iTunes 10.0.1

Same, except on my Mac. Do not know what you people mean by iTunes lagging when more than one operation is going on.

Try scrolling through iTunes while it starts syncing a device. While your at it try seeing how long it takes for iTunes to convert music files to 128 AAC on-the-fly to a device as well.

Also, to the "black and white interface - stuck in 50s" comment. Its an interface that fits with OS X, maybe you're on Windows, but it fits and looks well as is. There are other media players to use if you don't like iTunes on both platforms. Get over it.

Give me one example of another default application in Mac OS X that has grey-only sidebar icons, same grey checkboxes, list headers and window chrome.

This definitely couldn?t get any more bloated... but it found a way to it.

To be fair, a lot of people (myself included) that like Ping were asking for a feature like this. Now they included it, but obviously there's pushback from the people that don't want to see Ping.

To be fair, a lot of people (myself included) that like Ping were asking for a feature like this. Now they included it, but obviously there's pushback from the people that don't want to see Ping.

I don't care that Apple added Ping. I care that Apple didn't add a simple preference to turn it off and remove it from the sidebar (etc.).

I'm with Neo. I don't care about them adding new features. I care that they either completely replace others and provide no option to turn off new features.

One thing I really hate is their new artwork list view. The original view had an artwork column that displayed it perfectly. They've removed that and replaced it with a new view that doesn't make use of space very well (ie. placing text beside, not below artwork)

They really need to update it to allow Ping to be disabled without having to disable the store. I'm referring to the links in the music library, the ping sidebar, the item in the source list and the sidebar inside the store itself. If I'm not going to use it, I shouldn't have to see it, at all.

I wasn't following it all, I just read the last few posts :pinch: I don't hate Ping as much as others. I think its a great feature, assuming your into that. I've never been a fan of social networking so I don't plan on using it. I just wish they didn't try so hard to get people to use it. Everywhere you go they have links to it. Even if you have it turned off, you're constantly presented with options to enable it.

My biggest peeve with iTunes updates is they regularly remove features. Especially after we get used to using them, Genius sidebar is one of many. Although I can't say I'm surprised. They got us all addicted to top tabs in the Safari 4 beta. Then yanked them with no way of enabling them back. :crazy:

I never had problems with iTunes and though it may seem bloated, I guess it's mostly because they did't change the name yet. It's not just "tunes" anymore. It's more like the "universal media center sans iPhoto"... If you look at it like that, it is not all that bloated, IMHO. Plus, it all serves a purpose: Sync your iDevice. Sure thing, I wouldn't want Apps in my Music-Application but it's not only that anymore... It's only just still called that way.

Would you rather have seperate applications to sync your music, your books, your podcasts, your apps, your pictures and your movies with your iDevice? I personally don't...

Plus, I never, honestly, never experienced any significantly slow syncing-times since I got my iPhone 4. And even with my 3G, it only way slow on one version of iTunes or so. I remember, anyways, that it was kinda slow and then wasn't... ;) And with my iPods, starting with the mini (not nano) it all went smooth...

I think it's only half as bad as people make it... honestly, even on Windows, it might be a little less responsive but not exactly noticable, at least in my experience... But I might as well be the only lucky person on earth that never had a problem with iTunes and likes where it is heading. Except, of course, for the name. Which doesn't fit here anymore.

Oh yeah and the removing of features might be bugging. I never used any sidebar, may it be the Genius or whatever sidebar they might have thrown in there, but for some, that might be a bummer. I see that.

But I even like the new icon... or let's say... don't hate it with such a passion... ;)

Plus, I never, honestly, never experienced any significantly slow syncing-times since I got my iPhone 4. And even with my 3G, it only way slow on one version of iTunes or so. I remember, anyways, that it was kinda slow and then wasn't... ;) And with my iPods, starting with the mini (not nano) it all went smooth...

Try turning on "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC". Syncing will slow to a crawl, which really shouldn't supposed to happen on an iMac with a 2,93 GHz Quad-Core Core i7 processor in it.

I like the new icon though. :p

Try turning on "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC". Syncing will slow to a crawl, which really shouldn't supposed to happen on an iMac with a 2,93 GHz Quad-Core Core i7 processor in it.

I didn't even know that feature exists. I have my library at about 360 kbs vb for a reason... why would I want to make it even worse? :p And while it shouldn't happen, I do see that it might happen. once. after that, your songs should be converted, right? so in essence, it takes as long as it does to convert the songs manually and then sync your iDevice? ;)

But I do see what you mean. Minor inconvenience though, in my view. ;)

even with that does it fast enough for me with my macbook and my iphone 4

Yea, except I didn't really bought a Quad-Core iMac just so three out of four cores can sit idle. :p

Okay, valid point, iTunes should finally be rewritten in Cocoa. That's something that buggs me aswell. But other than that, you can never please every single customer. ;)

It sucks ass though, that you cannot use the full power of your cores in iTunes, seriously... ;)

Joy!

OS X Users:

Open Terminal, and type:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes disablePingSidebar 1
defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool TRUE

Windows Users:

Open Command Prompt, and type:

"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1
"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt disablePingSidebar 1

(For 64-bit Windows)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt hide-ping-dropdown 1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt disablePingSidebar 1

Why would you need terminal to disable the Ping sidebar? I clicked "hide" and it went away and didn't come back...

I'm still trying to find a way to get the Ping items from showing up in my contextual menu when I right click on a song.

Why would you need terminal to disable the Ping sidebar? I clicked "hide" and it went away and didn't come back...

It gets rid of the button. If you have no need for it that's fine too.