DSLR woes, ignore my indecisiveness

Yet again, I'm posting a thread for buying advice. And this time I have a few parts confirmed anyway.

I'm looking between Nikon and Canon DSLR's, and I can't decide who to go with. My budget is right at the bottom end, with the D3000/1000D.

Only problem is, I would go for the Canon 1000D, but the Kit lens doesn't include IS, and that is a problem as I have very shaky hands when trying to keep things from shaking, such as carrying a tray of drinks etc.

Is the fact that the lens doesn't include IS an issue? The Nikon cameras feel more secure in my hands, while the Canon's don't have as good grips on the right hand side from what I've experienced. Also after toying with the software on the cameras I think that the Nikon's is more approachable and easier to use off the bat.

I'm struggling here to come to a decision, I think I've come to a decision on wanting Canon, but the fact that the 1000D's kit lens doesn't have IS might be a dealbreaker for me and I'll have to settle for the D3000.

HELP! :pinch:

I think IS is pretty important since I rarely use a monopod or tripod. I have a Canon camera, but I haven't used the software too much. I typically work in Photoshop with Camera Raw. From my limited experience using the software, I thought it was rather well done for a free program. There were times where I found it awkward to use, however.

What I mean by the software is the one on the Camera, the OS/Firmware if you will. </retardedness>

what's your reason for wanting to go Canon?

so far you seem to be of the opinion that the Nikon has better kit lens, better grip and better software...

What I mean by the software is the one on the Camera, the OS/Firmware if you will. </retardedness>

Oh ok. I haven't found Canon's system software to be that bad at all. Maybe I'm just used to it. I haven't used Nikon's enough to give a comparison, though.

what's your reason for wanting to go Canon?

so far you seem to be of the opinion that the Nikon has better kit lens, better grip and better software...

I pretty much have to agree with him, you seem to be convinced that the Nikon system is better and yet want to go with the Canon, why?

If I were to switch over from Sony it'd most likely be to Nikon rather than Canon (then again I won't as I'm perfectly happy with Sony so far).

It's just the kit lens he's got the problem with, not Canon lenses overall...

Can you buy the body and a lens separately? So then you can get an IS lens?

There are lots of ways to buy all this stuff and the prices vary an annoying amount from place to place.

I'm quite happy with my Cannon setup (7D, kit wide-angle lens, plus 70-200mm f/2.8 IS telephoto). Don't know much about the 1000D, sorry.

See, when I tested them both out, it appeared that the item I was focusing on was clearer through the Canon viewfinder, both sensors were clean etc.

Also buying the lens separately makes it cost more. Also the 1000D is the replacement for the 400D by the way. The Canon generally feels better to me than the Nikon, even though the Nikon feels better in the hand, there's something tugging me to Canon and I don't know what.

Argh!

It's a standard 18-55mm lens. No IS is included with the lens for the 1000D. Will this be an issue?

Pretty much all low end Nikon camera kits come with a lens that has stabilisation. Usually it's either 18-55 VR or 18-105 VR, or maybe even 18-200 VR. And VR = stabilisation. All now depends on how much you wish to spend.

It's a standard 18-55mm lens. No IS is included with the lens for the 1000D. Will this be an issue?

Well IS, is useful but with longer lens IMO @55mm ( x1.5 nikon or x1.6 canon sensor size) won't matter that much. Say around 100mm you may start to notice your hands being an issue, then it would have to be your hands PLUS a really slow shutter. Rule of thumb is. 1/Focal length for minimum shutter speed, eg. 1/18 for 18mm and 1/55 for 5mm.

Though in my hands, Nikon grip and build is better than canon.

The lack of IS on an 18-55mm lens is not going to be an issue unless you have really unsteady hands. The weight/grip of the camera will help to steady your hands somewhat. It sounds like you are describing yourself as having shakier than normal hands... if that's the case then maybe it could be an issue. But I'd say for the average person it would not be an issue.

If you were going to have some sort of longer lens (like the 70-200mm one i mentioned that I have) then I'd definitely say you'd need IS.

Though in my hands, Nikon grip and build is better than canon.

I found the opposite to be the case - but I guess that just shows that there's a lot of personal opinion in there for that particular subject.

It really is just personal preference. With the kit lens, I wouldn't worry too much about IS. When you get better at taking photos, and are ready to buy more lenses, then I would worry more about IS.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I've come to a decision to get the 1000D + Kit lens to begin with. Finally. :p

Nice, have fun with it.

BTW I wouldn't really call the 1000D the replacement for the 400D (that was the 450D, then the 500D, then the 550D).

Hm, well according to Amazon (Seems flaky I know) the 1000D is the newer model of the 400D, and the 500D replaced the 450D, I dunno. I know which camera I'm getting anyways.

So, I went to bed thinking I'd decided what to go for but now I've woken up and I can't decide!

Going to have another look at them today.

Get the 550D.

+1 I've had the 1000D for a month or 2 now and I absolutely love it, but I'm already looking at ways for getting rid of it so I can replace it with a 550D. It all depends on the budget you have though. For a first DSLR you really can't go wrong with a 1000D, the 550D offers a lot more for not that much more money imo. Of course, the 550D 's kit lens doesn't have IS either.

I pretty much float in the same boat, unsteady hands et all.

I too am out too buy a Entry level DSLR as of now I am using a P&S Nikon S500. I tried my hands on both the 1000D as well as D3000. To me the 1000D has a pathetic hold it could just fall off my hands, while the Nikon was just amazing. Now the confusing part, I liked the OS on the Canon rather than the Nikon, IMO I get to play a lot in the Canon while I feel restricted in the Nikon, the Nikon OS makes you feel as if you are using a P&S camera. Optics wise I am a Noob at DSLR's so both performed well for me, I seem to also like Nikons 11 point AF points.

What is worse is out of curiosity I asked the guy in the shop what would suggest he went on to say buy the Canon, I asked him it has no IS lens he said you don't need IS, ahh well!!

Like the OP buying the body and the lens separate is costly so I am too confused. The Nikon is amazing deal with the VR Lens but the OS kinda turned me off, I although saw a lot of people on the net raving about its OS so this is just my opinion.

Also the Nikon has no inbuilt AF motor so it'll depend on the Lens for AF don't know how much this should affect.( IMO you shouldn't really see this one as a disadvantage since If you do end up into professional photography you certainly wouldn't be holding a entry level DSLR)

As of now my buy is on hold, hopefully will buy a DSLR by the end of this year (my Bday:) ) till then If I do end up saving a bit more I'd go for the Nikon D5000 or one of the Canon's except 1000D.

Hope I confused you more :p sorry I am myself.

Get the 550D.

It's ?719. Far out my measly budget of around ?400. I'll be testing them out again today and then I'll make my final decision.

The 1000D is ?360. If you think that ?400 is "not much more" then you must have a lot of expendable income. :blink:

After playing around with four cameras today, I've come to a final decision. This won't be changed anymore, honest! :lol:

I've decided upon the Canon EOS 500D, and I'm going to wait a while longer and extend my budget so I can get something a level up from what I was looking at. I tried the 1000D, D3000, 500D and D5000 and came to the conclusion that the 500D is for me.

Cheers for all the help throughout this guys.

It's ?719. Far out my measly budget of around ?400. I'll be testing them out again today and then I'll make my final decision.

The 1000D is ?360. If you think that ?400 is "not much more" then you must have a lot of expendable income. :blink:

Sorry, I didn't know what your budget was but I agree that there's a big difference between the two prices. However, the 550D is an excellent camera and it might be worth considering saving a bit longer to buy one rather than a 1000D or maybe even a 500D. Alternatively, Jessops are currently selling them for ?699 with a kit lens (that includes IS by the way) and it's available with interest free finance. From memory, it costs ?75 a month for 6 months to pay it off and you don't end up paying more than the sticker price.

The 500D is a great camera but the video features are limited compared to the 550D. The 550D is arguably the best entry-level DSLR on the market at the moment.