Is There An Upscaling 1080p DVD Player That Plays Xvid/avi?

Hi all.

As the title, is there an upscaling DVD player that plays xvid/.avi & divx files?

I am based in the UK so I assume that I am right in saying that it should be Region 2.

Thanks.

XBox 360 can play xvid/divx and upscale to 1080p for DVD. But a PS3 can do all that and play blueray too. Looks like, retail you can get the 4GB XBox 360 for $199 and a 160GB PS3 for $299. You can find a XBox 360 Arcade w/ 512MB of internal storage between $100-$150 if you look around. A year ago I got my 360 arcade for $99 at WalMart for some black friday deal.

But it looks like you are in UK, and I'm not sure what the prices look like there.

I thought the 360 only upscaled to 720p. Well, looks like I may not need a DVD Player after all!

Well, the settable resolution goes up to 1080p, so I would assume that it is at least the output is that high. I think the vast majority of games are actually 720p or lower but everything should be upscaled to the resolution you set.

The gaming aspect is a bonus to get the console but for it to upscale DVD's to 1080p is what the real attraction is.

So to wrap it up, both the PS3 & Xbox360 upscale DVD's to 1080p.

The PS3 plays Xvid/.avi & DivX files.

One last question is, does the Xbox360 play Xvid/.avi & DivX files?

I have one of these bought quite some time ago but I would recommend going with a more multifunction device like a gaming console or the hard disk based players from egreat (similar to WDTV Live).

Well I think that pretty much settles it. I just need to decide which will be better, a PS3 or the Xbox360. I've read some feedback already that the PS3 does a better job of upscaling DVD's. Anyone had first hand experience with this?

Well I think that pretty much settles it. I just need to decide which will be better, a PS3 or the Xbox360. I've read some feedback already that the PS3 does a better job of upscaling DVD's. Anyone had first hand experience with this?

Phillips makes a number of players that can read xvid's. I have the dvp 3962. its only $45.US butI've seen it at uk sites as well.... it only upconverts to 1080i though . i use it sometimes on camping trips and such.

The Upscaling of the ps3 is just pure amazing. I watched Blazing Saddles the other day, and it was just so crisp and clear. My friends thought it was a bluray copy. Everything I play on it DVD wise is just perfect or better than before.

i've owned both and i agree that ps3 does a better job.

I have some cheap Phillips DVD player I bought for like $60 back in 2007 that would upscale to 1080p and has DivX playback, it even had a USB port on it so you didn't have to burn discs I just used my flash drive for it. I don't have it here with me now otherwise I'd tell you the model #.