Resident Evil: Afterlife

If you have watched the trailers already then save your money, there's nothing else worth watching.

Seriously, the movie is not just bad, it's pathetic. The story (so to speak, there's hardly a story in there) sucks and so do the action sequences, and just to worsen it all it's filled with loads of stupid-but-oh-it's-3D scenes, not to speak of the boring use of slow motion in already slow scenes.

With all that 3D stuff and the money they might have spent wasted on CGI and FX you would think that at least the action sequences would be worth watching. Heck, I expected Wesker to perform some awesome moves at the very least, but besides a couple of dodges (that looked very fake, actually) he doesn't do crap.

A perfect example of a movie focusing on 3D alone as selling point, and abusing it on stupid scenes specifically designed for the 3D effect (all of them in slow motion, which makes them hardly impressive).

To top it all there are almost no zombies (there's probably a total of about 5 of them in the whole movie, plus a very short and rather ridiculous sequence with some more... yeah, that sequence from the trailers). And the ending sucks.

If you want a movie about zombies better go watch La Horde.

2/10

Liked the movie in general...but yeah, did not feel like a complete movie. It just seemed to me stuff wasn't explained well enough/didn't follow up on (opening bit), and the ending was just left wide open. It seemed more like it should have been about 1/3 of the actual movie. I liked what I saw, it just didn't have a full thought out plot it seemed

It's a good action movie, without any form of horror. It's Alice against Umbrella with some zombies in the way. It's plain obvious that we will see part 5 and Jill will be back. 10 seconds of Jill was not enough. Claire is quite hot and we get to see K-Mart for what, 30 seconds.

All in all, good action movie. I give it 7/10, for me it was almost as good as the firt one.

totally disappointing movie, seriously there was no excitement in movie, i wanted to see some more action in fight with Wesker.....but in the movie he seems like easy villain.....chris redfield looks like an extra but in resident evil series he is one of the main characters...

4/10

Not good, More like the matrix than any Rez evil movie, feels like a different director/producer (Havent checked)

Lots of parts of the movie that did not seem to join up into a storyline, and left wide open at the end for another one

and Milla Jovovich is getting old :(

3/10

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a fan of these flicks since the original but that was easily the worst of the bunch. Bad plot, bad ending, bad agent smith wannbe and the only bit of t&a comes at the end of the flick.....fail. No one even expects much from these movies, good action, zombies, and some impractical sexy outfits. You have to be a pretty bad director and screenwriter to fail at such a basic formula.

Ive seen better movies on youtube than that pos.

Totally agree, it just seemed to drop off a cliff compared to the last one. I think going 3D was a mistake, they tried too hard in the film to have everything coming at you, i was very bored.

2/10!

• 2 months later...

I am the opposite, I feel the one is the MOST like the games, thus it has to be the best one so far!

The first 3 can kiss my ass if they don't follow the video games much at all.

I am assuming most of you didn't like this, not a RE game fans much to begin with? And if you judge this movie based on the first movie, it's sad.

Resident Evil is based on Capcom's popular Video game, it's NOT based on the first movie!

I don't even care if you thought the first movie was good, it was NOT better... very FEW elements like the games.

And OP said there are almost NO zombies :rolleyes: Are we watching the same movie? In that Citadel there are more Zombies than the first 3 movies COMBINED!

I guess what I am trying to say is, think I am a big Resident Evil Video Game fan more make me appreciate how this movie has the most in common with the VGs that those of you don't play the games may not realize...?

Easily the BEST RE movie(That do justice to the Video games) made - 4/5!!!

And OP said there are almost NO zombies :rolleyes: Are we watching the same movie? In that Citadel there are more Zombies than the first 3 movies COMBINED!

Outside, they are part of the scenery. The only interaction is a short action sequence.

I guess what I am trying to say is, think I am a big Resident Evil Video Game fan more make me appreciate how this movie has the most in common with the VGs that those of you don't play the games may not realize...?

Well, I've played RE2 several times, and also 4 and 5 (with both characters, getting all the weapons, etc...).

It certainly takes more elements from the games than the previous 3, but most of them taken out of context (eg. the executioner with the huge axe, the chest-attached mind control device, the zombies with the spliced mouth...).

The first movie wasn't good, but I took it as kind of a spin off. It just got worse when they began using main characters as sidekicks for Milla while throwing random stuff from the games in the middle.

Just my opinion though wink.gif

I liked it, the 3d in particular was imho very good (but that's what I expected - they bragged in the trailer about is using same cameras as Cameron did for Avatar), overall 7/10.

Not good, More like the matrix than any Rez evil movie, feels like a different director/producer (Havent checked)

Lots of parts of the movie that did not seem to join up into a storyline, and left wide open at the end for another one

and Milla Jovovich is getting old :(

3/10

35 isn't old, even for a Female action movie star

Movie itself was OK like many said, seemed like part of a whole movie and was incomplete, maybe 5 will fill in the blanks

Eh, it was alright. Having played RE5 I noticed the nods towards it, but for someone who hasn't played it I could understand how it might have seemed disconnected from the others.

The next film (and given the ending of this one, there has to be another planned) should follow the RE5 game. Fight their way off the boat, then have Chris get word that someone in Africa is trying to sell a BOW. Head over there, meet Sheva, do battle with that lanky guy (wikipedia says Ricardo Irving, so alright him) then get an explanation about the Progenitor virus, do battle with Wesker (while learning about the mind controlling device) and kill him once and for all, thus bringing the films to an end. As Afterlife proved, they're running out of ways to introduce zombies without them being either a background or a so-far unexplained mutation.

However, back to this film: like I said, it was alright. I'd probably give it a 4 - pretty mindless entertainment, but entertainment all the same.

As an aside, I was really hoping that the executioner's mask would come off; it always interested me when playing the game to know what was underneath that hood, and I was interested to see what the films take on it would have been. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the movie today, IMO they overdid the bullet time scenes and like others said the villain was very easy to kill.

Wentworth was sidelined should have been give a lil bit more screen space. 4/10

The movie was basically a 3D showcase. If you don't get 3D or just saw it in 2D, you are missing a huge chunk of the movie. It was a day one 3D blu-ray purchase for me. In addition to the top of the line picture quality, the audio track is absolutely brilliant too.

I would rank the movie itself below the first one, but definitely better than RE: Apocalypse.

AQ/PQ 5/5

Movie 3.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

These movies are so infuriating after how good the first one was. The second one started out good as well, but then with the third it just all went to hell. This one is most like the third, in that it has some decent parts, but other aspects of the movie just ruin it. Almost any time they actually focus on Umbrella, the story goes to **** and just becomes ridiculous. The nameless, boring "bad guy" in this movie was just stupid. And the movie never addressed why they brought the big, sledgehammer wielding bad guy from the games without any reason why, as he clearly doesn't fit with the movies' storyline.

When the movie focused on the survivors in the prison, it was doing good. Why they didn't stick with that aspect of the storyline I don't understand. Similarly,

the survivors were picked off in a really boring fashion

. All the action scenes that relied so heavily on CGI were equally bland; I understand they did that for 3D, but still. It's not a bad movie, but it's just frustrating that the first movie was good and the second one wasn't too bad, and yet these past two movies in the series were not up to those standards.

2.5/5