[Poll] Which do you prefer? Car or train?

69 members have voted

1. 1. Car or train? (middle to long distance)

• Car, because my country's / region's train infrastructure is crap!
    • Car, because I just prefer it (any reason)
    • 50/50
    • Train, because going by car is a mess here
    • Train, because I prefer it
    • Train due to lack of a license

Heya guys,

which do you prefer?

Train for me :)

Excellent infrastructure here!

Glassed Silver:win

Car or SUV is the best to experience new places and states cross country. On train, you are just sit there for the whole trip without the opportunity to stop in a particular area of interest.

Car or SUV is the best to experience new places and states cross country. On train, you are just sit there for the whole trip without the opportunity to stop in a particular area of interest.

Trains don't stop at stations anymore? :p

car because you can get to any destination directly, if I want to travel anywhere by train I have to get the local rail to the nearest city (newcastle) then change to the mainline, then unless I am going to a big city there will be at least one more change over. So whilst a train maybe quicker between two points, overall I find a car quicker. It also means you can carry far much luggage with you in the car.

car because you can get to any destination directly, if I want to travel anywhere by train I have to get the local rail to the nearest city (newcastle) then change to the mainline, then unless I am going to a big city there will be at least one more change over. So whilst a train maybe quicker between two points, overall I find a car quicker. It also means you can carry far much luggage with you in the car.

how far from the station are you?

how far from the station are you?

I am not far from Seaburn metro stop. But if I am travelling to Manchester for example for a weekend away. I can either:

carry my bag the 1/2 mile to the metro stop

30mins on the metro (a local light rail service) to Newcastle central station

train depends but I believe most mean you get the train to york, then change to the cross country to manchester (can be stressful)

get off at a Manchester station

taxi / walk / bus to hotel

OR

throw bag into car boot,

drive for 3 - 3.5 hours

arrive at hotel with bags

Car FTW.

EDIT:

then considering prices, a quick search and the cheapest I can get for Manchester return for next Friday returning the following Monday is £50.

I can get 550 miles to £50 of diesel in my car, Manchester is 150 miles from me. So for the same price I can have 250 miles of diesel left in my tank. That example is for a single traveller, it obviously gets even better if there are more..

There are no commuter Trains in the area that I live in, this includes subway trains there are only Cabs in our area, there are not even buses. Even the large metro area where We live does not have a subway or any other train system. If you want to take a train anywhere close to where I live you have to go around 100 miles just to get to the train and at this point you should just drive.

Lol, yea, the US is a mess train wise...

And people are complaining about Deutsche Bahn (DB)...

I am not far from Seaburn metro stop. But if I am travelling to Manchester for example for a weekend away. I can either:

carry my bag the 1/2 mile to the metro stop

30mins on the metro (a local light rail service) to Newcastle central station

train depends but I believe most mean you get the train to york, then change to the cross country to manchester (can be stressful)

get off at a Manchester station

taxi / walk / bus to hotel

OR

throw bag into car boot,

drive for 3 - 3.5 hours

arrive at hotel with bags

Car FTW.

EDIT:

then considering prices, a quick search and the cheapest I can get for Manchester return for next Friday returning the following Monday is ?50.

I can get 550 miles to ?50 of diesel in my car, Manchester is 150 miles from me. So for the same price I can have 250 miles of diesel left in my tank. That example is for a single traveller, it obviously gets even better if there are more..

Do what i do pack light and take the bus.

Do what i do pack light and take the bus.

Light is not always an option. :)

Oh and I didn't know about your moving plans...

Elaborate in chat next time, mkay?

Train for major cities. As there is no traffic, parking, and get to relax on the way.

Plus trains tend to be pretty nice, and fairly frequent where I live (every 30mins to London, Bham, and Manchester). Although prices are too high.

Sometimes travel by National Express(Coach) to London, which is far cheaper for early morning journeys (no London peak).

For any smaller towns, or out of town destinations, then car wins.

Where I live, you have to travel by train. Other countries, and I find traveling by train the better solution.