.avi on Wii

Is it possible to play .avi video content on the Nintendo Wii via a USB memory stick? (like you can on the Xbox 360 and PS3)

I ask as I have some video content which my sister wants to watch, and as she has a Wii would this be possible? I can't be arsed to spend time burning a DVD, where as I could just lend her one of my memory sticks with the content on instead.

Saves me time and discs.

I myself don't own a Wii so if someone out there knows the answer, please could I have it? :rofl:

No... As far as I know the only video playback a Wii is capable of is the Wii Shop/Nintendo Channel and Netflix streaming. You could always just upload it as a Flash video to somewhere and give her the link to it. The Internet Channel will play back most Flash content.

Yes you play play videos if you hack your wii and install the homebrew channel. However since the Wii has awful hardware, you won't be able to play anything above SD.

Alternatively and more easily you can use Orb where the changes take place on a computer within the same network.

Yes you play play videos if you hack your wii and install the homebrew channel. However since the Wii has awful hardware, you won't be able to play anything above SD.

yeah hes right i was just reading about the mplayer app

Yes avi plus many other file types, also dvd's depending on the model of your wii, all with no change to the hardware. you could have found all this out with a 2 second google search and I recommend you do that to find out how to actually go about doing it

Wii's Photo Channel

File types compatible with the Photo Channel

The Photo Channel can display or play files in the following formats and sizes:

Image Files:

Format: JPEG, baseline only

Size: Up to 8192x8192

Video Files:

File format: Quicktime (motion JPEG) format (MOV)

AVI (Motion JPEG) format (AVI)

Audio Files:

on Photo Channel 1.0 MP3 format

on Photo Channel 1.1 AAC format (extension .MP4, .m4a audio files)