Time for an Android (from iPhone user)

I've been tinkering with Android a lot over the last few months - got my missus an Orange San Francisco, got my Dad a gPad...

I now feel it's about time to move away from my iPhone 3Gs... Nothing "wrong" with it, but I'm going to be going travelling soon (USA) and want something with a somewhat better camera (I also have an actual camera for proper use).

I've fallen head over heels for Android, I adore all it lets me do and the ease of doing it. I am keen on how customisable it is too when rooted.

So am looking for:

* Android (pref 2.2+)

* Very fast (a lot of lower end models lag a bit from what I have found)

* Good camera

* GOOD flash for outside/night use (yes, I realise that there are limits)

* GPS

* Wifi

As for timescales - I will probably purchase within the next 4 months, so if something super-duper is on the horizon, I can wait. I will also be purchasing it outright (not on a contract).

Thanks

4 months is a long time. It puts you past CES (January) and MWC (February) so you'll surely see some good stuff come out. The rumoured Galaxy S2 looks pretty sweet, but also somewhat of a stretch (seriously? 720p screen). I can think of a few good Android devices coming out in that time frame.

At the moment, I think you should go for the HTC Desire, Desire HD or Desire Z.

HD has a large screen, Z has a flip out keyboard - both will be more expensive that the standard Desire because they just came out.

However, I think you should wait till March. Mobile World Congress is in February in Barcelona, and they're bound to announce a bunch of new phones with Android 2.3 or 3.x that will be released a month or so later...

OK, those are good points, there's the big release schedule to think of. A mate has the HTC Desire HD, and loves it, except he says the flash is VERY dodgy (it focusses in the dark, then flashes when taking the shot, thus the focus is often off)

Depending on the camera you're taking with you, it may make sense to take a cheap compact with you for 'on the fly' photography as it were. Phone cameras just don't cut it in terms of quality, even if you have more megapixels than you can shake a stick at.

But if you insist, then I would say either the Galaxy S, Desire line, or the Milestone 2 (Droid 2 in the US).