates which should take another couple of hours to install.

It installed in less than half an hour in VMware Fusion. The updates took 15 minutes tops and installing them took hardly any time at all. :/

That made me laugh :D

Seriously, we all know Microsoft has never had an original idea in its existence. Be that as it may, It can be acceptable if the idea that's copied is an improvement upon the original. Sadly, Microsoft's imitations are usually inferior to both GNU/Linux and Apple's OS.

That made me laugh :D

Seriously, we all know Microsoft has never had an original idea in its existence. Be that as it may, It can be acceptable if the idea that's copied is an improvement upon the original. Sadly, Microsoft's imitations are usually inferior to both GNU/Linux and Apple's OS.

I guess you've never seen any videos from Microsoft's R&D branch.

For those people that do not like Ubuntu for whatever reason, try the PCLinuxOS distro. I have been using that distro for a couple of years now and have made the switch fulltime on my desktop now.

what I want from Linux--->better hardware support, more apps like a true photoshop killer, more games,

I upgraded and sorted my home server the last couple of days, its now running ESX and has an ubuntu machine on it.

I set myself a task with ubuntu (instead of the usual try and fail that I do normally) and that was to set the machine up with uTorrent, sadly this failed as I could not get uTorrent to work through Wine so I instead changed my aim and set it up as a minecraft server

SUCCESS!

I still don't like the app thingy for getting stuff on your install as I have always felt it to be limiting (if you wanted something that wasn't in there it was a problem to get things to install), HOWEVER I did find it very easy to find things in there so that was good. I also figured out some other bits in Ubuntu and for once it did not crash and die on me.

I also got a bit to grips with installing a program using the command line (terminal?) so this is positive so far.

I also discovered I could have used transmission as my torrent client, but I had already set up several other things for utorrent which made that the app of preference. So I set that up on a new VM Windows XP

So I'm now not totally adverse to using Linux but I think I still have a LONG way to go

So I think my gripes would now be, difficulty to install some apps. Lack of apps having been ported across platforms to include Linux

For those people that do not like Ubuntu for whatever reason, try the PCLinuxOS distro. I have been using that distro for a couple of years now and have made the switch fulltime on my desktop now.

Uhm, I'm not a fan of lookalikes. If you want Linux you better get a more mainstream distro that doesn't attempt to mimic another OS. If you want Windows, just use Windows. That's just me anyway.

PCLinuxOS is not an Ubuntu clone, it is its own distro. I am not seeing how it tries to mimic Windows, there is a KDE version, Gnome version, and an XFCE version so use which ever you like.

So I'm now not totally adverse to using Linux but I think I still have a LONG way to go

So I think my gripes would now be, difficulty to install some apps. Lack of apps having been ported across platforms to include Linux

A bit of advice, if you want to install anything in Ubuntu, just Google the apps name. Nine times out of ten you'll get a page with all of the terminal commands for adding the repository to apt and refreshing and install the package.

10.10 seemed to have a fair amount of the good stuff in apt already though.

Linux is like dating an unsociable ugly chick who's good at Math. The Windows chick is easier on the eyes and blends in much better with others.

Yeah, but that ugly chick is usually much more fun and has less diseases than the "easy on the eyes" chick.

My favourite Linux program name is hot-babe. Description from synaptic?

OK, now I'm going to have to go install Ubuntu on my netbook again just to find that one!!

First impressions are lasting impressions. Linux made hard pushes five years ago and the poor experiences people had with it will last for a long, long time.

The problem comes from people who had those impressions years ago trying to convince people not to try Linux because they assume that it is still that way. Kind of like people who won't touch Windows anymore due to a bad experience with Vista when it was first released.

I guess you've never seen any videos from Microsoft's R&D branch.

The problem is that the management rarely, if ever, allows those ideas to be implemented on a wide scale basis.

PCLinuxOS is not an Ubuntu clone, it is its own distro. I am not seeing how it tries to mimic Windows, there is a KDE version, Gnome version, and an XFCE version so use which ever you like.

You're right, must have mistaken it for another distro (that, unless I'm mistaken, was pretty much an XP clone at the time). It looks OK, but nowhere near as polished as Ubuntu or Mint, in my opinion. But the good thing about Linux is anyone can pick what they like the best.

Try qBittorrent.

It's based off of uTorrent. :)

I upgraded and sorted my home server the last couple of days, its now running ESX and has an ubuntu machine on it.

I set myself a task with ubuntu (instead of the usual try and fail that I do normally) and that was to set the machine up with uTorrent, sadly this failed as I could not get uTorrent to work through Wine

The problem comes from people who had those impressions years ago trying to convince people not to try Linux because they assume that it is still that way. Kind of like people who won't touch Windows anymore due to a bad experience with Vista when it was first released.

A lot of the problems haven't changed or changed significantly in Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

One gripe I have with most Linux distros is trying to get the latest known versions of software. Arch Linux is the gold standard for getting new software however it is also not recommended for new users. Ubuntu has PPAs but you have to find one for each program you want up-to-date. Of course theres always compiling but who wants to bother with that?

One gripe I have with most Linux distros is trying to get the latest known versions of software. Arch Linux is the gold standard for getting new software however it is also not recommended for new users. Ubuntu has PPAs but you have to find one for each program you want up-to-date. Of course theres always compiling but who wants to bother with that?

Ubuntu has announced that with the next Ubuntu release they will start releasing updates of certain programs instead of having users wait the usual 6 months for a whole new distro release for updated programs. How effective this will be and what programs will be chosen for this I don't know, and I'm not sure if it's clear yet either.