Office 2011 for Mac hits Microsoft volume licensing servers

I was hoping the Outlook would support Hotmail a bit better (I was hoping for something similar to the exchange support we have on the iphone :()

How does it work? What's limited about it?

Does 2011 install side by side with 2008 okay? Or will that cause problems?

And would this volume license version be the absolute final gold version? Or are they going to change something up before it goes retail? I mean, they have a month or so before release... right?

Does 2011 install side by side with 2008 okay? Or will that cause problems?

i would assume this would be the same as on windows (multiple versions of office don't play nice together) it is still a microsoft product after all

i would assume this would be the same as on windows (multiple versions of office don't play nice together) it is still a microsoft product after all

What does it being from Microsoft have anything to do with the fact that two versions side-by-side don't function well together?

And I don't think that's even true, because I had Office 2008 and Office 2011 Beta installed on the same system and they worked completely fine.

And would this volume license version be the absolute final gold version? Or are they going to change something up before it goes retail? I mean, they have a month or so before release... right?

They need that month to press the final version onto discs and stock retailers.

You can't RTM tomorrow and have it in stores around the world the same day.

Well in this case I know that the two programs can co-exist just fine in their basic form as an application, but my main concern was the Application Settings data in the Library or the Microsoft User Data folder in Documents would have conflicts between the two different versions...

Then I remembered that on my old Mac I had 2004 and 2008 installed side by side without any issues... I think the only issue came up when I tried to uninstall 2004 and it ended up removing some of the vitals from 2008... That's what you get when you have to use Installer.app to install/uninstall something...

Wat.

Office versions play together fine, the only product you can't install two of at the same time on Windows is outlook.

Someone has reported there's no iCal integration in Outlook.. What the hell? From what I've seen in beta, there's no way to sync Outlook with iPhone via iTunes directly, so I was crossing fingers for that being added before the final release. Quite a shame it did not. Is there a workaround that would sync my iPhone with Outlook calendars?

I want to test Outlook with Hotmail, Entourage sucks terribly on this, it duplicates all of my emails, it ignores I already have them locally on my machine and download them again and again and again and ....... ?? :crazy: it really ****es me of

So what is the final RTM build?

Microsoft Office 2011 14.0.0 (build 100825)

or

Microsoft Office 2011 14.0.0 (build 100825.3)

or are they the same? I read the final build was 100825.3 but when you open Office 2011 and go where it says "ABOUT" is says: Build 100825

So what is the final RTM build?

Microsoft Office 2011 14.0.0 (build 100825)

or

Microsoft Office 2011 14.0.0 (build 100825.3)

or are they the same? I read the final build was 100825.3 but when you open Office 2011 and go where it says "ABOUT" is says: Build 100825

Beats me. I have 100825. Seems final.

Beats me. I have 100825. Seems final.

I second that; I pulled it straight from Microsoft and 100825 is the latest version.

Scorbing, who told you that the latest was 100825.3 was the latest build?

I've been using Office 2011 RTM for the past few days. It's a definite improvement over Office 2008.

Something I just found: If you don't like the ribbon colour, you can make it look more native-ish in Word/Excel/Powerpoint. Click on the settings button on the outer right of the ribbon -> Ribbon preferences -> under Appearance set it to 'Graphite'. Result:

post-1302-12853239615021.png

Yeah that option has been there in the betas as well. Makes the application look more appealing IMO. Although you can't set Outlook's ribbon to use the same color, which I don't understand.

Yeah that option has been there in the betas as well. Makes the application look more appealing IMO. Although you can't set Outlook's ribbon to use the same color, which I don't understand.

Me neither, but hey - I'll take what I can get. Expecting 100% consistency across all MS Office apps would be too much to ask for. :p

I know I've said this too many times but I love Outlook; I'm using the notes function, the calendaring, the mail function to its full potential. Using Office for Mac is no longer like hammering nails into my eyes - Word is super snappy and reliable, everything happen so fast. I've transferred files between university and home, not a single formatting issue. I can't wait till 2013 comes out with hopefully a fully Cocoa application like Outlook is.

I honestly can't deal with the lack of smooth scrolling. Especially not when owning a Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse.

You can tell there's a huge difference in performance between Outlook and the rest of the applications. Outlook feels responsive, quick, has little to no weird interface quirks. Then you have Word, Excel and PowerPoint which are filled with quirks, poor animations, slow performance, weird menus and toolbars and no smooth scrolling.

However, why on Earth won't Outlook integrate with Mac OS X? No iCal and notes syncing is a deal breaker to me.

I honestly can't deal with the lack of smooth scrolling. Especially not when owning a Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse.

Which is lacking smooth scrolling?

Which is lacking smooth scrolling?

Word, PowerPoint and Excel all lack smooth scrolling. Not a shocker since its still the same aging stuff given a fresh lick of paint. Only Outlook has been rewritten pretty much from the ground up, which clearly shows.

Word, PowerPoint and Excel all lack smooth scrolling. Not a shocker since its still the same aging stuff given a fresh lick of paint. Only Outlook has been rewritten pretty much from the ground up, which clearly shows.

Meh, its functional; i don't see anything wrong; the scroll bar isn't jumping around when I use the scroll gesture. What do you mean by 'lacking' - what is wrong with the current situation?

Meh, its functional; i don't see anything wrong; the scroll bar isn't jumping around when I use the scroll gesture. What do you mean by 'lacking' - what is wrong with the current situation?

If you're not using one of the Apple-made mousing devices (like the trackpads or the Magic Mouse), you'll notice the scroll jumping around. The Apple-made devices make up for the lack of smooth scrolling in poorly done apps, but it also reduces the scrolling performance.

They don't make up for it fully though. It's still jerky compared to, let's say, Pages. And yea performance does take a hit.

Mac OS 9 and Windows 98 are functional as well, that doesn't mean they're up to today's standards. "Lacking" means something isn't available. So to rephrase myself: Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Word 2011 don't have smooth scrolling.