[NFL] Report: Favre to retire

MANKATO, Minn. -- Quarterback Brett Favre has informed the Minnesota Vikings he will not return for a second season with the team, a person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday morning because the team had not made an official announcement. The person says the 40-year-old Favre called coach Brad Childress to say his injured ankle is not responding as well to surgery and rehabilitation as he had hoped.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune was the first to break the story.

Favre also told the Vikings last year he wouldn't play for them but ultimately changed his mind and joined the team immediately after it broke training camp.

Favre injured his ankle in the Vikings' NFC Championship loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Many had anticipated Favre would return for his 20th NFL season, especially after getting the Vikings one game from the Super Bowl.

I'll believe it when I see it... aka, let's see what he's saying the day after training camp is over. ;)

If it's true, it's about time. I guess its back to obscurity for the Vikings.

yup. he was THE reason vikings did so well last year. not to downplay anyone else on the team, but that team did a complete 180 when he showed up

He'll be back.

Do you really think he could just call it quits being so close to a SuperBowl? I don't. I really hope he comes back. Minnesota knows that T-Jack won't win us games, he's terrible.

I just wish Farve would quit this I'm retired, I'm coming back thing, though. It's getting a bit old.

Favre is a bit old, so that seems the logical thing to do. :whistle:

There can't be anyone that remotely cares, can there be? :blink:

Vikings fans care tremendously. No way their team would've gotten to the NFC championship last year with Sage or Tavaris calling the plays.

There can't be anyone that remotely cares, can there be? :blink:

I'd say there's probably millions of people that care. I care whether or not he retires. I think he's great for football. He's an icon.

He just doesn't want to go to training camp. We went through this for the past 3 years ish, haha.

It's a little shallow, but he obviously likes living in the limelight. I'd personally like to see him come back to Green Bay as an alternate and end his career where it started. It's not going to happen with Aaron Rodgers rockin' it, but I'd find it respectable.

Technically his career started in Atlanta. I still say he should have never left Green Bay. Retiring the first time started this annual drama nonsense.

I want him to come back! I hate the saints after what they did to him and now I want him to get his revenge.

You hate the Saints for playing football? You realize football is a CONTACT sport, right?

I wonder how many other people have been hurt playing this game....

You hate the Saints for playing football? You realize football is a CONTACT sport, right?

I wonder how many other people have been hurt playing this game....

Yea but if you watch the game, they specifically went for his knees and feet. He had cheap shots taken on him with no call, with the REF RIGHT THERE!? C'mon.

I have a hate for Saints, ya know, good for them to win a SB and "Triumph" and overcome so much since Katrina but play clean football.

I hope Favre comes back at the end of Training camp and plays the first Regular season game against the Saints and we roll over them.

/rant.

Sooooo, it appears the AP was wrong and Favre never announced he was going to retire and that he's still weighing his options.

Good, I say.

well yeah, he just wants to skip training camp. i would do if i could pull it off...

well yeah, he just wants to skip training camp. i would do if i could pull it off...

Not really. He's weary of his ankle which was injured in the postseason, and he isn't sure if it's fully healed. He's going back to the doctor that did the surgery for input on if it's in good shape.

I'm pretty sure if Favre wanted to, he could simply say "I would rather not go to training camp until this day," and they'd go with it.

The more I hear about him the more I hate him.He wont go to the superbowl this year if he comes back, because he makes stupid mistakes when the game is on the line.Give it up already Brett,your best days are behind you.

The more I hear about him the more I hate him.He wont go to the superbowl this year if he comes back, because he makes stupid mistakes when the game is on the line.Give it up already Brett,your best days are behind you.

so you didn't watch him at all last year eh? the unreal season he had. and speaking of stupid mistakes, that's all the peyton manning does in the playffs and he had pretty similar numbers that favre had during the regular season.

favre can still play fine.

I'd say there's probably millions of people that care. I care whether or not he retires. I think he's great for football. He's an icon.

He is drastically overrated.

If you measure him by championships won, he is the same as many other QBs with one Super Bowl.

Great, he has a whole bunch of records. Football has never been about records. And with the way the game is passing oriented now, its just a matter of time til he loses those.