Zune software as optional Microsoft update!

Is someone else getting this in Microsoft Update? I saw this on one of my systems which doesn't have Zune installed.

post-62693-12835268456524.png

IIRC this is the first time they have pushed Zune as an optional "update". On one hand I don't mind because I like using Zune but on the other this smells like the same tactic that apple used to push Safari. The difference being Safari was selected by default and here Zune is not.

My MS update settings is all Microsoft software, which might be one of the factors. I had installed Zune on this particular PC but removed it aftre it clashed with WMP playlists (may be it's reading some leftover registry settings?).

Cool :) I think Zune player is great for the UI. I hope MS fuses WMP and Zune (The Function of WMP with a UI like Zune) in Windows 8 for WMP13/14.

Zune 4.2 is the update that adds Windows Phone 7 compatibility by the way. Also, last year when 4.0 came out it was offered under optional updates.

aah, must have missed that.

It's because you turned on the tell me about/update other MS apps

right, but it didnot show up in last month (for older Zune version 4.1 or whatever)?

No Microsoft it's called Microsoft "Update" you are not meant to try and shunt your new products at me.

You mean you forgot when they did it with .NET? How about Silverlight?

What, short attention span?

You mean you forgot when they did it with .NET? How about Silverlight?

What, short attention span?

Shut up I know they've been doing it for ages, oh and you forgot Windows Live Essentials from your little list there.

No Microsoft it's called Microsoft "Update" you are not meant to try and shunt your new products at me.

Do you have this checked?

post-62693-12835445121576.png

Shut up I know they've been doing it for ages, oh and you forgot Windows Live Essentials from your little list there.

So what's your point then? If you don't want it don't click the button. Is that really a problem that they're offering things for people who want them?

If you don't have it set to tell you about new MS software updates then it wont. They're optional, what MS is doing is hardly comparible to what Apple has done (download one app and get another or more installed by default).

On topic though, I've had Zune 4.2 installed since it came out, though I don't have a ZuneHD I've switched to using the Zune software to manage and play all my music. It also streams my music to my 360 as well. The official Zune software for WP7 will be v4.7 though, from the looks of it. I thought they'd just jump up to v5.0 when WP7 hit but oh well.

I'm guessing they have a planned featureset for 5.0 that wasn't ready.

Probably, I just expected that with WP7 using Zune software for media etc that they'd go to 5.0 in Nov.

I just wish I could still download some of the videos I bought a long time ago. It's silly that there's a one year limit on downloading to your PC yet you can download them to your Xbox whenever you like.

Zune 4.2 is the update that adds Windows Phone 7 compatibility by the way. Also, last year when 4.0 came out it was offered under optional updates.

No it's not. 4.2 (4.2202.0) is the current release. It's also been available for some time, and on Windows Update. It's an *optional* update, which allows you to optionally get the Zune software over WU, if you so choose. The WP7 compatible builds of Zune are at 4.7 on Connect, with the .7 having no real build significance other than to match WP7. It's likely to get a Zune 5 versioning when it comes out, add might have some new features, or stuff like 4.0's Radio feature (which exists in the 4.x release as present, but disabled) might get finished off and added.