[iPhone] Custom SMS Text Alert sounds

Yeah its very stupid and over the last three years, i guess i just don't care. I use Winterboard and download all ringtones from Cydia including SMS Tone. Currently my SMS Tone is Xbox 360 Achievement unlocked tone. I have blackberry and other tones too :)

This in mind, I am glad I don't hear a plethora of annoying message MP3's anymore!

Thats why I keep my custom sounds practical but efficient, so they are not annoying. I use the MGS codec ringtone for my ringtone, the MGS discovered sound for texts, and one of the built-in sounds for other notifications (like email). The reason I use a different one for texts is cause they are generally more time-sensitive than email. Either way, the ones I use, while custom, are not annoying and sound like standard ringtones. None of that stupid crap music or what not on my phone for ringtones/texts/notifications.

It should always be an option to use your own sounds, granted some people use annoying as hell sounds, allowing people to pick what they want to hear when their phone rings is much better than forcing them to use the (mostly) crap built-in ones.

Is that jailbreak from your phone site still up? I'm starting to seriously think about this

I don't see why you shouldn't. When I first jailbroke my device (a while ago) I went all crazy and put a bunch of themes (before you could change the background) and other customizations. Then I got mad because the phone was performing slowly. I took it off but soon I jailbroke it again, only this time I only added what I needed. For example, it kills me that I can't see if I have a new email from the lock screen. I jailbroke it mainly so I could use Notifier.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, very frustrating that all the whinging and discontent out in interwebs land hasn't made any difference to Apple's restriction on custom SMS alerts.

So we did something about it and started an online petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/custom-sms-alert-sounds-for-iphone/

Check it out, sign it, send it to everyone you know. We want to see this happen.

Cheers!

BTW this petition is new just yesterday, so we need some help to get it off the ground, tnx.

just posting again to see if my 'resident one post wonder' status updates... ;-)

hmm guess not...

I don't know why you would want this. The default ones are perfectly fine and not too obnoxious. Those who set a 30 second SMS tone on repeat are the annoying ones.

Who said anything about 30 second SMS alerts? Ringtones can be obnoxious, and we have the ability to change them to custom sounds? I'd even be happy to see Apple set a time limit on custom SMS audio files, say of 4 or 5 seconds max.

Your point is a non point really.

Every other mobile phone can do this, even old 'dumb' ones, let alone one of the world most advanced smart phones. If you don't get it that's cool! ;) Maybe you're happy to let Apple restict you in this way, but I'm not and I think many others aren't either. If the custom SMS feature is ever implemented (fingers crossed), you can keep using the old ones mate, no worries.

A must? Please. I much prefer having a functional OS over the ability to use a custom SMS tone. What are you, 15?

You appear to be under Apple's spell, jailbreaking your device has virtually no affect of the functionality of your device.

I always had performance issues with my old unlocked 3G. Certainly JB'ing iPhone just to have custom SMS is quite a pain considering you then have to SSH to do it, mess around with system files etc. Crazy.

I always had performance issues with my old unlocked 3G. Certainly JB'ing iPhone just to have custom SMS is quite a pain considering you then have to SSH to do it, mess around with system files etc. Crazy.

Just use ifunbox. It allows you system access over usb. As far as messing around, it's really simple. You just rename your custom SMS tome to one of the existing ones and overwrite. Pretty simple.

OK, cool. but you still have to jailbreak right? I mean for me personally, customisable SMS is the only reason I would jailbreak, so to me it's seems a little bit crazy to jump through these hoops just do something so simple.

How about everyone signs this petition, we send it to Apple and hopefully we get the easy way to do it a future update?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/custom-sms-alert-sounds-for-iphone/

Who said anything about SSH'ing? Sure you can do that but JB and download ringtones. There are over 3000 ringtones on Cydia

Um, custom SMS alerts, not ringtones.

To change SMS alerts you have to mess around with altering system sounds (whether that be done by SSH or ifunbox as mentioned above). It's not the same process as loading a custom ringtone.

• 3 weeks later...

I was 'scared' as well when I had my 1st gen iPhone ready for a jailbreak. Everything went smooth, I had hardly any problems and/or performance loss. We're a few years later, a few iPhone models and I still don't complain about jailbreaks on the iPhone 2, 3G, 3GS or 4. Jailbreak for solely an SMS tone is indeed a little extreem but it can be the first step to more. Everyone uses a jailbreak for a reason, a simple small reason, and after the accomplishment they look further and find many more advantages of applying a jailbreak to your iPhone.

The only reason I use a jailbreak is because I'm sad I have to. Functions such as customizable ringtones, sms tones, themes, ... should be functional without the use of any 3rd party applications. Anyhow, I feel a jailbreak is no longer a danger for your phone. There are enough options to go back to default settings and try again if something would go wrong.