Let Me In (2010)

This is "not your typical vampire movie"....

LetMeIn.jpg

Let me just say, if you're looking for a ton of gore, suspense, and downright terror, you should probably pass on the movie.... There is all of that within, but not enough to satisfy the viewers of today, who need to see blood and gore every 30 seconds to stay interested.

My best advice is, if you're looking for a vampire movie with real substance, and not just blood and gore, you are more likely to enjoy this movie....

The storyline, without giving too much away, is about a bullied, lonely 12 year old boy, Owen, who's befriended by a girl appearing to be around his age, Abby, who later turns out to be a vampire. The two develop a close, but complicated relationship, Abby encouraging encouraging Owen to be more brave, to stand up for himself against those who are bullying him. Owen hopes to get closer to Abby, but feels she's keeping him at a distance.... Meanwhile, Abby's guardian, the mortal she chose to protect her from harm and fetch her blood, is getting old, tired, and sloppy. Abby soon finds herself being a protector for Owen as well, while continuing her search for a new guardian. The abuse inflicted upon Owen by his schoolmates continues to build until his life is in jeopardy, and only Abby can save the day (well, night, really... lol).

I've seen it twice, thought it was very good.... Better than the original, IMHO... I thought the actors (Kodi Smit-McPhee and Chloe Moretz) were much more experienced than the ones in the original Swedish version, Let the Right One In. Being a victim of bullying in the past, I felt very much for Kodi's character, having to go through so much pain and humiliation at such a young age. Parts of the movie brought back the feelings of loneliness, fear, shame, and sadness that I, too, experienced as a boy... To me, and i imagine other victims of bullying, it was like reliving the abuse all over again. Needless to say, there were several tears shed throughout the movie.

I'd give it about an 8 out of 10. I was hoping for a couple other things, which didn't turn out, but otherwise, it was well worth my money.

I've seen the original on a pre-screening about 2 years ago on the Rotterdam Film Festival. It was called "Let the right one in" (translated). Same story. To me, it was a great movie and I really enjoyed seeing it. Especially since this isn't some average gore movie and the development between both main characters (the boy and girl) was just superb. To me it seems this movie is almost identical, but I'll still see it just to see what they made of it. :)

I've seen the original on a pre-screening about 2 years ago on the Rotterdam Film Festival. It was called "Let the right one in" (translated). Same story. To me, it was a great movie and I really enjoyed seeing it. Especially since this isn't some average gore movie and the development between both main characters (the boy and girl) was just superb. To me it seems this movie is almost identical, but I'll still see it just to see what they made of it. :)

Yeah this remake is getting rave reviews, I can't wait to see "Let the Right One" In is one of my all time favourite movies

I'll try to see it soon... but my gf doesn't want to go see it :/

Tell her it's a love story. It kind of is.

It's really a story about adolescent confusion and bullying, with a vampire thrown in. I'm definitely going to check this out, as I loved the original.

^ Nah, just go and see this movie and tell her what she missed out on during the next following weeks. She'll love you for it. :)

I have to admit, remakes of movies never really do much for me, since the original is so strong. But this is one remake I'll be watching. When it gets released over here in dark dark non-american land...

• 2 months later...

Out of all of the films I saw this year, this definitely tops my list. Let Me In is downright the #1 film of 2010. I loved this film and simply cannot wait to buy this on Blu-ray to see it again.

10/10

• 1 month later...

I saw this version in the cinema before the original, i like how it was done but the overall feel of the original made it more eery.. Both very good films!

I felt the same but I totally dug this version alot and Chloe played Abbey perfectly.

Is this that good then? I saw the words Director and Cloverfield in the image and this has put me off already.

I saw both when they first came out.. both are good, however i think what brentaal said is accurate.

Don't let that statement put you off though, both are worth watching (Y) (just not straight after each other? :p)

I can't take Kodi Smit-McPhee seriously in this film though, every time he opens his mouth i think he's about to say paw paw (The Road.. also good imo.) :laugh:

• 5 weeks later...

Absolutely loved this film. There's really nothing bad I can say about it at all... it's just amazing, all-around. I recommend not reading any reviews/spoilers for it and just watching it -- it's just great. It's a shame it didn't perform better at the box office.

• 1 month later...

You'll enjoy it if you forget that it's a remake..... I mean, they both stand on their own very well... the remake is just another interpretation of the book, and set in the US rather than Sweden... I honestly think a lot of the negative reviews of this movie is based on the reviewers' love for the original, and their utter disgust that the movie was remade by the US, especially so soon... This movie is best appreciated if one absorbs himself in the movie, the emotions, the cinematography, and avoids comparing it to the original. The director never intended for it to be better than the original, so why do the viewers care?

I saw this version the day after I saw the original and I was quite surprised by how alike each scene was, and I enjoyed them both. If I have to recommend one then it would be this version simply because it doesn't have that WTF moment in it :laugh: :cry:

I saw this version the day after I saw the original and I was quite surprised by how alike each scene was, and I enjoyed them both. If I have to recommend one then it would be this version simply because it doesn't have that WTF moment in it :laugh: :cry:

explain with spoiler tags please :)

I assume the WFT moment is the scene where

Eli(as) shows (his/her) castration scar.

Personally I far, far prefer the 'original' film. I also really quite like the book [Which reminds me - there's a 'sequal' of sorts that was published last year, that I need to get round to reading.]