Windows Phone 7: Why It's a Disaster for Microsoft

I really can't understand why people keep raising this argument, almost as though we're still in 2007 and Microsoft is competing against first-generation iPhones and Android devices.

How the iPhone and Android used to be are irrelevant. Nobody cares. Microsoft arrived late and now has to contend with established competitors. First-gen WP7 devices against matured iOS and Android probably isn't the fairest comparison to draw, but the world isn't and never was fair. Deal with it.

First generation of ANYTHING will always ships with flaws. So if you're bothered by them, don't get a first generation device / OS. If you're willing to overlook them, find ways around them, tinker with stuff..get it.

I smell fanboism. Windows has had the worst security on it's OS for the longest about of time. If you really want to go there, you should see BSD or was it FreeBSD. It's been the most secure OS. I like to see your proof without biased or fanboism results.

I think you maybe need to learn something about OS security, and realize we're not using Win98 anymore, and most sensible people aren't using XP anymore either. Though XP is actually a very secure OS if used properly (hint, an admin account isn't properly).

and no, MS hasn't had the worst security for the longest time. that's something you have invented. and even BSD is only secure as long as you don't install anything on it, which makes it rather unusable. However as soon as you install apache on it, which is the most common usage. it's not very secure anymore.

You're on a tech forum now, throwing words like "MS is not secure" and "BSD" around, isn't going to make people here impressed by your knowledge, it'll just reveal your lack of knowledge.

First generation of ANYTHING will always ships with flaws. So if you're bothered by them, don't get a first generation device / OS. If you're willing to overlook them, find ways around them, tinker with stuff..get it.

The thing is its just a few edges that are flawed. The hardware is AMAZING (not flawed) and MORE than capable and MS promised OTA updates starting early 2011 for new features.

Most people dissing the phone will never pick one up and try it. There isn't anything "glaring" as missing and i'm sorry, the Office apps work and work really well. These are phones where the functionality isn't mean to replace a desktop but provide mobility to supplement the desktop. i expect as Office live is further integrated and cloud services entrenched more it will only improve.

Except that people like you are acting like it's sacrilege to point out these flaws, like Steve Jobs and his BS "boo hoo the tech press isn't cutting the iPhone 4 issues some slack" act. I think people deserve to know more about these issues, rather than just your attempt to gloss over them with "first-gen anything always has issues, now shut up".

Except that people like you are acting like it's sacrilege to point out these flaws, like Steve Jobs and his BS "boo hoo the tech press isn't cutting the iPhone 4 issues some slack" act. I think people deserve to know more about these issues, rather than just your attempt to gloss over them with "first-gen anything always has issues, now shut up".

These aren't flaws..

By your own failed logic iPhone and android are flawed because it doesn't include xbox live, Office 2010, Hubs and integrated people.

Flaws would be something like unable to send MMS (iphone ftl for years), Poor sound quality, short battery life, poor sensors, no ability to synchronize with services you use so on and so forth. None of which WP7 has any problem doing.

its more the other way round

Of course Paul Thurrots extensive review is wrong and your 6 word reply is correct cos you of course have tested and reviewed the same devices as Paul.

Grow up boy.

Did I say that? No. But when a first release of a device is clearly not aimed at corporate customers, pointing out flaws that relate to that is pretty stupid.

That's like taking a toyota camry and pointing out that it won't do 250 mph, hence its a crap car.

These aren't flaws..

By your own failed logic iPhone and android are flawed because it doesn't include xbox live, Office 2010, Hubs and integrated people.

Flaws would be something like unable to send MMS (iphone ftl for years), Poor sound quality, short battery life, poor sensors, no ability to synchronize with services you use so on and so forth. None of which WP7 has any problem doing.

I see you're trying to play with semantics.

There's a big difference between basic functions to allow businesses to use the phone, and fancy features like Xbox Live and a vastly crippled Office (which iOS and Android both have their own substitutes for). The only one failing at logic here is you.

And even then that was hardly my point. My point was that how people can get up in arms whenever an article publishes shortcomings in WP7, and how people try to rebut said articles by referring to first-gen iOS and Android. Thanks for missing my argument entirely and setting up a straw man.

Do you honestly believe anything that Paul Thurrot publishes even if it's very poorly written, and after knowing that he's funded by Microsoft's marketing squad?

Better than infoworld, that hasn't published an article worth reading in about a decade now.

Do you honestly believe anything that Paul Thurrot publishes even if it's very poorly written, and after knowing that he's funded by Microsoft's marketing squad?

I believe it over the rubbish you posted. Plus I have my Samsung Omnia 7 so know how good it is.

This clown must have a different phone than I do (Focus) because I'm loving Windows Phone 7. Ditched my Galaxy S Droid and iPhone 4 (keeping the 4 till I sell it, it cost too much). Since the Droid was rooted, and iPhone has been Jailbroken forever, I'm not sure WTF this dude is talking about. Sounds like a fanboy tirade.

I see you're trying to play with semantics.

And your not?

There's a big difference between basic functions to allow businesses to use the phone, and fancy features like Xbox Live and a vastly crippled Office (which iOS and Android both have their own substitutes for). The only one failing at logic here is you.

What basic functions are missing? It makes calls right? It can sync up with exchange/gmail/yahoo right? It has an app market right? it has an office suite right? It has a ton of features you glance over because you want to right?. Office 2010 on windows phone is more then capable for what people would use it for. More so capable than android or iOS is out of the box by a large margin. You're grasping for straws.

And even then that was hardly my point. My point was that how people can get up in arms whenever an article publishes shortcomings in WP7, and how people try to rebut said articles by referring to first-gen iOS and Android. Thanks for missing my argument entirely and setting up a straw man.

Because they're not shortcomings. They're simply features that aren't present because the device is being marketed to the consumer market right now and they hardly show the phone as being a disaster by any means.

Because they're not shortcomings. They're simply features that aren't present because the device is being marketed to the consumer market right now and they hardly show the phone as being a disaster by any means.

Microsoft pretty much said that. But we're going to use it for business anyway. Makes calls, gets Exchange email, can be remotely wiped. Can't easily transfer business files without SharePoint or Cloud (we controll access to both). I'm good.

Speaking of it being v1.0, Bluetooth A2DP and AVCRP both work great. It took 3 hardware generations and 4 iOS generations for iPhone to work with AVCRP. Fanobyism is ruining the internet.

Did I say that? No. But when a first release of a device is clearly not aimed at corporate customers, pointing out flaws that relate to that is pretty stupid.

That's like taking a toyota camry and pointing out that it won't do 250 mph, hence its a crap car.

A more fitting analogy would be "dude this car wasn't designed to be driven outside city areas, we all know that, your review shouldn't mention problems that arise when you drive this car around the countryside."

And your not?

Of course not, I actually make an attempt to be intellectually honest. I'm happy to debate this point using any reasonable word you'd like to substitute for "flaws".

What basic functions are missing?

Maybe actually read the article and you might find out?

Because they're not shortcomings. They're simply features that aren't present because the device is being marketed to the consumer market right now

Sounds pretty much like you just defined what "shortcomings" are.

A more fitting analogy would be "dude this car wasn't designed to be driven outside city areas, we all know that, your review shouldn't mention problems that arise when you drive this car around the countryside."

Of course not, I actually make an attempt to be intellectually honest. I'm happy to debate this point using any reasonable word you'd like to substitute for "flaws".

Maybe actually read the article and you might find out?

The other thing you're forgetting is even though Android and the iPhone both launched with tons of things missing. They still had a competitor, Windows Mobile. Hell back then, and even today, feature wise its the best OS. Yes it had a lot of flaws, but in terms of what the phone could do...really nothing compares to it. And the iPhone / Android platforms still destroyed it.

People chose simplicity over features, and Microsoft is trying to replicate exactly that. Then you also have to take into account, a large number of people who buy a first generation device are early adopters. Corporations almost never buy first gen of anything since they have to make sure it works with whatever they have in place (and to see how it performs).

So yeh Microsoft omitting things like copy and paste, full exchange support (exactly like WinMo 6.5 had I mean), a full featured office suite sounds stupid to us..I mean microsoft does make Exchange, and Office..To a corporate client, it means absolutely nothing. They wouldn't be getting the device anyway even if it did have all those things.

(Note by corporate client I mean a company that buys phones for its employees, since lots of major corporations do).

That isn't my quote LOL :rofl: Stupid IPB.

I presume you can prove that?

Paul Thurrot may be pro-Microsoft but his reviews are still fair and frank. He generally reviews a product thoroughly enough to identify its pros and cons. If he feels the competition does something better than Microsoft then he says it. He's also quite honest and open about his relationship with Microsoft. In my book all those things make him reliable.

I certainly can't say the same thing about anyone who writes for Infoworld. In fact, their reputation is so appalling that I find it hard to believe that anyone would be silly enough to want to republish their crap. It's pretty hard to take you seriously when you associate yourself with this nonsense.

This article could also be titled

"I'm an Apple and iPhone fanboy and will hate anything by MS without even trying it. And if someone forces me to review one, I will only look at the flaws and ignore everything else, just like i ignore all the flaws of my perfect device"

At least it sums up the whole "article" if you want to call it that. but I'm sure the WP7 haters will hang on to this like flies to fresh dog crap. that's the purpose of it anyways.

Finally, an honest review. Thanks! :D

I presume you can prove that?

Paul Thurrot may be pro-Microsoft but his reviews are still fair and frank. He generally reviews a product thoroughly enough to identify its pros and cons. If he feels the competition does something better than Microsoft then he says it. He's also quite honest and open about his relationship with Microsoft. In my book all those things make him reliable.

I certainly can't say the same thing about anyone who writes for Infoworld. In fact, their reputation is so appalling that I find it hard to believe that anyone would be silly enough to want to republish their crap. It's pretty hard to take you seriously when you associate yourself with this nonsense.

He also reviews plenty of Apple products which POs me. I go there looking for up to the minute MS inside news and I have a new Apple product covered in varnish on the front page. hmm.gif

If you buy a pencil looking for a pencil and come to find out it doesn't write in ink, that isn't a shortcoming.

Problem is that its product will have a very bad name by then, even if Microsoft manages to fix most of what's seriously wrong with this version of their mobile OS. A fail at launch will take them a long time and a lot more money invested in marketing an PR.

DOA.

Luckily for the market, fanboys calling it DOA doesn't add up to anything. Pretty much like this 'review'. Did you actually write anything yourself or simply paste something from another source then dig in for the ensuing flamewar?

read the article, points taken into consideration, accepts the authors point of view, well illustated examples, thought to myself...mmm... some have said ^ 'it JUST came out', I mean look at the time it took for them to write a startup and expandible mobile OS from scratch, give MS some credit here, they are in another man's territory afterall, after a few months we'll see how well MS reflects on such criticisms/shortcomings, maybe after a year we can see market share, then things should become a little clearer on the future or demise of WM7.

I work in the mobile phone industry, and have to admit, WP7 is everything the consumer has been calling for. It's simple to navigate and has quite a lot of power for a mobile operating system. What do 99% of people use their phone for? Facebook, SMS and calls. All are extremely easy on WP7. I have a HTC Desire, a HTC 7 Trophy and have had a iPhone 3GS. Out of all of the experiences WP7 has been the best out of the box.

Like it has been said, in 2 years time WP7 will be a powerhouse imho.