Windows 8, a Repeat of Windows 7

you got me wrong , i mean as tech

XP stayed too long for it own good.

in another word softwares are still way from perfect . rapid OS improvement > revolutionary release

Hardly, there's not much evolution of computer hardware at the moment going on in the next 2 years to justify. How different do you think computers will be in 3-5 years time ?

Hardly, there's not much evolution of computer hardware at the moment going on in the next 2 years to justify. How different do you think computers will be in 3-5 years time ?

moore's law is still in effect

With how smooth 7 runs, 8 would need a super beautiful GUI to make me update :p

Honestly, that's my biggest complaint with Windows at this point. The UI just looks so dated. Even simple things like fonts aren't as crisp as they are on OS X, for instance.

Honestly, that's my biggest complaint with Windows at this point. The UI just looks so dated. Even simple things like fonts aren't as crisp as they are on OS X, for instance.

Fonts in Windows are actually a lot more crisp than on OS X generally - it's a matter of oppinion really. I prefer OS X's but all the mods that have enabled that style on Windows look really strange. Additionally, OS X fonts work best at a larger size where as Windows ones look better at smaller sizes. Maybe they can strike a balance with Windows 8?

i think it's just ridiculous/ selfish that Microsoft is going to release windows 8 in 2012,( it's wayyy to soon) they should just stick with maintaining windows 7, they should just milk windows 7 because it's so successful, windows 7 is only a year old!!

they should wait as long as that win XP to vista release , a total of like 5 years until release win 8 new operating system.

oh god OS X fonts are blurry and annoying

Are you sure your display was set up properly? I have a MacBook and the font smoothing on that thing is the best I've ever seen.

I guess its just a matter of preference really, I personally can't stand OS X's font smoothing...maybe I'm just way too used to the way Windows does it :/

i think it's just ridiculous/ selfish that Microsoft is going to release windows 8 in 2012,( it's wayyy to soon) they should just stick with maintaining windows 7, they should just milk windows 7 because it's so successful, windows 7 is only a year old!!

they should wait as long as that win XP to vista release , a total of like 5 years until release win 8 new operating system.

Why? You do realize 7 will still be supported when 8 gets released right? It's not like MS will completely discontinue updates for it the instant 8 hits the shelf.

They should definitely ship it around 2012. We all know what happened when they took 6 years to update their OS, no need to go through that again. And really, aside from XP, all Windows releases have come out in 2-3-year intervals, this is nothing new for them.

We don't need another version of windows for a while, especially one that is mostly or even partially "in the cloud", however I think OSX could stand for a complete overhaul, as long as it stays away from "the cloud" as well.

I hope it's a Cloud OS with deep integration into the web. I hope you only get a client to login to the webOS, without a full OS installation on your PC...

And god i hope you are wrong! Perhaps a installation choice for offline (local) or online (cloud) based installation of windows. that would be good :)

Edit: It would also help migrate as with x86 to x64 architecture. its not over night but slow and people are not hurt or freaked. me i prefer offline.

I hope Windows 8 has a few extra cloud utilities and such, but overall, if they take what they have achieved with Windows 7 and build upon it - they can't go wrong.

It was a question rather than a statement really, I wasn't sure what you meant by cloud-based versions of Windows. Did you mean all of the data and applications are run on the cloud? If so then that just sounds like an OS that is simply an RDC into a virtual machine housed at Microsoft which would be slow and a bit clunky.

But I guess that's not what you meant?

No you're right that's roughly what I meant, and by making a cloud based version hopefully all this slowness and clunkyness can be overcome since the OS is designed for this type of usage.

This type of OS can then be deployed for businesses mainly and housed on a private server, not an MS one

I hope Windows 8 has a few extra cloud utilities and such, but overall, if they take what they have achieved with Windows 7 and build upon it - they can't go wrong.

That's my view as well. We'll see nothing like the Chrome OS, in fact Microsoft is rumored to be working on an app store, which suggests whatever they're doing, they're planning to keep some emphasis on traditional apps. They can't make any radical changes to the platform without getting a lot of heat from business customers, which I doubt they can afford right now. It's gonna be a slow process.

No you're right that's roughly what I meant, and by making a cloud based version hopefully all this slowness and clunkyness can be overcome since the OS is designed for this type of usage.

This type of OS can then be deployed for businesses mainly and housed on a private server, not an MS one

I think the disadvantages of that WAY outnumber the advantage(s). And I think you're being slightly optimistic about how much the OS has to do with the quality of remote desktop. It all has to go through a network; that's where the main bottleneck is.

I don't get this fascination of taking everything that works fantastically well and on the cheap today; processing, storage and so on and putting it on 'the cloud'.

Cloud computing is great for calculations and rendering, but it's just a bit pointless for consumers right now.

I think the disadvantages of that WAY outnumber the advantage(s). And I think you're being slightly optimistic about how much the OS has to do with the quality of remote desktop. It all has to go through a network; that's where the main bottleneck is.

I don't get this fascination of taking everything that works fantastically well and on the cheap today; processing, storage and so on and putting it on 'the cloud'.

Cloud computing is great for calculations and rendering, but it's just a bit pointless for consumers right now.

Tell that to all the Gmail users out there. The widespread move from desktop clients to web email interfaces proves other apps can share that fate. In the end you're cutting deployment costs and making maintenance easier, since everything will be the same across the board and the need for updating/reinstalling will be next to none.

windows 8 NEEDS a massive UI overhaul.

yeah windows 7 had a small refresh of the ui

but there are SOO many problems and old stuff clogging windows 7 ui that its insane

all the old low res icons. all the bmps, all the ico's with 20 icons contained inside a single ico when all ms really needs to do is make a 512 or 1024 png and have DWM scale it down to the right size.

cpu power is abundant. hdd/sdd and ram on the other hand, are not

bmps are massive!.

they could make Windows 8 x64 run COMFORTABLY in 512MB ram if they did the DWM png scaling and replaced the bmps alone.

and my computer is a dual core i3 with hyper threading (not a speed king but better than my old computer with an AMD sempron) and 6gb of ram windows 7 x64

and i can see all the optimization that could be done very easily, but they wont do for some reason.

Maybe Microsoft can get rid of that prehistoric dotted selection line for a change and update it with something more modern looking. Then again, I'm pretty sure that's like asking for the impossible and Microsoft will probably try convince us it has to stay there due to "compatibility reasons" for applications dating back to the moon landing.

screenshot20110105at210.png35458602.png66742192.png

To this very day there is legacy artwork scattered all over the place and the system icons are a random mishmash of Windows 7, Windows Vista and legacy styled symbols. Not to mention the fact that most third-party Windows developers can't be bothered at all to create modern and clean looking interfaces.

Can't stand Windows' font rendering either. Almost fonts look like they're suffering from severe anorexia especially on a screen such as my 27-inch iMac.

It's a real shame that the Windows team doesn't seem to care much about polish, if at all.

the focus rectangle? it looks like something straight out of Windows 95.

i completely agree, the whole graphics system needs to be overhauled.

fonts to me are a little aliased and hard to read (cleartype tuner helps)

but all the old **** that is like you said scattered all over the place and the fact that NO one seems to give a single **** about how there interface looks makes me want to jump over to mac immeaditly

the ONLY software company i know of that actually takes the time and work to make a nice UI on windows is Adobe,

Acrobat, Photoshop, Soundbooth all look fantastic considering what of a pile of crap they were handed

if Apple only would unlock there OS and allow it to be installed on a normal PC. (i've tried hackintosh, it was a mess)

I don't think we need another Windows release anytime soon. There's nothing wrong with Windows 7 and everyone loves it. Why do we need to have someone rip the rug out from under us again? Oh yeah, because MS wants to tell us how to use our computers again. Honestly, this is getting ridiculous. Granted, I love Windows 7 as much as the next guy, and we all know Vista was a piece of ****, but at least let Windows 7 sink in some more.

I don't think we need another Windows release anytime soon. There's nothing wrong with Windows 7 and everyone loves it. Why do we need to have someone rip the rug out from under us again? Oh yeah, because MS wants to tell us how to use our computers again. Honestly, this is getting ridiculous. Granted, I love Windows 7 as much as the next guy, and we all know Vista was a piece of ****, but at least let Windows 7 sink in some more.

They can't go too long without a release. Win7 would become the new XP.

it already has become the new XP

ms will have the same problems they had with xp when they release Windows 8.

they need to scrap ALL windwos code.

and rewite it from the ground up.

AND THEY NEED TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION WITHOUT TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION HOW HARD IT IS TO MAKE, or how expensive

they need to sacrifice there lazieness. and do what is needed so that they wont need another rewrite 10 years from now

windwos needs to be a platform, now only for out side devolment, but for extensability.

THEY NEED plugins for almost everything.

why is Photoshop 21 years old. and NEVER having had a rewrite?

PLUGINS!

explorer needs them, the codecs need to be more plugin like than if this **** dosent work im gonna BSOD.

windows has rotten from the inside out do to LAZY devs.

and i want windows to run COMPLETELY in 256mb ram, not from nessacity, but becasue it dosent need to use all the damn ram.

and i want them to start the Windows replacement OS to have NO BUGS OR GLITCHES AT ALL EVER

fix EVERY BUG THAT CROPS UP

who cares what it costs.

if they start out Dev like that, yeah it will take along time to wirte, and yes it will be spectacularly expensive.

but it will be a platform that they will use for everything including Xbox, windows phone, and every other OS that they make.

thats how they need to do it.