• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Neowin Digital Gallery

Dane    177

I signed a piece of paper, scanned it in and edited in Photoshop so it's just a transparent .PNG I throw on top of my images :)

Oh wow, that's really cool!

richardsim7    125

Heh, thanks :)

Dane    177

Heh, thanks :)

I am purchasing a D3100 after it comes out, and was curious of ideas of putting my name on the pictures. I was thinking just finding a really cool font, and typing my name out and putting in the picture that way. Kind of like a script font.

Also can anyone recommend whats better? Polarized filter or UV filter? Will I notice a difference? My friend has a UV filter on her T1i and it's amazing I think.

sask    0

I am purchasing a D3100 after it comes out, and was curious of ideas of putting my name on the pictures. I was thinking just finding a really cool font, and typing my name out and putting in the picture that way. Kind of like a script font.

Also can anyone recommend whats better? Polarized filter or UV filter? Will I notice a difference? My friend has a UV filter on her T1i and it's amazing I think.

Polarized filters and UV filters serve different purposes. UV filters aren't really needed on digital cameras but the majority of people still buy them to protect lenses. UV filters are pretty much a clear piece of glass. I'd say skip a UV filter on something cheap like a 18-55. You should probably just read some articles on polarized filters to see what they can do. It'll be better than my explanation. Essentially they do things like deepen the blue in the sky and reduce glare from some things.

Dane    177

Polarized filters and UV filters serve different purposes. UV filters aren't really needed on digital cameras but the majority of people still buy them to protect lenses. UV filters are pretty much a clear piece of glass. I'd say skip a UV filter on something cheap like a 18-55. You should probably just read some articles on polarized filters to see what they can do. It'll be better than my explanation. Essentially they do things like deepen the blue in the sky and reduce glare from some things.

So you saying skip the UV filter, should I just skip them both or just get a polarized one?

I'll be taking alot of pictures outside.

o0moonman0o    54
5002994152_0ba3afd275_z.jpg

Argote    73

So you saying skip the UV filter, should I just skip them both or just get a polarized one?

I'll be taking alot of pictures outside.

You should probably take this to a separate thread, in the meantime though:

A UV filter is basically used nowadays as a piece of glass in front of your lens that serves the purpose of collecting dust and taking the scratched you don't want your front element to take, if anything happens to it just get a new one and the lens is still good. Make sure you get a multicoated one though or it can slightly degrade your image quality.

The recommendation not to get it for the 18-55 comes rom the fact that it's a cheap lens and he claims it's not worth it to spend money to protect it (I beg to differ though).

As for the polarizer, it basically polarizes light, which means that it blocks light that is coming from one angle but not light coming from other angles. This is helpful to avoid certain reflections (particularly on water and glass) and it, for example, makes the sky look like a deeper blue due to it blocking some of the light.

It has it uses and you should definitely research more on the topic.

Dane    177

You should probably take this to a separate thread, in the meantime though:

A UV filter is basically used nowadays as a piece of glass in front of your lens that serves the purpose of collecting dust and taking the scratched you don't want your front element to take, if anything happens to it just get a new one and the lens is still good. Make sure you get a multicoated one though or it can slightly degrade your image quality.

The recommendation not to get it for the 18-55 comes rom the fact that it's a cheap lens and he claims it's not worth it to spend money to protect it (I beg to differ though).

As for the polarizer, it basically polarizes light, which means that it blocks light that is coming from one angle but not light coming from other angles. This is helpful to avoid certain reflections (particularly on water and glass) and it, for example, makes the sky look like a deeper blue due to it blocking some of the light.

It has it uses and you should definitely research more on the topic.

Thanks!!

sask    0

All photos have EXIF info intact if you visit Flickr to view the images.

From this Flickr photo set: San Diego (September 2010)

Nice set. I really like the fighter photos.

Draconian Guppy    13,038

Awesome fighter photos! Cheetah looks sad though :/

sin-ergy    2

Awesome fighter photos! Cheetah looks sad though :/

I was thinking the same :( sad cheetah is sad.

jafoman    8

Thanks! The cheetah photos do get comments about how sad they look. At the time I took the pics I didn't think they were sad. Cheetahs have always been favorite animal.

crazzy88ss    65

cheetahs just look naturally sad sometimes.

TAZMINATOR    12,421

Great photos, Jafo!

Here is mine from today:

post-277494-12849306610054.jpg

crazzy88ss    65

5006736876_27d11f20ee_z.jpg

5006020599_daaaca92c7_z.jpg

5006632326_fdf077d34d_z.jpg

5006020465_de33e6fa5e_z.jpg

5006736606_d4c2683e06_z.jpg

twas rainy

5006631648_12f6cc987f_z.jpg

5006018151_3359997b46_z.jpg

Bubbabyte    14

A nice day of fun in the rain..lol It amazes me at how little it takes to make kids just get insanely happy..lol

5016431656_9a21b4d7ae.jpg 5015822665_ba145541bb.jpg

5016431312_7af433b55c.jpg 5016431122_d72b67b6dc.jpg 5016430592_f01c1c04d9.jpg 5015823435_3c738a61d8.jpg

Dane    177

Figures the night after I decide not to buy an SLR, we get a thunderstorm. Atleast my cheap point and shoot got one picture of what I wanted.

5017284703_196fd86aab_z.jpg

richardsim7    125

Very nice - I'm praying for a thunderstorm but we NEVER get them! :(

sin-ergy    2

damn that kitteh needs his nails cut! :o

crazzy88ss    65

I love how the internet universally refers to cats as "kittehs" :p

crazzy88ss    65

5021015890_327e6217fb_z.jpg

5020406139_7dc2707e9b_z.jpg

5020405973_b05259bbc5_z.jpg

5020406623_c7c3793527_z.jpg