[Football] Winter Transfers 2011

Very early for this thread I know, but rumours are already circulating so we need a place to post them.

Here's the first one I came across.

Arsenal have reportedly agreed a deal with Spain star Jesus Navas.

According to Itasportpress.it, the Sevilla winger and his representatives have a verbal agreement with Arsenal - with future discussions set to take place to officially finalise a deal.

Arsenal have allegedly beaten off competition from Juventus and Chelsea for the 24-year-old La Liga ace.

Navas could provide Arsenal with some extra dynamism as they look to win their first Premier League title since 2005, but his services will come at a price.

Arsene Wenger will have to uncharacteristically splash out to land the midfielder, with Sevilla slapping a £20 million price-tag on the World Cup winner.

The diminutive wide-man has spent his entire professional career in Seville - scoring 17 goals in just under 200 appearances.

He has 10 caps for Spain - including an appearance in the World Cup final - and has supposedly been convinced to move to the Emirates by international teammate Cesc Fabregas.

I don't know how credible Itasportpress.it is, so someone should comment on that. Assuming this is from a credible source, it could be just the winger we are missing. It also means that Rosicky might be on the way out and Cesc is willing to commit long term as according to the report Cesc is the one who "convinced" Navas to join the Gunners. I'll take it with a pinch of salt though as £20M and Wenger don't go together seeing how many midfielders we have and Wenger recently saying he doesn't want more but it won't be a surprise if we still sign him coz Wenger has lied before to throw the press off and keep the signing price down.

Oh and I hope our medical staff have discovered a miraculous cure for homesickness :p Coz Navas has very bad homesickness.

Tottenham are close to sealing a deal to sign South Africa international defender Bongani Khumalo after a successful trial at White Hart Lane.

The 23-year-old, who played at the World Cup and had been linked with Rangers, will join from SuperSport United in January in a ?1.5m deal.

"We're in the process of doing a deal. said Spurs boss Harry Redknapp. "We had him over on trial and we like him.

"He has potential, we've got a tie up with SuperSport, so we've taken him."

Born in Swaziland, Khumalo played in all three of South Africa's games at this summer's World Cup, scoring in their 2-1 win over France.

The arrival of the defender will be a welcome boost for Tottenham, who has seen Michael Dawson join fellow centre-back Jonathan Woodgate on the long-term injury list this season.

"It will be a great chance for the kid. He's a great lad," added Redknapp of Khumalo. "He comes from a poor background and he's desperate for a chance and we're going to give him a chance."

555362256.jpg

Wesley Sneijder has admitted it would be wrong for him to rule out the possibility of ever joining Manchester United.

The Inter Milan playmaker was linked with a move to Old Trafford during the transfer window and has more recently been connected with Real Madrid, where he would be reunited with Jose Mourinho.

Sneijder has dismissed talk of a return to the Santiago Bernabeu, after a frustrating spell with the Spanish club earlier in his career, but concedes it would be hard to resist a switch to United.

He remains committed to Inter at the current time despite a breakdown in negotiations over a contract extension, although he has hinted that he could end up with the Red Devils one day.

"If somebody asks me if I will ever play for Manchester United, it's impossible for me to say no," Sneijder told the Daily Star Sunday.

"How can you say that if the chance came you would not play for one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Nothing surprising there.. these "big" clubs have been spending beyond their means for years now.. I knew Barca was broke and the TV deal is what's sustaining them.. its nice to know Real is broke too.. this is what happens if you have a board like theirs.. Arsenal is not up there.. we are the only "big" club with a great "self sustaining" model and no rich sugar daddy.. hope we don't get taken over by anyone and that's why the club has given fans a chance to purchase parts of the share..

• 3 weeks later...
Inter Milan owner Massimo Moratti has claimed he could hold talks with Barcelona over the availability of Lionel Messi.

Messi is considered one of the best footballers on the planet having won numerous personal accolades including the Ballon d'Or in 2009.

The Argentina international has also played a key role in helping Barca lift four Spanish titles and the UEFA Champions League on two occasions.

Moratti is keen for Inter to add a world-class player to their squad, and has hinted the club may target Messi.

He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "(Lionel) Messi? Everyone asks me to buy a strong player. He is the strongest of all. So I'm starting to ask me the question.

"And I still have not answered neither 'yes' nor 'no'. On Sunday, I jokingly said that I would bring Messi to Inter.

"But we could only really talk about it with Barcelona. Let's see what happens in the coming days."

However, Moratti ruled out an approach for Real Madrid's Kaka, who moved to Spain from Inter's rivals AC Milan.

He added: "Kaka is a Real Madrid player and we were never interested in him."

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has rubber-stamped a deal to bring Wayne Rooney to Stamford Bridge, making him one of the world's richest players. Abramovich could compete with Manchester City's ?250,000-a-week package for the Manchester United striker, but might offer only ?20m for him.

Full story: Daily Mail

And Chelsea captain John Terry has invited Rooney to join him at the south-west London outfit after calling him "the best player in the world".

Full story: Daily Mirror

Manchester United are lining up Ajax striker Luis Suarez as a replacement for Rooney should he quit Old Trafford. The Red Devils might have to pay ?30m for the Uruguay international.

Full story: talkSPORT

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has admitted that Manchester United could make a move for striker Fernando Torres, should Rooney leave the Red Devils, but insists he will do everything to keep the Spaniard at Anfield.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Crawley Town have refused to comment on reports linking them with a move for former Arsenal winger Robert Pires.

The 36-year-old, who made 159 league appearances, scoring 62 goals for the Gunners, has been training with his former side recently whilst he searches for a new club.

The former France international was released by Spanish outfit Villarreal at the end of last season and has expressed his desire to carry on playing football for as long as possible.

Press reports have linked Pires with a move to Crawley but boss Steve Evans has refused to comment on the transfer speculation.

Evans told This is Sussex: "It is not our policy to comment on transfer speculation.

"We only announce our signings when they are confirmed, which was exactly when we signed Matt Tubbs and Richard Brodie."

lolwat

Announcement expected regarding Wayne Rooney within the hour.

EDIT -- Appears the announcement has been made.

Manchester United have released the following statement after a day of meetings between chief executive David Gill, Sir Alex Ferguson and representatives of Wayne Rooney: "We are aware that there is intense public and media interest on the club at the moment, but there are no developments of note to report today. I can confirm a number of meetings have taken place today, including with the player's representative. The outcome of those meetings will become clear in the near future. In the meantime, fans are asked to be patient."

IgSBa.jpg

Chelsea intend to challenge West Ham United for Barcelona striker Bojan Krkic.

The Daily Mail says West Ham are set to make a audacious offer for Krkic but could face competition from Chelsea, according to reports.

The 20-year-old, who can also play on the wing, hit the back of the net seven times in his last 12 games last season after struggling for consistency in front of goal.

But he is yet to find the target this season and has mostly been used as a substitute by Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

The Hammers are said to be interested in giving him a chance in England but Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has also tracked the young Spainard as he looks to add youth upfront with Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka both over 30.

Barcelona have begun negotiations with PSV Eindhoven over a move for highly-rated midfielder Ibrahim Afellay, according to reports in the Spanish media.

The Catalan club are understood to be targeting the 24-year-old as an alternative to Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, who has been repeatedly linked with a return to his boyhood club.

However, Barca have reportedly admitted defeat over the Spanish skipper because they cannot afford the Gunners' asking price, which is in the region of ?45million.

A Barca source was quoted as saying: "The money situation in the club changes the situation and today it is impossible to accept a big expense for the reinforcements."

The Primera Liga club are instead understood to be in talks over a January move for Dutchman Afellay, who has made an impact at PSV and on international duty for the Netherlands this season.

Afellay, who has been linked with numerous outfits including Manchester United and Liverpool, has confirmed his desire to depart the Eredivisie side for a bigger club.

The 24-year-old attacking midfielder, who is out of contract at PSV in June next year, could be the subject of a bidding war amongst a host of European clubs in the January transfer window after turning down a new deal in Eindhoven.

379716055.jpg

Serbian striker Mateja Kezman has had his Paris St Germain contract terminated by mutual consent.

The 31-year-old forward's deal with the French club was due to expire next summer but both parties have agreed to end the agreement ahead of schedule.

Kezman, formerly of PSV Eindhoven and Chelsea, made only two appearances from the bench for PSG this term after spending the last campaign on loan at Zenit St Petersburg.

A statement on PSG's official website said: "Paris St Germain and Mateja Kezman have reached an agreement today to terminate the player's contract.

"The club wishes to thank Mateja for his professionalism during his time in the colours of Paris. We wish him every success for the rest of his career."

Kezman's best spell so far in his career came at PSV where he hit a remarkable 105 league goals in 122 appearances.

His prolific record in Holland sparked Premier League outfit Chelsea to sign him for ?5.3million in 2004, but after failing to impress he joined Atletico Madrid one year later.

Kezman scored only five goals in 25 league appearances for PSG since first signing on loan from Turkish side Fenerbahce in 2008.

He joined the Ligue 1 side on a permanent deal a year later but failed to establish himself as a first-team regular.

I would be happy if West Ham signed him, a great freebie

• 2 weeks later...

confirmed, Afellay to Barcelona for 3 M?

really bad move IMO as they didn't sign Ozil who is younger and better player and now brig this one...

yeah I thought maybe he would of gone to a EPL club like Newcastle or Everton

where has it been confirmed?

PSV Eindhoven have confirmed they have agreed a deal with Barcelona for the sale of Ibrahim Afellay.

Afellay announced last month he would not be signing a new contract when his current deal expires at the end of the season with PSV.

A number of clubs, including the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal were linked with the Dutch international, but Barcelona have won the race for the 24-year-old's signature.

Barcelona have agreed an undisclosed fee with PSV for Afellay to arrive at Camp Nou in January with only personal terms to be finalised.

Afellay's agent, Rob Jansen, has confirmed a deal has been agreed in principle to see the classy attacker make the move to Spain in the New Year.

"That [agreeing personal terms] is definitely going to take some time," Jansen told Sports Promotion's official website.

"There is certainly no final agreement. When the time comes we will notify the media and the fans through our website."

kk

but still... do you get your quotes from sky?

even if you dont put the link can you say where you get them from please rappy (faster than putting link and better than nothing)

kk

but still... do you get your quotes from sky?

even if you dont put the link can you say where you get them from please rappy (faster than putting link and better than nothing)

its from Sky and I made the line a link...probably should of bolded it :rofl:

linky