64bit question

I'm interested for installing 64bit version of W7.U but I have a simple question : any 32bit app. installed (even games) keeps a copy of it on same/other partition ? Seems crazy but I've seen this on vista 64bit systems. Also , 3Gb DDR2 should keep me on 32bit or I'll experience an improvement in terms of speed under 64bit ?

Intel? Pentium? D Processor 805

Thanks

post-18459-12919848747465.png

32-bit games or apps are only stored in one location on 64-bit Windows Vista/7. There are two Program Files folders, C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\.

I really think the debate is ongoing if 64-bit apps really run noticeably faster, or if a 32-bit app on a 64-bit system runs noticeably slower. Out of years of experience running 64-bit OS... you'll not notice a difference.

With 3GB of ram you don't 'need' a 64-bit OS, but I say if your processor is capable of running a 64-bit OS, then do it. If you end up with 4 GB of RAM or higher in the future, you won't have to reinstall your OS to go from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Keep in mind the 64bit version of windows is also more secure. I try to use it on everybodies machine that can run it.

here are some security features that are in 64bit and not 32bit (according to microsoft anyway).

"Other benefits of running a 64-bit OS include enhanced security with hardware-backed DEP, Kernel Patch Protection and mandatory driver signing."

http://www.techspot.com/guides/177-windows-install-32bit-64bit/

Keep in mind the 64bit version of windows is also more secure. I try to use it on everybodies machine that can run it.

here are some security features that are in 64bit and not 32bit (according to microsoft anyway).

"Other benefits of running a 64-bit OS include enhanced security with hardware-backed DEP, Kernel Patch Protection and mandatory driver signing."

The mandatory driver signing is one of those things that could be a benefit or drawback, depending on your situation though. If you have certain hardware that doesn't have signed drivers, or certain applications that need kernel acces, you are better off with 32-bit.

And DEP is also available on 32-bit, while Kernel Patch Protection is not a security function, it's a feature that bluescreens the machine after something already running in kernel mode has successfully modified structures they shouldn't. The goal being to deter legitimate software vendors from relying on internal implementation details, because if they do, Microsoft can't make changes to the OS internals without having to worry about software ceasing to work. Malware can disable both Patch Protection and driver signing, but reputable vendors can't get away with that. ASLR is more secure on 64-bit though, because there are more adresses available.

64-bit is safer to use at the moment though, because very little malware is designed for it. The same is true for Windows 7. There's not much malware tailored to it yet.

There's no real reason why you can't go 64-bit, unless you have old peripherals and software. If you use stuff that dates from 2005 or earlier, you really need to confirm that it all works first. This also applies to regular applications. You can even encounter software that would have worked on 64-bit, but won't even install because the installer itself contains 16-bit code (which 64-bit Windows can't run). This is more of an issue for "regular" people, who might have want to use the same old software they've always used. I think this is especially important to mention because your CPU is very old (2005), and so I'm guessing the rest of your system is as well. You should check to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question, but if you're asking if 32-bit software is installed on the same partition as 64-bit software, then yes it is. You can have 32-bit and 64-bit software side by side on the same partition, even the same folder.

Windows by defaults separates 64-bit software into C:\Program Files (or whatever the equivalent is in your language), and 32-bit software into C:\Program Files (x86) when you install the software, but it doesn't actually matter. It can be stored anywhere (and you often will find 64-bit software in the 32-bit Program Files folder and vice versa.)

When it comes to performance, you probably won't notice much difference. 64-bit will use slightly more RAM, but that's not important. Certain software will be faster if you have a 64-bit version of the software though. Photoshop is an example. When it comes to "normal" computer use, you won't notice much difference.

I would go with 64-bit personally. It leaves you prepared for the future. As 64-bit has become a major default in most new systems that a person would buy today (with the exception of netbooks), 64-bit support for drivers and software is increasing quite steeply in comparison to just a few years ago. A 64-bit Windows 7 is already more than viable for most modern systems and for people who don't use old or obscure hardware. If you have an old application that for some reason will not run in 64-bit (but you know it runs in 32-bit), you can always install XP or something in a virtual machine (virtualbox is a good one, and is free for this purpose... you can also use XP mode if you get the windows 7 professional version). By virtualizing the software that doesn't run, you can safely install 64-bit in most cases as your main OS and reap it's many, though mostly under the hood benefits. :)

Make sure that there are 64-bit drivers for all your hardware before taking the plunge. This is, as has been pointed out, a possible problem. And to a much lesser extent you need to check app compatibility as well. Once those two hurdles are cleared I recommend going 64-bit if your CPU can and you have no less than even 2 GB or RAM. If you can bump your RAM to 4 GB or more I would say it will be worth doing so.

Even if you can't at 3 GB you should go with 64-bit. Because of how 32-bit apps run each will have slightly more RAM available to it then it would in 32-bit Windows. And if you run multiple 32-bit apps simultaneously you might notice a difference in overall performance. This is because in 32-bit Windows all 32-bit apps run in the same memory context. However in 64-bit Windows they run in separate contexts. Now this could cause you to hit the swap file faster but with 3GB that will likely not happen until you launch the third or fourth app depending no how much RAM each app allocates for itself. Can you "see" the effects of this. Certainly very debatable but it is an issue to think about. The more RAM you have the more obvious this becomes.

I plan for the next year the upgrade including the new "sandybridge" . Also I'm a g.designer so I'm interested in running these app :

- Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash CS5

- Autodesk AutoCAD/Solidwork

- programming (V.Studio 2010)

& rarely games ..

My system contain

- ATi 5770

- Creative Audigy SE

- Sata II Seagate HDD

I plan for the next year the upgrade including the new "sandybridge" . Also I'm a g.designer so I'm interested in running these app :

& rarely games ..

My system contain

- ATi 5770

- Creative Audigy SE

- Sata II Seagate HDD

That is a most definite 64-bit Windows 7. You definitely don't want to limit brand new hardware with 32-bit like that. Especially since it's extremely rare that you'll have an i7/sandy bridge system with less than 4GB of RAM anyways. Also, Photoshop CS5 has a 64-bit version, and is recommended to use it over 32-bit. Also, from what I understand, Premiere and After Effects REQUIRES 64-bit to use the CS5 versions of those products. All of that should run fine in 64-bit, as well.

& rarely games ..

My system contain

- ATi 5770

- Creative Audigy SE

- Sata II Seagate HDD

64 bit for sure. these app work better with 64 bit OS

That is a most definite 64-bit Windows 7. You definitely don't want to limit brand new hardware with 32-bit like that. Especially since it's extremely rare that you'll have an i7/sandy bridge system with less than 4GB of RAM anyways.

His current system (the one the thread is actually about) is not an i7 though, it's a five year old Pentium with who knows what software and peripherals. He definitely wants to make sure it all actually supports 64-bit Windows before making the move.

His current system (the one the thread is actually about) is not an i7 though, it's a five year old Pentium with who knows what software and peripherals. He definitely wants to make sure it all actually supports 64-bit Windows before making the move.

Indeed; I quess there woudn't be any issues with : Logitech MX620/Wave keyboard ; Microsoft VX1000 Webcam ; Canon Pixma MP495 ;)

Indeed; I quess there woudn't be any issues with : Logitech MX620/Wave keyboard ; Microsoft VX1000 Webcam ; Canon Pixma MP495 ;)

I don't see why the first two won't have 64-bit drivers, and I just checked your printer and it does have Windows 7 64-bit drivers available.

If you noticed, I quoted another person who posted their own specs and asked a question about it in that particular reply. You should check my reply to him further up the thread.

I don't see why the first two won't have 64-bit drivers, and I just checked your printer and it does have Windows 7 64-bit drivers available.

I almost worry about Ms Office 2010/Adobe CS5/Winamp/Trillian on 64bit..haven't found specific 64bit editions. ;)

I almost worry about Ms Office 2010/Adobe CS5/Winamp/Trillian on 64bit..haven't found specific 64bit editions. ;)

Office and Adobe both have 64-bit editions, and even if Winamp and Trillian don't, who cares? The 32-bit versions will work just fine on 64-bit Windows.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 and MS Office 2010 BOTH have 64-bit versions included in them. Some programs in the CS5 collection are 64-bit ONLY even, such as premiere or after effects. Winamp and Trillian don't need 64-bit versions to work, neither are complex enough for a 64-bit version to provide a benefit. Remember that 64-bit windows 7 will still run most 32-bit software perfectly fine, including winamp and trillian. The only software that will break in 64-bit are:

- 32-bit driver software (even virtualized drivers, such as virtual webcams like splitcam)

- 32-bit explorer plugins/extensions (like showing thumbnails of RAW files, etc)

- 16-bit software (windows 3.1/DOS programs, some game installers for awhile used 16-bit installshields too)

- 32-bit software written in such a weird, hackish way that it's amazing it runs in the OS it was designed for at all (for some reason, a lot of in-house business software is like this)

Beyond that, most programs work just fine. People fear that they're slower, but really they are not. SYSWOW64 is amazingly good at keeping 32-bit alive in a 64-bit environment. Don't be afraid to give it a try!

An added note. A program that has a 64-bit version to it, like Photoshop, can only use plugins for the same bit architecture. 64-bit plugins for 64-bit Photoshop, 32-bit plugins for 32-bit Photoshop. When you install Photoshop CS4 or CS5, you have the option to install both 64-bit AND 32-bit photoshop side by side, so you can run the 32-bit version when you need to use a special plugin, like TWAIN or Alien Eye or whatever those things are called today. :)

If you noticed, I quoted another person who posted their own specs and asked a question about it in that particular reply. You should check my reply to him further up the thread.

No, you replied to the person who started the thread. He was just saying that he plans to buy a new computer sometime next year. There was no question there. You're welcome!

No, you replied to the person who started the thread. He was just saying that he plans to buy a new computer sometime next year. There was no question there. You're welcome!

Why does this even matter? I saw a post in the thread asking about an i7 machine, I replied to it. Why are you grilling me over it?

Why are you grilling me over it?

Grilling you? I was just correcting you. No one asked anything about an i7.

I don't really have a problem with your excessive overexcited x64 zealotry, but you have to make sure people understand that there can be potential problems, especially on older systems. You only think there isn't because you live on the bleeding edge, but not everyone does, especially not "regular" people. It's the first thing you have to confirm before you can recommend a new OS. Just last week I installed 32-bit XP on a brand new system because the owner wanted to run the software he was used to like Picture It (ironically, Microsoft software tends to be really bad when it comes to compatibility) and wanted to use his SCSI negative scanner. There is no way x64 or Windows 7 would have been a good choice for him, even though the system is perfect for it.

Now, in this thread, it doesn't seem like the original poster will have any problems, but that's something that actually had to be established before a recommendation could be made. You can't just say that you "would go with 64-bit personally" without knowing anything about the scenario, especially not when the only details the OP posted indicated a system that predates even Vista.

That is a most definite 64-bit Windows 7. You definitely don't want to limit brand new hardware with 32-bit like that. Especially since it's extremely rare that you'll have an i7/sandy bridge system with less than 4GB of RAM anyways. Also, Photoshop CS5 has a 64-bit version, and is recommended to use it over 32-bit. Also, from what I understand, Premiere and After Effects REQUIRES 64-bit to use the CS5 versions of those products. All of that should run fine in 64-bit, as well.

Actually the system requirements for CS5 state that 64-bit is required to run it, even though there are 32-bit versions of the CS5 applications, Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5 are the exception, this is mainly used for plugin compatibility.

But as you'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 you could use XP Mode to run software that won't run on Windows 7 and doesn't require 3D hardware to run it.

But to answer the OP question, yes, definately go the x64 route. As others have said it future proofs your machine, and even if you only have 2-3GB of RAM at the moment, the only way to go is to add more, and x64 is required to use more than 3.5GB.

Why does this even matter? I saw a post in the thread asking about an i7 machine, I replied to it. Why are you grilling me over it?

He's not grilling you, but I do notice that any thread that contains a mention of XP or 64-bit OSes has you in there believing you're fighting a war against "those lowly 32-bit users". If you knocked down your enthusiasm aggressiveness a bit when talking about these things, and helped people out more than simply tell them mindlessly "64-bit Windows 7 and don't tweak anything!!", you'd have a better reception on this forum. Far too many people know you as the guy who is almost fascist about 64-bit Windows, and it's sad, I'm sure you'd be much more likable if you didn't keep doing that.