The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

I think I already said that, but I'm very worried about the language quality. I'm not expecting Bioware-grade writing, but at least something between that and the barely functional translation we got in The Witcher. This is really what broke the original for me, and yet there hasn't been a word about it for the Witcher 2. We'll have to wait and see.

To be fair, some of the speech was hilarious.

"Where is Alina?"

"She's dead."

"Oh no."

"Yes."

I can't remember the exact speech, but that conversation when you tell Julian that Alina is dead, both you and him give such insincere reactions it's hilarious. I also like other moments where you have a massively long speech from one character, and Geralt just responds after a slight pause with "Yes."

honestly i don't find the conversations in the first Witcher that bad. they're not super great, but they're not bad. what bothers me more are the broken quests where you have to meet someone and they simply don't show up no matter what time of day it is. i sure hope they've taken care of this issue with the sequel.

There not using the same game engine for the Witcher 2, so I don't see why it would suffer any of the same bugs. It will likely have different ones, but I think it will be a better game, both in less bugs, and voice acting - The Witcher was reasonably successful, they have more money to do it better this time.

sure hope you're right, often new engines mean new problems, especially with smaller teams where manpower, time and funding are serious issues. granted they've had over three years to work in this, but who knows. the first Witcher was very nice overall and had some nice graphics, but the mechanics were definitely lacking.

Conversation wise I think DAO whipped the witcher but the witchers were still enjoyable, gritty, humerous, sometimes bemusingly seductive....(maybe not :p)

Still worst dialogue in the Witcher beats 99% of the dialogue in DAO2.

In any case I predict a gamergasm rating for this sequel.

Still worst dialogue in the Witcher beats 99% of the dialogue in DAO2.

In any case I predict a gamergasm rating for this sequel.

Eh, not really IMO. There are plenty of valid criticisms of DA2 but I think it had great dialogue. The party banter especially was frequently hilarious.

well, since the first one is so broken i can't even finish it after 30 hours of gameplay, i'm considering myself excused from buying the sequel...i mean i enjoyed every minute of those 30 hours over the course of like five months, but still, quests that can't be completed? missing key plot characters? erratic camera? not good, with all due respect to the developers, i'm not risking full price for the second one. the first i got off the Steam Xmas sale, so it's not such a big deal.

The first game was merely good at best. It had terrible pacing, terrible combat, way too much backtracking, and way too many Fedex quests. The dialogue was flat and contrived at best. Graphics were great, but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing that really made it special was its potions system and its delayed morality system.

Though, the more I see of the second game, the more I drool over it. It appears to be an immense improvement over its predecessor.

The Witcher is a good game, it wasn't the best game in the world, but it was pretty good in it's genre. With the new game, it looks like they are trying to produce a game to the same quality as Bethesda RPGs, the Witcher is a good game, considering the difficulty with bugs in games of that genre, and the relative inexperience of the devs with large scale RPGs. The only bit of the plot I found dull was Chapter 4 - the whole chapter was pretty slow and random, and then the difficulty randomly got a lot harder in Chapter 5.

I think the new game will be good, but I don't think it's going to be one of the greatest RPGs ever, but maybe the Witcher 3 :shifty:

well, since the first one is so broken i can't even finish it after 30 hours of gameplay, i'm considering myself excused from buying the sequel...i mean i enjoyed every minute of those 30 hours over the course of like five months, but still, quests that can't be completed? missing key plot characters? erratic camera? not good, with all due respect to the developers, i'm not risking full price for the second one. the first i got off the Steam Xmas sale, so it's not such a big deal.

:huh: never had any issues with the first one.

I loved it, so looking forward to the sequel :yes:

Why would they do that? What pc game doesn't support 16:10? Even most ****ty ports do. This is just bizarre. I really hope that CD Projekt RED guy just mispoke.

Why would they do that? What pc game doesn't support 16:10? Even most ****ty ports do. This is just bizarre. I really hope that CD Projekt RED guy just mispoke.

Assassins Creed only uses 16:9 (16:10 maybe, don't remember seeing black bars but they might've been too small to notice) and nobody cares ;)

Eboue: you never had problems with Angus and Leuvaarden disappearing and simply not there for quests they're needed to progress?

as for the resolution issue, personally on 16:9 and i believe most people are, but still, both 4:3 and 16:10 should be supported for the next few years at least.

plenty of pc gamers have 16:10 monitors...

TV's are generally 16:9 but 16:10 monitors are still very common. For a game thats only being released on pc (for now anyway) not including proper 16:10 support sounds kind of ridiculous.

Eboue: you never had problems with Angus and Leuvaarden disappearing and simply not there for quests they're needed to progress?

I never had this problem with the Witcher.

Witcher 2 gameplay videos show castle defenders, Geralt using his words

A few gameplay videos for The Witcher 2 have popped up online, and we?ve got a couple posted for you below.

They?re from Gamespot, and the first one posted below shows castle defenders trying to stop a player from arming a ballista. The second one shows our hero Geralt helping out townsfolk with ?words and actions.?

If you click on the link above, you will see a menu with more gameplay videos of The Witcher 2. Unfortunately the links are 404-ing on us at the moment, but hopefully it will be straightened out soon.

[...]

[source:VG247]

Rating (obviously) ;)

I like the amount of different categories it has. But, I've never seen parents or shops pay any attention to game ratings - it's apparently fine to let your 7 year old kid play 18 rated games.

I like the amount of different categories it has. But, I've never seen parents or shops pay any attention to game ratings - it's apparently fine to let your 7 year old kid play 18 rated games.

Shhh, don't let ESRB know about it.