Usenet, what do people use it for?

So what ya'll are saying, is it's overly complicated rapidshare

Its overly complication is a feature. Think about it...nerds with large collection...

usenet is awesome. Astraweb+SSL+Unison FTW.

Usenet is a way to share files just like bittorrent, but the process is pretty different. I'm not experienced myself in it, but anyway you need a news reader first. Then when you have that you have to subscribe to a news site. Then after that you can add .nbz files to your news program from your news site, and they tell your program where the content is so it can download it.

I only read the first 10 or so posts, so don't know if it's explained. Clearly most people don't get Usenet.

Usenet is not P2P in anyway. Not really like torrents either.

You pay for a Usenet Provider (best and favorite is Giganews). They provide access to the servers, where all the files are maintained.

Then you find a program like Newsleecher or SABnzbd to download the nzb files. Most downloaders come with a search feature, but I like sites like Newzbin or NZBMatrix.

So not really complicated or harder then torrents, torrents you search a website and download with an application, same with Usenet. The only difference is you pay for a service.

Now why would you pay when you can get it free? Because instead of downloading at unstable crappy speeds, you can max out your connection at almost 100% stability.

My speed from my ISP is 16Mbps. When downloading with Usenet I download the whole length of the download at 16Mbps. You can get anything you want from Usenet just like Torrents and much more.

Now there is more going on in the background in terms of how Usenet works, and what not, but you don't need to know that.

Simple answer don't use it. :)

Why because they are cr**.

they site is full of things you should not be downloading... so forth, to state would be against neowin's policy.

The reason why many people are against Usenet, or hate it. Or say its complicated is because they haven't used it in many many years.

Back in the day you had to search binary files, and pick each separate part of one file, to get what you want. It was hard, and complicated. Not like that anymore.

Simple answer is your an idiot.

Hey you may be right but there is no need to call him an idiot.

Your right. I was annoyed. And Torrents are full of crap you shouldn't download either. lol

Why would anyone be against usenet? The only reason I can see is that it's Pay to Use in some cases (not all)... but frankly the money you save downloading the Linux ISO's vs. buying the disk.. well you save right there!

I Shall CODE a NZB indexing site... Challenge....Accepted!

You really on it?:rofl:

Keep us updated and start a new thread NOW!

Weekly, preferably daily updates are mandatory!

Glassed Silver:mac

Why because they are cr**.

they site is full of things you should not be downloading... so forth, to state would be against neowin's policy.

Who are you to dictate what I should/shouldn't be downloading :p to hell with censorship

The reason why many people are against Usenet, or hate it. Or say its complicated is because they haven't used it in many many years.

Back in the day you had to search binary files, and pick each separate part of one file, to get what you want. It was hard, and complicated. Not like that anymore.

Simple answer is you're an idiot.

You're right. I was annoyed. And Torrents are full of crap you shouldn't download either. lol

:laugh:

You really on it?:rofl:

Keep us updated and start a new thread NOW!

Weekly, preferably daily updates are mandatory!

You haven't ever seen How I Met Your Mother have you? lol It was not serious, unless he was serious within a joke from a TV show.

Well, to start, Torrents are slow as ****, Rapidshare rocks for stuff like that.

Clearly you've never been a member of a private torrent site before.

There is a food chain in the file sharing world and your beloved Rapidshare is probably a step above Kazaa if it's lucky :p

There is a food chain in the file sharing world and your beloved Rapidshare is probably a step above Kazaa if it's lucky :p

that might be true, but its dosnt realy matter these day, yesteryear Newsgroups were where all the good stuff was downloaded from and also private FTP's

but with the advent of Torrents and fast cheep internet connectioins any fool can download.

:laugh: Soooooo true!

and DC++ is way above privet trackers it's like a market you're judged by what you bring to the party not by how much you can upload but by what you upload.

that might be true, but its dosnt realy matter these day, yesteryear Newsgroups were where all the good stuff was downloaded from and also private FTP's

but with the advent of Torrents and fast cheep internet connectioins any fool can download.

Tbh if you want zeroday releases you still have to use usenet, which imo is the 2nd major selling point after the speed advantages.

Of course if you've never used anything other than p2p/rapidshare then you don't even realize what you're missing & the advantages of other methods.

I've used RS in the past myself but man is it tedious. 70+ links usually & if one dies you're screwed. Not to mention you have to use some truly awful download managers. They chop & change their pricing scheme for no good reason & RS also remove links/die if they've not been downloaded in x amount of days.

imo the hierarchy:

(IRC if you wanna be real old school :p)

Usenet

Private torrents

Torrents

The Pirate Bay :laugh:

Rapidshare

P2P/Magnet

do people still use grabit? doesn't grabit cripple your pc when it's doing it's 'decoding'?

Also, nobody uses the usenet anymore.. best you stay away from it :shiftyninja:

newsleecher with supersearch and giganews for their awesome retention...so easy my kid, wife, and mother can all manage it with minimal effort..as long as the archive your after has a decent amount of par files it'll dl and check and repair and extract for you...now if it only had a burning plugin i could be lazier than i already am

I use usenet.. Here I will break down the easiness (It is assumed this is for educational purposes only).

Step 1. Get an Account ( I prefer / use Astraweb)

Step 2. Google and download Grabit (Free software for downloading [Legal Linux ISO's or other illegal files]

Step 3. Install Grabit and follow the wizard to setup the connectio.

Step 4. Go to a site such as NzBsRus (My Favorite) or NzbMatrix (Also good) sign up for a free account

Step 5. Search for the [Legal Linux ISO's or other illegal files] you want, and follow the download link.

Step 6. Open the .NZB file with grabit, let it download.

To give some ideas as to why usenet is better (In my opinion) No worries about seeders. I download on average 1500kb/s -> 1600kb/s via usenet. Torrents I range 100-300kb/s.

Also, there is no reason why there can't be a "Nice PHP/MySQL" site. The two I listed above are quite nice and follow what Im guessing you would want. I guess just no one has really wanted to make a nice fancy NZB browsing/downloading site.

Nice guide, although SabNzbd might be more newbie friendly than grabit

Tbh if you want zeroday releases you still have to use usenet, which imo is the 2nd major selling point after the speed advantages.

Of course if you've never used anything other than p2p/rapidshare then you don't even realize what you're missing & the advantages of other methods.

I've used RS in the past myself but man is it tedious. 70+ links usually & if one dies you're screwed. Not to mention you have to use some truly awful download managers. They chop & change their pricing scheme for no good reason & RS also remove links/die if they've not been downloaded in x amount of days.

imo the hierarchy:

(IRC if you wanna be real old school :p)

Usenet

Private torrents

Torrents

The Pirate Bay :laugh:

Rapidshare

P2P/Magnet

You forgot DC++

You haven't ever seen How I Met Your Mother have you? lol It was not serious, unless he was serious within a joke from a TV show.

Actually I was joking as well, so yeah... :laugh:

Yes, occasionally I do watch it... rarely though.