60% of businesses could dump Windows for Chrome OS

I think 60% is another one of those gratuitous statistics or estimates you see on all sorts of things. I would be surprised if more then 2 or 3 % of businesses would do that for a variety of reasons. I sometimes wonder if these things aren't said just to try to create a psychological atmosphere where people will think such a thing is even possible, viable or probably. So to add to the gratuity of it all: I predict that 97% of the neowinians that read this will agree with me. :no: :yes:

I think it would be stupid to move to ChromeOS. I would think that having Windows for years would make your company a bit tied to it because of compatibility and things. Also ChromeOS isn't even really an OS, it's just an enhanced web browser with special things added. Even if those weren't a problem wouldn't the companies have to have blazing internet speeds to store and retrieve all the files they need that are stored in Google's Cloud? Last but not least how will they move to ChromeOS? Won't they have to upload every file they have to the cloud to be able to use them easily?

I think 60% is another one of those gratuitous statistics or estimates you see on all sorts of things. I would be surprised if more then 2 or 3 % of businesses would do that for a variety of reasons. I sometimes wonder if these things aren't said just to try to create a psychological atmosphere where people will think such a thing is even possible, viable or probably. So to add to the gratuity of it all: I predict that 97% of the neowinians that read this will agree with me. :no: :yes:

I think when companies make such poor predictions, it can hurt them greatly.

Think of it like this.

Say a company read this, and was like "Oh, most will be doing this, why not us!" because they think it must be good for a majority of companies. They for some reason do very little testing and deploy it, come to find out they can't do *anything* they want. They will likely NEVER trust anything from Google again!

Now of course, a small company would be more likely to do something like that, but still, small companies matter because small companies can grow... That's why Microsoft has that BizSpark thing, get them hooked when they are small for free, then when the grow, they will open up their checkbook!

Somehow I don't think Google plan to spin Chrome OS as its own Linux distro hoping people will download it.

They are waiting to get their hardware partners all on board before they do a serious blitz. Remember what they did with Android.

On the other hand, it will likely be harder for Google to move Chrome OS out there. I suspect one of the reasons they are positioning it as a 'webtop' is so that it looks different from a standard desktop. This strategy may work for them, but frankly I don't want all my junk stored online.

They may have trouble though, just the way Microsoft seem to have failed a second time this year to break into the phone market (yes, I know they haven't killed Windows Phone 7, but things just don't look good for them).

However, Google's corporate might may mean they succeed, using the sorts of strategies that have worked often for Microsoft.

LMAO. I'd be amazed if more than 5% of businesses dumped Windows for Chrome.

Erm, MS-DOS was. DOS (and its variations besides MS-DOS) wasn't. It was a heavy modification of a previous DOS release, but it was still Microsoft's.

The version they supplied to IBM was largely complete when they payed 50k for it off a startup :p

60% is way too much. I can see it being used in businesses like Starbucks or Indigo (books). I can't see it being used in a corporate environment.

I thought about the wording of this and it's possibly correct. It's 60% of businesses and the number of corporate businesses must be dwarfed by the number of very small businesses (mom & pop I guess.). These probably contribute little in terms of total IT users, but there have to be magnitudes more small businesses than corporations or even medium sized ones.

So in that context the statement is correct but well, are Google really aiming THAT low?

60% is way too much. I can see it being used in businesses like Starbucks or Indigo (books). I can't see it being used in a corporate environment.

Having worked in the Starbucks IT group, you are WAY WAY off base. Starbucks has a large IT effort, dealing with retail, warehousing, manufacturing, replenishment, etc. While they do have web enabled apps, most of it is not. Chrome OS wouldn't be a very good idea there.

Is it just me or does it sound like we're going to dust off "Big Bertha" the Mainframe from the 1970s? Everything now adays claims that "cloud" computing is the next big thing and how we're going to be using dumb terminals where we just pull everything from a big server. Would you guys make up your mind now we're going back to the "main frame" architecture.

Is it just me or does it sound like we're going to dust off "Big Bertha" the Mainframe from the 1970s? Everything now adays claims that "cloud" computing is the next big thing and how we're going to be using dumb terminals where we just pull everything from a big server. Would you guys make up your mind now we're going back to the "main frame" architecture.

sound true , except you are no longer constrained to small geographical place as it used to be, no?

60% of the business market? Laughable. Chrome OS isn't going to be a major player in any market really. Who posted this nonsense?

/me looks

Oh, Lechio. Why am I not surprised?

All this cloud OS business is getting old. The "cloud" has been around far longer then when it was dubbed "cloud" as many of you know. Between this and the reports of Windows 8 moving more the "cloud" format... and OS X getting "i-padded out" I really don't know what I'm gonna do when an OS upgrade is required :unsure:

60% ? (looks for source) Oh it's from the mouth of a Google exec! Imagine that.

[...] Between this and the reports of Windows 8 moving more the "cloud" format... and OS X getting "i-padded out" I really don't know what I'm gonna do when an OS upgrade is required :unsure:

[...]

From what Microsoft is doing, it is unlikely that Windows 8 will be anything like Chrome OS. Microsoft seems to do a mixture of cloud and local stuff. You may get stuff from the cloud, but it would be cached locally in case the Internet went down, or just to work offline.

Office 365 has an online version of Exchange, Office Web Apps, etc. but you can also get a subscription version of Office, the real full deal. However, if you stop paying for Office 365, the Office software stops working (well, goes into a "minimal mode").

I hope that's *something* like what Windows 8 is like... A combination of the cloud and local data.

(The great thing about getting an Office subscription, when say Office 2012 comes out, you get an update from 2010 to that... But of course, you are paying a monthly fee...)

Yes because we all know businesses jump on technology as soon as it comes out. I mean hell 99% of corporate setups are running Windows 7 right? :p

This "cloud" concept is a disaster waiting to happen and I want no part of it.

For starters, I don't want or need to store ANY personal information I could very well keep to myself on someone else's server(s), then having to ask them to borrow it back. That's like keeping your car in someone else's garage! Plus, aside from the privacy concerns, what if the servers go down? I'm sure there's hard, physical backups somewhere (avoiding the privacy issues with that)--but who will have the time and money to train people to swap them in and out, all over the world? Seems like it would save more money to just keep things the way they are (given a few exceptions, of course).

Anyone who believes this is either an idiot or has never worked in a corporate environment.

I have never worked in a corporate environment... I don't believe in this... I'm a genious... and a gayfish? :laugh:

60% of the business market? Laughable. Chrome OS isn't going to be a major player in any market really. Who posted this nonsense?

/me looks

Oh, Lechio. Why am I not surprised?

Let's not pretend you don't copy/paste just about anything onto this forum... No offense.

I agree though that this article is nonsense. Chrome OS's capabilities are far too limited and I think even the simplest of users will find it lacking. I know for a fact my mom, which isn't exactly a power user, won't be able to get around with it. Let alone when being at work.

Dear Google:

Stop being ridiculous about ChromeOS.

Nobody cares, even netbook users like to be able to have a decent amount of functionality offline.

On another note: ChromeOS will be born dead and I can't wait to see it being buried.

I suggest building a real OS, with some of the advantages of ChromeOS.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Glassed Silver:mac