Help needed deciding between three compact cameras

Hi all,

I had planned to get a DSLR however I have decided against that for now.

I would still like to get a decent camera though but something I can fit in my pocket.

I have narrowed it down to the following models after reading a lot of reviews -

• Panasonic Lumix LX5 (£350)
  • Sony HX5 (£240)
  • Canon PowerShot G12 (£400)

I am not too keen on the G12 as I owned a G11 and while it is an excellent camera it is a little too bulky to be a "pop it in your pocket" camera.

The problem is I don't know if spending the extra £110 on the LX5 is worth it?

The HX5 has some nice features such as good quality images (from the samples I have seen), 10x optical zoom, CMOS sensor and some nice built in feature such as panoramic sweep and GPS however the LX5 has a much better Leica lens and I am siding with the quality over quantity of the LX5 rather than the HX5 for this reason. Pictures from the LX5 do look better and overall while the tech specs for the LX5 are not as great as the HX5 I am thinking it might be worth it as they are about the same size and the LX5 has known excellent picture quality.

The HX5 is interesting though as it is a bit of a strange camera for the price, the CMOS sensor seems to give great pictures and I am wondering if they will rival the LX5? The extra features such as 10x optical zoom are also nice bonuses if the picture quality is as good.

Like I said I am going for quality over quantity (of features) but want to stick to the pocket size camera. The G12 would be my pick without a doubt if it was not for the size, I was also looking at the Canon PowerShot S95 which has got great reviews but the LX5 (and the HX5) seem to be recommended over it pretty much everywhere.

So what does Neowin think?

Thanks, I have decided to go with the S95. Comparing sample images from reviews all over the net as well as direct shot for shot comparisons of the cameras the image quality is pretty much identical with a few areas of strength and weakness in both cameras. That being so I decided size was the most important factor and the S95 won on that :)