[UK] Clio or Corsa?

Whoah buddy, unless it's a necessity - hold off, spend your time looking and wait for a decent deal!

I consider it a necessity due to the amount of time I waste waiting around for public transport!

I spend half an hour a day waiting around for buses and when I go down south every other weekend I spend about two hours waiting around for trains if everything's running smoothly, longer if it's not!

If the car's no good when I go to inspect/test drive it I won't buy it :p

From the 2 you've mentioned it'd be the Clio for me, simply because of the larger engine in it. You'll really appreciate the extra power when you find yourself in a situation that needs it. And personally I've never found anything wrong with French cars so don't be put off by people saying that.

If you get the chance though, try to find an extremely cheap run about just to get one years no claims. The insurance difference is phenomenal.

I agree with you on waiting for busses. Although the price of my Train and Bus pass (?60 a month) is about 3 times cheaper than what I'd use in Diesel to go to the city and back daily in a month, it just means I can quite happily wait around when I'm saving quite a chunk of money!

From the 2 you've mentioned it'd be the Clio for me, simply because of the larger engine in it. You'll really appreciate the extra power when you find yourself in a situation that needs it. And personally I've never found anything wrong with French cars so don't be put off by people saying that.

If you get the chance though, try to find an extremely cheap run about just to get one years no claims. The insurance difference is phenomenal.

I agree with you on waiting for busses. Although the price of my Train and Bus pass (£60 a month) is about 3 times cheaper than what I'd use in Diesel to go to the city and back daily in a month, it just means I can quite happily wait around when I'm saving quite a chunk of money!

I've just realised the Corsa is an automatic anyway so that one's ruled out :( Going to test drive the Clio on Sat and look at the service history, if everything looks/feels good I think I'll go for it.

I do want a cheap run about for my first car but at the same time I need one that's going to survive a 240-mile round trip down south every other weekend!

My bus fares are £9.20 a week and train fares are £43.25 every other weekend, will be a bit more expensive in a car (especially 'cause I'll probably have to buy a £20 a week car park pass) but I'll see how it goes.

Are clios quite economical then?

I've just realised the Corsa is an automatic anyway so that one's ruled out :( Going to test drive the Clio on Sat and look at the service history, if everything looks/feels good I think I'll go for it.

I do want a cheap run about for my first car but at the same time I need one that's going to survive a 240-mile round trip down south every other weekend!

My bus fares are ?9.20 a week and train fares are ?43.25 every other weekend, will be a bit more expensive in a car (especially 'cause I'll probably have to buy a ?20 a week car park pass) but I'll see how it goes.

Are clios quite economical then?

cars are only as economical as you drive them ;)

if your serious about doing long journeys you may want to consider a larger engine size, less work on the car on the motorways leading to a quieter ride, better economy and less engine stress. if your willing to get an older car, 1999-2001, you could prob pick up a 1.8 vectra/passat/406 for around a grand, abeit with closer to 100'000 on the clock

You should always have a car checked out by a real mechanic before a purchase to make sure something isn't being hidden

I have never done this. Just check them myself, they come with a warranty anyway...

cars are only as economical as you drive them wink.gif

if your serious about doing long journeys you may want to consider a larger engine size, less work on the car on the motorways leading to a quieter ride, better economy and less engine stress. if your willing to get an older car, 1999-2001, you could prob pick up a 1.8 vectra/passat/406 for around a grand, abeit with closer to 100'000 on the clock

The insurance on a Vectra at my age with no no claims bonus will be sky high :(

I will be doing long journeys but not straight away, want to build my confidence up driving alone first!

Check the bonnet catch!

I can't emphasise this enough, it could fly up while you're driving.

Check the bonnet catch!

I can't emphasise this enough, it could fly up while you're driving.

First thing I'm gunna do :p Apparently a lot of them have this problem so if it does I'll probably buy it anyway and just get it looked at.

The insurance on a Vectra at my age with no no claims bonus will be sky high :(

I will be doing long journeys but not straight away, want to build my confidence up driving alone first!

ha true on the insurance but you might be worth checking if your over 21, also have you considered going on as a named driver with one of your rents as main driver

ha true on the insurance but you might be worth checking if your over 21, also have you considered going on as a named driver with one of your rents as main driver

Nah I want to do everything above board and I will be the main driver of the car.

Just get a Saxo VTR, its the way forward, cheap, nippy and not "too" bad on the insurance.

Much better car than either the Clio or Corsa, and I would know, I own a VTR and have drove a Clio and Corsa.

Butttt, out of the two, the Clio is the better bet :)

Enjoy you're new driving :D hehe

out of those two I would go with the clio. They maybe french and have problems, but parts are dirt cheap, cheaper than vauxhall. Plus I see more dirty chavs racing around in corsas than I do clios. My final reason for not like corsas was when a good friend of mine was involved in an accident in her 08 plate corsa, she hit the central reservation bounced back off it flipped over and hit another car. She got out but only used, after all that the air bag didn't even go off :wacko:

I consider it a necessity due to the amount of time I waste waiting around for public transport!

I spend half an hour a day waiting around for buses and when I go down south every other weekend I spend about two hours waiting around for trains if everything's running smoothly, longer if it's not!

If the car's no good when I go to inspect/test drive it I won't buy it :p

Trust me, waiting for buses is far less annoying than getting spoilt by a car and then having the thing break down and cost a fortune to fix. It's better to put up with public transport for a bit longer and ensure you get a decent car!

Doesn't that make it harder to build up no-claims bonus?

Trust me, waiting for buses is far less annoying than getting spoilt by a car and then having the thing break down and cost a fortune to fix. It's better to put up with public transport for a bit longer and ensure you get a decent car!

I agree, I'm not just going to buy any old crap car.. going to view a few until I find an acceptable one.

There's a 2003 Micra with 48k miles, a year's mot, full service history for £2495. I can't help but thinking "if it sounds too good to be true it usually is" cause all of the similar Micras I've looked at are like £5-6k :laugh: Going to try it out tomorrow anyway, this bonnet problem has put me off Clios.