Fusion OS

Hello Everyone!

Well today I will be talking about the future and upcoming features of Fusion OS as promised. But, first I want to say ?Thank You!? to everyone who downloaded and tested Fusion OS Beta 2, and to tell you that THIS TOPIC has the most replies by far in the entire Linux/Unix Forum! You have given us valuable information on what you liked and what you didn?t. So we took this feedback and came to two conclusions, what you didn?t like and what you did like so lets start off with what the majority said they liked:

? The interface

? The included applications

? Where we are going with the project

? The simplified menus

? And the just overall ease of use

We were happy to see the things that were liked, but even happier to see the thing you disliked so we can IMPROVE them! Heres what was most disliked:

? The Global ?Menu? button in the top left corner

? The lack of a main menu / app launcher

So we took this and thought how to make it better but to give the option to the users. So what we have done is removed the global menu button, and added a main menu. The main reason for the removal of the menu button, and most of the complaints, were that is was confusing to use and it was there when it wasn?t needed. And for the main menu, we are basing it off of Cardapio, because it seems to be the most polished without being overly complicated. Now we are also going to be making some revisions to the user interface. The new theme colors for fusion are: Blue, White, and Black. (many shades of blue). Also we are going to go for a more rounded interface instead of sharp. The other change to the user interface will be changes to the Glass interface: It will be what we call ?Soft Glass? instead of ?flat transparency? we are going to make the glass have a soft, gradual gradient from white to clear.

The next iteration of Fusion OS will be Beta 3 and will include all of the above mentioned features, and will hopefully include the feature we called ?Windows Application Layer? which is based on Wine as we have said previously. We have had it running on previous internal builds of fOS but have not completed it yet. And the next feature that will hopefully make it into the next Beta is Codename: ?Ingress? the login screen we have showcased before, development has not started on that yet, however, we will work hard to get it into Beta 3. So thank you for reading, and for your support and we will bring you more information as soon as possible. Fusion OS Beta 3 is slated for release next month (July), and is the last release in the Beta String. I will release a screenshot of a very recent build of Fusion OS (only a few days old) however many of the features are hidden in this screenshot. Also I will post the official CD/DVD label for your Fusion OS Beta 3 discs.

fosdevb3.png

fusionosdisc.png

- Keith

Looks good. Up until now I have not reacted and just read the messages but I am following every post in this tread. I'll wait for a final release to try it.

Sorry but that menu looks horrible. I pray you change the icon and theme .. currently it's just eww. I loved the Beta 2 look but now I'm not all for it. Please tell me it'll change.

Also can't you keep the date in the middle right, not right at the edge. It looked better that way, I'm sorry but Beta 2 seems better than Beta 3.

Sorry but that menu looks horrible. I pray you change the icon and theme .. currently it's just eww. I loved the Beta 2 look but now I'm not all for it. Please tell me it'll change.

Also can't you keep the date in the middle

right, not right at the edge. It looked better that way, I'm sorry but Beta 2 seems better

than Beta 3.

Thanks for the feedback, the menu is definabtly not done, all it is in this screenshot is a slightly customized Cardapio installation, and us far from finished. Also we could move the dat to the middle, I will put up a screenshot of the revisions tonight.

Here is the updated screenshot thats shows the search in panel, and the final arrangement of the panel, still not sure if the main menu will be included or not seeing that you can launch things from the search box, and there is an app browser, and control center. Also BIG update to our website is coming! Complete redesign! can't wait for you all to see it, its much better than the current one, and has much more content. Stay tuned to http://www.fusionos.net/ and I will post here when the update is complete.

fosdevbuildscreen.png

- Keith.

Hey Everybody,

Fianlly after a lot of work, and theme modification and switching (a lot of switching) the new Fusion OS website is up! Go to http://www.fusionos.net/ to check it out! Everything works, and is up and functional. We will be addding more content in the next few weeks and hope to update it more regularly than before. This was a big overhaul, and hope everyone likes it, please tell us what you think. The next thing is that the Bug website http://www.bugs.fusionos.net/ will get a redesign to match the main website, and also hopefully we will implement some kind of forums in the future on the site for disscussion.

- Keith.

2ebhbmu.png

Excuse me, what?

You might want to go over some of those quotes and correct them (grammar, spelling etc.). Also, I would pick and use a single desktop picture for the screen shots on your website for a unified look so people can instantly recognize the "Fusion OS" desktop. Apple, Microsoft, Ubuntu etc. all do this.

2ebhbmu.png

Excuse me, what?

You might want to go over some of those quotes and correct them (grammar, spelling etc.). Also, I would pick and use a single desktop picture for the screen shots on your website for a unified look so people can instantly recognize the "Fusion OS" desktop. Apple, Microsoft, Ubuntu etc. all do this.

Actually I think the diversity of the screenshots really put the accent on customization abilities.

Actually I think the diversity of the screenshots really put the accent on customization abilities.

Because the ability to change your desktop picture is this amazing and exiting new feature unique to Fusion OS? What you're saying makes no sense. From a promotional point of view it's good to stick to one house style on screen shots so people immediately recognize it's OS X, Y or Z. The fact you can change your desktop picture to whatever goes without saying, unless you're running Windows Starter of course.

+ 1 - The site looks really nice, keep it simple. As far as screenshots go, think Neo has a decent point, consistency and being instantly recognised is what you are aiming for, otherwise you're 'just another distro' out there from the average internet users' perspective. Keep up the good work, what stands out for me personally is the focus on speed (Y)

Any news on Beta 3 coming out soonish? Looking forward to it.

Yes Beta 3 will be released before the end of the month on July 27th, 2011. Hope Beta 3 is everything you expect it to be, glad your looking forward to it!

- Keith.

Also to anyone who is interested we are working on a news support website for Fusion that incorporates a Knowledge Base, Tickets, and even Live Support. But what I want to know is what questions do you guys have so that I can go ahead and put them in the knowledge base. If you have any questions, now is the time to ask them! :) Also if you have any submissions for helpful information to have in the knowledge base please submit that as well. Thanks.

Do you have preinstalled virtual box drives? Many of us test linux that way.

Do you mean the virtualbox guest additions preinstalled on the OS, or the actual virtual machine file?

Do you mean the virtualbox guest additions preinstalled on the OS, or the actual virtual machine file?

The actual virtual machine file. Like BeOS, Ubunto or Haiku. You can download either an ISO or a virtual hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...