Back from the dead: One third of 'extinct' animals turn up again

Well, what do you suppose we do about it? Completely eliminate our way of life, and go back to living in caves with animal skins wrapped around our bodies using spears fashioned of bone or stone to survive? The point I am trying to make is, people go OH MY GOD, CLIMATE CHANGE. Climates change regardless of what we do. OH MY GOD WE CUT DOWN TREES TO MAKE ROOM FOR LIVING SPACE. Yes, we do, and what's your point? If we didn't, we wouldn't have room for people to farm so we have food to eat, or to live so we don't overcrowd in one spot. Pollution we COULD take care of in time, but we can't do it instantly-- people are STILL researching ways around this... and the governments may or may not hand out the funds needed to lay down the infrastructure for said change.

Seeing people just blabber like Al Gore does "hur hur CLIMATE CHANGE... har har us EVIL HUMANS are cutting down forests and little furry animals are paying the price" just annoys the crap out of me because it makes it sound like us humans should just give up, roll over, and die, and lose our rightful place on this planet in the name of the environment!

Nobody has said that we have to eliminate our way of life or give up, roll over and die (whatever that means) and there's no reason why we can't live in closer harmony with nature whilst enjoying the comforts that we currently have. Human population growth and, more importantly, consumption in the developed world are way out of control but both can be easily reduced without destroying civilisation.

We have no rightful place on this planet. We just happen to be the strongest, most powerful animal but the intellect that allows us to dominate our environment can also help us control our greed. There's no denying climate change and the furry animals that you care so little about are part of the same ecosystem that we exist in - allowing their extinction undermines our own chances of survival. Denying that extinctions are happening or that they matter is just foolish.

Everything should have a purpose.

It's very selfish thinking to say that if something doesn't serve us it should be destroyed.

Well, what do you suppose we do about it? Completely eliminate our way of life, and go back to living in caves with animal skins wrapped around our bodies using spears fashioned of bone or stone to survive?

So by not cutting down all of the rain forests or dumping toxic waste and pollutants into our air and water supply we would be forced to go back to living in caves and wearing skins. Amazing, I never knew that we had lived in caves up until the 20th century.

I don't really understand why some people are so concerned with saving animals from extinction...

It's pretty simple. Some people care about life and the world around us, while others only care about their own selfish little lives.

So what's the point of this post or the Daily Fail article? Are you trying to say that humans aren't having a devastating impact on the environment? That we're not wiping out ecosystems or habitats as we concrete over more and more land or eliminate more and more forests for farmland? That climate change isn't real?

I'm sure everyone will be pleased to hear that we haven't lost as many species as we thought but that doesn't mean that we can continue destroying the environment.

To point out how the left operates....

Whatever you say, Al Gore.

:D

Overestimating is a good way to get extra money and attention for their causes.

(Y) Exactly!!!

Well, what do you suppose we do about it? Completely eliminate our way of life, and go back to living in caves with animal skins wrapped around our bodies using spears fashioned of bone or stone to survive? The point I am trying to make is, people go OH MY GOD, CLIMATE CHANGE. Climates change regardless of what we do. OH MY GOD WE CUT DOWN TREES TO MAKE ROOM FOR LIVING SPACE. Yes, we do, and what's your point? If we didn't, we wouldn't have room for people to farm so we have food to eat, or to live so we don't overcrowd in one spot. Pollution we COULD take care of in time, but we can't do it instantly-- people are STILL researching ways around this... and the governments may or may not hand out the funds needed to lay down the infrastructure for said change.

Seeing people just blabber like Al Gore does "hur hur CLIMATE CHANGE... har har us EVIL HUMANS are cutting down forests and little furry animals are paying the price" just annoys the crap out of me because it makes it sound like us humans should just give up, roll over, and die, and lose our rightful place on this planet in the name of the environment!

carbon dioxide --> tree --> oxygen --> animals

basic science is fun!

You've done some pretty fine trolling in this thread, intentionally or not ;)

carbon dioxide --> tree --> oxygen --> animals

basic science is fun!

You've done some pretty fine trolling in this thread, intentionally or not ;)

My point is, environmentalists like to complain day in and day out that us evil humans are driving animals from their homes and cutting down trees all over the place. Great, I know, it's bad on the environment... but what's the alternative?

We don't chop down trees, we don't have wood to build our homes.

We don't kill animals, we don't have food and protein for our bodies, or clothes on our backs.

We don't continue taking more land, we run out of room for the growing population of our human race, and .. where do you suppose you're gonna put all of us?

If we all just stopped doing all this horrible stuff to the environment, then how do you expect us to live, or handle our growing population? We require food, and more than just stuff rabbits eat; we need meat, too. We're omnivores, and we require different vitamins and minerals from a variety of foods (stuff from meat, stuff from dairy, stuff from fruits, stuff from vegetables) to optimize our health. If not the wood from trees, what do we build our homes and furniture out of?

In reality, the only way we could possibly keep living as we are, but preserve the environment simultaneously, is to greatly increase or technological development and devise alternate ways to produce the things we need without needing to take it from the environment. I'm all for this, but with as money-greedy the world is as it stands, this will take a LONG time to accomplish. People require money to research and develop things, and if no one gives them said money, it won't happen. We would need to start building space stations for the growing population to live on, too, there's plenty of space out in space... after all.

Yes, humans are wasteful and many don't even throw their trash away or recycle, but to say we're all evil and should just stop what we're doing... is not the answer.