Best Low Light Point and Shoot?

Looking for a new digital camera and not sure where to go. I know I need an aperture in the 2's for ideal low light on a P&S. question is, what camera? I know the canon s95 is reviewed as awesome (f/2.0) but i don't know if $360 for a camera is worth it. Thoughts on the nikon s5100? I go to a lot of concerts (up to 30 rows back sometimes) and I can't bring a DSLR anywhere. I also take a lot of outdoor pictures. Suggestions?

The Canon S95 and Panasonic Lumix LX-5 are best for this kind of work as far as I know.

Good choices! I'd agree. Also look at the Canon G11 and G12. if you're used to SLR quality, these are a good choice, and the G11 is pretty cheap atm. Stay away from Sony as they always perform pretty badly in low-light (havent looked at the two NEX units yet, but the Sony CCD's were never that good...). Fuji do very good bridge cameras, and they're cheap. Their CCD's are pretty much unbeaten. Maybe look at the Olympus PEN as its getting a lot of attention these days, but its a mirrorless DSLR.

If I had to choose and was on a slight budget, i'd probably go for a G11, but then again i'm a hardcore Canon DSLR user and I like the thought of being able to shoot in Canon RAW and being able to use my Canon 430EX II Flash with it ;)

Stay away from Sony as they always perform pretty badly in low-light (havent looked at the two NEX units yet, but the Sony CCD's were never that good...).

The newer cameras don't, Sony has moved mostly to CMOS and even the sensors used by most Nikon SLRs are built by Sony. I do agree that their lower end cameras have poor high ISO performance, the HX-5 however is pretty decent for a P&S though it is beaten by the S95 and LX5 IIRC.

As for the Canon G11/G12 / Fuji Bridge cameras, it would depend if the OP is interested in carrying around something of that size. He might as well go for a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens camera by that point (such as a NEX or a Micro 4/3 wither a PEN or a Panasonic, though the NEX is regarded to be better in the low light department). Otherwise I'd stand with my two original recommendations.

The G series is too big for me as I need something small, nor do i have DSLR experience. I purchased the s95 for $360 this afternoon. hope it goes well, thanks!

• 5 months later...