Canon 60D / Canon 550D(/T2i/KissX4)? - Need help (lenses + which body)

Hey guys!

I'm about to make my first purchase (but not usage hehe) of a DSLR! I guess at latest in a month I'll be an owner of either a 550D or a 60D!

I've read data sheets like an idiot and came to the point that the key differences between them are:

-Better build quality for the 60D, also:

-Mono LCD panel

-a few more buttons

-a bit bigger and heavier

-Speedlite

-a few more fp/s in burst (not too bad actually)

-TILTABLE LIVEVIEW!!! (This is actually the ultimate no-brainer for me, as since I'd love to do some clips of my girlfriend and me, seeing how you're actually looking is especially if you tend to always look strange on videos... (reminds me of why i'm usually BEHIND the camera haha :D))

What I don't like is the price difference - 230? roughly... If those two UK eBay dealers both guarantee me not just THEIR guarantee, but will actually give me the guarantee card by Canon and a usable invoice, because I don't feel like paying about 50? or whatnot in shipping to ship it to THEM to the UK... (And basically... I mean... Paypal buyer protection ends there... they could keep it or so... argh, idk... being paranoid... I just like to be able to go to a certified dealer to fix it)

I know I know, this sounds soooo like "invest into better lenses", but I guess I could really use the tiltable liveview. It looks incredibly promising, even though it comes with a price. Not to mention the other advantages the 60D has.

Topic 2: Lenses!

Recommend me lenses that give me a good bang for the buck... What I'm going to take pictures of varies unfortunately.

mostly it is:

Portrait / full body shots / etc... (Mainly: Cosplay pictures)

Landscape - Can't live without it... Buildings, Landscapes, NIGHT landscapes... - ALL MINE!

-Should I buy two or a combined lens for both wide and zoom?

-I do NOT want to screw up my portrait photography. A little less focus on "perfection" in landscape.

-Budget: Depends... One lens solution would mean probably under ?1200 (60D: ?800, 550D: ?550 (lol, just realised the price is funny! XD))

A two lenses solution would mean being able to take good portraits and second priority: standard landscape/night's, sacrificing extended zoom for the moment being. (adding that later with a second lens?)

Thanks a lot guys, but the lens jungle is really tough!!! >_>

What do you guys think about kit lenses? (22-55 as well as 2x-1xx/2xx)

Glassed Silver:mac

I recently bought a 60D myself and I love it. As a first time DSLR buyer, I was looking for a great consumer-prosumer camera so it was either the 550D or 60D. Considering how the 60D is just a step up from the 550D (and only a couple hundred more) and a step down from a 7D, I thought it was a good decision. And I think the articulated screen itself was a great addition. As far as the size and weight, I actually thought it was gonna be bigger and heavier that what it is, so I'm happy about that. My only nag is that the controls on the back is a little hard to get used to since it's a dial.

Overall, I think it was a great purchased.

Regarding the lenses. Well being this my first DSLR, I bought a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens to play with. So far I've gotten good results. However, I wish I have a good zoom lens so I don't have to physically move in and out to compose my shots. My opinion for landscapes, get a wide to super-wide angle zoom lens because of the 1.6x zoom factor. Which one specifically? No idea. I hope someone can recommend both of us out on that one. I'm still saving up for my next piece of glass.

-TILTABLE LIVEVIEW!!! (This is actually the ultimate no-brainer for me, as since I'd love to do some clips of my girlfriend and me,

Lols.

If you can afford it the 24-70 2.8L is the best lens i've ever used. I took it travelling for everything from landscapes (on a 5D it's even wider) to portraits, everything except super zoom. Also with 2.8 and L glass you just cannot... go... wrong.

Perfection at a price.

It seems you're set on getting a Canon camera (Any particular reasons?), in that case, I'd get these two:

http://www.amazon.de...8910821&sr=1-20

http://www.amazon.de...88911053&sr=1-4

Lols.

If you can afford it the 24-70 2.8L is the best lens i've ever used. I took it travelling for everything from landscapes (on a 5D it's even wider) to portraits, everything except super zoom. Also with 2.8 and L glass you just cannot... go... wrong.

Perfection at a price.

I think that works best in a Full Frame camera,

^It does yes, but I used it for over a year on a 30D and it was still stunning. Just not quite as wide as on a full frame.

I'd spend the extra for a 60D but the 50mm 1.8 doesn't really offer any versatility at all. It's quite nice for portraits, especially on a 1.6x, but that's it.

If you can't afford the 24-70 2.8L, or the 24-105 4L then perhaps a lower priced similar zoom range, trying to bag IS if you can as well, as that will really help you if you're closed down to 5.6 or whatever.

but the 50mm 1.8 doesn't really offer any versatility at all. It's quite nice for portraits, especially on a 1.6x, but that's it.

Well, he did mention portraits were his priority...

I would love to have the canon 50d mark ii, I will have to keep saving unless I stick it on credit, lol. My first camera, was some very good japanese make when i was 16, thats when I got into photography, I love being able to play with the aperture and shutter speeds. I think thats the best way to learn to take real photos, on a SLR. I cant believe that was 16 years ago. I do event photography now and again. I am hoping to be freelancing at some summer events next year :)

Wow... so many responses already...

Well the portrait lens should be capable of "universality" so... It should work fine for general use... ideally, for anything zooming, just getting another lens, but probably later on.

what I am currently after is - after finally deciding on the 60D, as since it gives me more freedom, versatility and performance - a good all-rounder "always-leave-on" lens, that shines in portrait, but is also good to go for landscape and night/dimmed light photo/video work.

So I basically need an IS (darn you Canon, use built-in IS in your bodies >_>) that has a good wide and sweet portrait. Combined with a low f value! :) (because of evening shots with NO flash (not the biggest fan of flash, hence I don't care a lot about Nikon's excellent flash systems))

I do already have an analogue Nikon, will have to dig it out again later, it's at my mom's.

I chose Canon because it suited my body detailed requirements PERFECTLY. on-the-spot, guys.

Wow... when did I start taking my first photos... around 6ish? Yea... Holding the cam for 15 years now and it is i believe my deepest passion!

I could not live without photography.

Currently I'm owning a Lumix fx35, an EXCELLENT compact high-end cam, built 2008 but it's still on good pace in the race!

If you happen to need a "small additional" companion along with your DSLR, go for that one. I like it a lot.

(Lens and build quality are excellent!)

@Kerm: "24-70 2.8L" -> Canon brand?

btw, @ all: it doesn't have to be Canon, can be Sigma/etc as well, as long as the quality and price are good...

Am I wrong or is it actually common knowledge that Canon is quite pricey when it comes to lenses?

What about the kit lenses?? Any good or for higher standards an immediate "throw into trash" product?

I've got a quite good offer on ebay for the body, which I would hence like to buy seperately from a lens.

Thanks so far!

So, Argote, you think that it is a good wide to portrait lens?

I'm a bit paranoid here, because there are enough pictures where a wide-angle will just spit out funny faces...

What about the sharpness of the picture? :)

Overall score out of 10?

Don't get me wrong, iI just don't want to invest in the wrong lens ;D

The lens that Argote suggested is a great 'all day' lens, but not to sound like a broken record, but the Canon 24-70 2.8L sounds exactly like what you need. It will blow you away for portraits and you'll be able to shoot landscapes as well. It's as sharp as you can get for a zoom. Simple.

Just to add another point of view, I have tried the Canon 24-70 2.8L and the Canon 17-40 4.0L for portraits and I find the former sharper. Both are still superb lenses however.

My possible budget for the lens has raised to about €500, maybe even around 600 to 700.

Can be used. (ebay, amazon [marketplace germany OR EU], im generally open towards buying in the EU (no import tax))

Also, what about Tamron lenses or Sigma?

I've heard some of them offer same quality for extremely lower prices.

Recommendations! :)

Might even consider a portrait only lens and a seperate wide to standard-zoom for later on if that helps.

Thanks SO MUCH guys, you're really giving me great help, because I'm new to buying lenses and probably don't know about some "secret diggs"...

Going to stick my oar in on the 24-70L - it's a fantastic piece of glass, especially for portraits. It's not very wide at all on a crop body, but it's a seriously amazing lens for portraiture or general pj work ;)

Going to stick my oar in on the 24-70L - it's a fantastic piece of glass, especially for portraits. It's not very wide at all on a crop body, but it's a seriously amazing lens for portraiture or general pj work ;)

Canon 7d > 60d > 550d

If its your first dslr then I would recommend the 550d as it's a great camera for new users. How ever if you really want to splash out then go for the 7d, you might struggle at first but if you are good at grasping stuff then you can learn fast.

Both good quality cameras.

In terms of lenses you can't go wrong with the canon 50mm f/1.8 great in low light and a good DOF and I got mine on eBay for ?59. I want s 24-70mm L lens though... *drools*

100mm? Portrait? In-door?

f/2.8 might be good for landscape, but in-door in low-light situations? Probably not.

Sounds like exactly just the lens i'd rather not buy for my needs. also, i'd probably cover 100mm later on with a good tele.

Glassed Silver:win

100mm? Portrait? In-door?

f/2.8 might be good for landscape, but in-door in low-light situations? Probably not.

Sounds like exactly just the lens i'd rather not buy for my needs. also, i'd probably cover 100mm later on with a good tele.

The problem there is that 100mm is practically useless for landscapes at ANY aperture.

Also, from my earlier recommendation: it seems that the 17-85 has been replaced with a 15-85 that is better in all respects http://www.amazon.de/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-bildstabilisiert-Objektiv/dp/B002NEFLDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1288976772&sr=1-1 http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1293/cat/11 plus the 15mm will come in handy for landscapes.

SLRGear.com has a lot of other lens information you might want to check out

Full frame 5D is one hell of a step for someones first DSLR xD

Definately wouldn't mind it if it wasn't that expensive.

I better invest into some good glass and also the 60D gives me tiltable liveview, which I already said is more than comfy to have.

I'm looking into freelancing with that baby sometime and maybe I'll be able to save up some cash for the 24-105 /4 L lens, which looks extremely interesting.

My current choice of glass is as follows:

1. Always-on: Canon EF-S 15-85mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM
  2. Portrait/low-light: Canon 1.8 50mm II (Although the 1.4 looks extremely interesting and the 1.2 just beats it with best bokeh andan extra app of 0.2 less... *sigh*, but it's L and therefore it's eL expenso!)
  3. Landscape/general wide: Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX (Does anyone know a better and faster one? Similar or better price and good quality - could be even prime I guess...)
  4. Macro: Just gonne use rings maybe...
  5. Tele: Canon EF 70-200mm 4L USM Objektiv - Seems like a no-brainer - in late future, because it is quite fast for a tele that "affordable" - constant apperture and it's L-quality, but not eL expenso!

What do you guys think?

What about my 15-85mm choice: does it deliver good bokeh? (Really important to me, as since I'm a bokeh-addict!)

For Macro the Tamron 60/2.0 and Sigma 70/2.8 are said to be very good and are well priced.

For Landscape if you're sticking to APS-C then the Tokina 11-16/2.8 or the Sigma 10-20/3.5 HSM are good choices

For the Always-On also check out the Tamron 17-50/2.8. I'm not sure if there's an IS (VC) version for Canon though, there is one for Nikon IIRC (we don't really care about that in Sony-land). In this case it'd be a case of Range + USM vs. Aperture.

As for the Bokeh, go look up some samples.

http://www.photozone...non_1585_3556is

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

p.s. I just read that Canon does not include lens hoods on the majority of its lenses, that sucks...