Usenet, what do people use it for?

Genuine question, I was just reading a thread when somebody mentioned Usenet outputting like 8TB a day or something, now, honestly, I thought it was just a giant chat room?!

What is Usenet exactly then?! :D

Chris

Genuine question, I was just reading a thread when somebody mentioned Usenet outputting like 8TB a day or something, now, honestly, I thought it was just a giant chat room?!

What is Usenet exactly then?! :D

Chris

Usenet is a worldwide distributed Internet discussion system.

but yeah it's mostly used for file sharing nowadays

of course not! they are for downloading illegal copies of Microsoft products

Of course.

Isn't it kind of pain to setup? or a process to setup?

So what ya'll are saying, is it's overly complicated rapidshare

That's what I was thinking, pay for an account to read "news" and sharefiles. That's what google and dem.... is for..

So what ya'll are saying, is it's overly complicated rapidshare

Far from it. Usenet is very simple once you understand a few basic things, and having proper newsreader software helps a lot. Rapidshare is a joke compared to usenet.

Cool, as long as I know it's a waste of time.

Far from it. Usenet is very simple once you understand a few basic things, and having proper newsreader software helps a lot. Rapidshare is a joke compared to usenet.

explain...

What's the difference between usenet and torrents then if they're both simply p2p networks?

Well, to start, Torrents are slow as ****, Rapidshare rocks for stuff like that. I can download say 7.5GB of 'something' in under half an hour over Rapidshare, good luck finding a torrent well seeded enough. I am still semi-curious about the potential of this usenet... thing.

This :D

Errr, no.

Elaborate.

People keep saying 'no, it's nothing like rapidshare and other http downloading sites' but I wana see some evidence people!

Think of it as Limewire where its P2P however, you can browse and find files like on rapid share. so the files arent on a server somewhere they are just on other systems.

what I don't get is why you have to pay?

torrent = free

Rapid share= offers a free and a paid version as well...

Torrent = Can be hosted from Home, limited to upload speed.

Rapidshare = Uses a high speed server array.

Torrent = Can be hosted from Home, limited to upload speed.

Rapidshare = Uses a high speed server array.

That doesn't answer my question though. PLUS for torrents, there's seedboxes if need be.

I still don't get why you have to pay !

Cool, as long as I know it's a waste of time.

explain...

Usenet access is really no harder to set up than setting up an e-mail client (basically you plug in your server name and your username and password). You then have access to many 10's of thousands (on a good server, 100,000+) groups, and the largest of those are the binary groups, divided up by category based on the content that is posted there. Most modern usenet software makes searching and downloading from these groups a simple process, similar to downloading a torrent if you make use of an NZB search site (but much, much faster than a torrent, since you are directly downloading from a single server instead of relying on the upload bandwidth of other users). With most commercial usenet servers you can download as fast as your internet connection can handle.