No Experience in Photography

Hi there neowin!

As the title says , I have no experience in digital photography. But have always appreciated the art. I have owned a few compact style point and shoots, and have recently upgraded to another point and shoot, this time it's a Pentax X90. From what understand, it's a bridge like camera between point and shoot and DSLR. My main use for this camera is taking a lot of shots of my children, they are young so most of them are action shots. I would like to start to get into digital photography for personal use later on. How does the neowin community feel about the camera?? Did I make the right choice? Should I have chosen the CannonSX130 or something simular instead?? maybe take the plunge into the DSLR world, etc???

Ok, well since you asked, here is my opinion. I don't have much experience with the X90 but I'm sure it's a perfectly good camera that takes decent photos. Personally if you are going to buy a camera that big, you might as well buy a dslr. I guess my reasoning being that you can invest money in lenses that will last many many years as opposed to a camera or camera body. I think the thing I like most about a small point and shoot is the fact I can take it so many more places. Personally, I would buy either a small point and shoot or a dslr. I find a miss out on a lot of things just because I'm too lazy to take my dslr with me. I'm sure you will enjoy your new camera though. Have fun.

Point n shoot cameras are perfect for on the road or a spur of moment shots, etc.

If you get DSLR, you will have to change lens for close-up shots, zoom lens for sports, etc.. plus you have to carry camera bag for lens and other accessories .... all you carry 1 thing in your pocket is point and shoot camera..

It's all up to you on how to feel to carry or change lens from time to time depending on what you want to shoot at. Like "oh I want to take that shot" then [grabbing a camera] .... "crap, I need to change the lens for this.." which the subject (such as a bird a dog) is no longer on the spot and you miss it. Someone else got it with point and shoot camera, pow!

If it was me, I don't care. I carry it with me wherever I go. If I miss it, I don't care. I can find the best shots from time to time.

I have 1 point and shoot camera, 2 DSLR cameras.