HTC Desire running out of space, even with an empty memory card?

Elliot B.

I don't know much about how Android works in this respect, so I thought I'd ask here.

My friend has a HTC Desire on U.S. Cellular (Android 2.1) with an 8 GB memory card installed. The memory card is empty.

The phone is complaining about being low on space when installing apps, and the internal memory is now at around 4 MB remaining.

Can this be resolved?

Green_Eye

I think and don't quote me on this but the fact that he is on Android 2.1 means that he may not be able to install his apps to SD a feature that is in 2.2 aka Froyo although I am not 100% but I think if he upgrades to 2.2 the problem should correct itself (Y)

Elliot B.

I think and don't quote me on this but the fact that he is on Android 2.1 means that he may not be able to install his apps to SD a feature that is in 2.2 aka Froyo although I am not 100% but I think if he upgrades to 2.2 the problem should correct itself (Y)

2.2 isn't available from U.S. Cellular yet (ridiculous after all this time, I know).

Oh well, I'll inform her to wait until it's released (should be around January/February 2011 according to the U.S. Cellular Facebook page).

P.S. Happy birthday!

Green_Eye

Whaaaaaaaa?! That's truly pathetic!

If she is technically capable you can suggest that she root the device and put a custom 2.2 rom on it it's not overly complicated and all the info is a google search away :)

Singh400

Tell her to stop installing so many apps. How many of those apps do she really and truly need and use all the time?

And by a true geek friend. Root her phone, and load a custom 2.2 ROM on it.

Elliot B.

Tell her to stop installing so many apps. How many of those apps do she really and truly need and use all the time?

The HTC Desire has 576 MB internal memory, with about 100 MB left (as far as I'm aware) after the OS etc. That's hardly anything!

Singh400

The HTC Desire has 576 MB internal memory, with about 100 MB left (as far as I'm aware) after the OS etc. That's hardly anything!

Agreed, but you must make do with what you have. Or upgrade.

Elliot B.

What a stupid response. There is a better solution - upgrading to 2.2, which she will do when it's available in Jan/Feb 2011.

Cheers for the help Green_Eye (Y)

EDIT: She can't even open photos on her phone due to this - that's mental. Screw Android devices that have such low on-board memory.

Singh400
What a stupid response. There is a better solution - upgrading to 2.2, which she will do when it's available in Jan/Feb 2011.

...say what now...?

Elliot B.

...say what now...?

I presumed you meant upgrading to a newer model.

Singh400
I presumed you meant upgrading to a newer model.
:rofl: Just root her phone and load 2.2 onto it. Simples ;)
Elliot B.

:rofl: Just root her phone and load 2.2 onto it. Simples ;)

I'm researching it now. The stickies on xda-developers forum are so confusing and I bet a lot of it won't apply to this (U.S. Cellular 2.1 > 2.2).

I'm currently looking for a specific U.S. Cellular 2.1 > 2.2 upgrade guide/tutorial. There must be one :s

Subject Delta

I'm researching it now. The stickies on xda-developers forum are so confusing and I bet a lot of it won't apply to this (U.S. Cellular 2.1 > 2.2).

I'm currently looking for a specific U.S. Cellular 2.1 > 2.2 upgrade guide/tutorial. There must be one :s

Best thing to do is just create a goldcard and flash a generic HTC RUU

Elliot B.

Best thing to do is just create a goldcard and flash a generic HTC RUU

Again, confusing to hell! I've so far figured out I need a CDMA 2.2 ROM, and not a GSM 2.2 ROM. I'm getting there, slowly but surely :p

gazebee_

An unrooted Desire barely has any memory; before I rooted mine I ran out of space with barely any apps installed while my sister's Wildfire had plenty room to spare even with more apps. Good luck on installing a new rom! it's confusing at first

Singh400

Again, confusing to hell! I've so far figured out I need a CDMA 2.2 ROM, and not a GSM 2.2 ROM. I'm getting there, slowly but surely :p

There aren't many CDMA ROMs out there for the Desire (not that I've seen anyway).

I would echo Delta's thoughts, and just flash a generic ROM. Which doesn't require root. Just a goldcard.

See here: http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android

For a list of the all official untouched ROMs for the Desire.

Keep in mind that the Desire is also know as the Bravo, so explore those folders as well.

Richteralan

meh.....HD2 @ Android ftw...

Elliot B.

meh.....HD2 @ Android ftw...

That doesn't contribute to this topic at all.

Another Canuck

As a fellow Desire owner, I understand completely :) I also understand how bloody confusing threads on XDA can be and how intimidating they are to newbies. I have the GSM desire, which made things a little easier, but hopefully I can simplify things for you...

Doing this will wipe everything from the phone. Make sure to backup anything that you need and isn't synced to your Google account.

1. Follow the instructions here to install the required HBOOT drivers

2. Reboot your phone back into Android.

3. Enable "USB Debugging" on the phone (Settings > Applications > Development)

3. Download and run unrEVOked Follow the instructions on screen. This tool will flash a custom recovery and root your phone.

Simple as that :) After that, you're rooted. Now you're free to flash any Desire CDMA compatible ROM you want. I personally suggest CyanogenMod 6.1. This will give you the best "everything just works" experience that you would expect from the phone. There are many others out there, but they're fairly experimental and are only safe for geeks :laugh:

1. Download CM6.1 from here (make sure to download the CDMA version)

2. With your phone connected, enable USB mass storage mode and copy the downloaded .zip to your SD card.

3. Turn off the Desire and boot it into recovery (Hold Power + Volume Up. In the menu that comes up, use the volume and power keys to select Recovery. It may take a few seconds before it responds.)

4. In recovery, wipe/factory reset

5. In recovery, wipe your cache

5. In recovery, flash (apply) the downloaded .zip

6. Reboot and enjoy :)

Elliot B.

As a fellow Desire owner, I understand completely :) I also understand how bloody confusing threads on XDA can be and how intimidating they are to newbies. I have the GSM desire, which made things a little easier, but hopefully I can simplify things for you...

Doing this will wipe everything from the phone. Make sure to backup anything that you need and isn't synced to your Google account.

1. Follow the instructions here to install the required HBOOT drivers

2. Reboot your phone back into Android.

3. Enable "USB Debugging" on the phone (Settings > Applications > Development)

3. Download and run unrEVOked Follow the instructions on screen. This tool will flash a custom recovery and root your phone.

Simple as that :) After that, you're rooted. Now you're free to flash any Desire CDMA compatible ROM you want. I personally suggest CyanogenMod 6.1. This will give you the best "everything just works" experience that you would expect from the phone. There are many others out there, but they're fairly experimental and are only safe for geeks :laugh:

1. Download CM6.1 from here (make sure to download the CDMA version)

2. With your phone connected, enable USB mass storage mode and copy the downloaded .zip to your SD card.

3. Turn off the Desire and boot it into recovery (Power + Menu if I'm not mistaken).

4. In recovery, wipe/factory reset

5. In recovery, wipe your cache

5. In recovery, flash (apply) the downloaded .zip

6. Reboot and enjoy :)

What a legend! Thank you! :)

Another Canuck

Anytime :)

Just one thing to mention about CyanogenMod 6.1; it doesn't include HTC Sense. It is the vanilla Android 2.2 experience. So if that's something you'd rather keep, you'll have to search for another ROM.

Elliot B.

Anytime :)

Just one thing to mention about CyanogenMod 6.1; it doesn't include HTC Sense. It is the vanilla Android 2.2 experience. So if that's something you'd rather keep, you'll have to search for another ROM.

What's HTC Sense?

SojIrOu

What's HTC Sense?

It's the custom UI that HTC implements for their devices. Sort of like a skin/theme.

Another Canuck

What's HTC Sense?

The default (and highly customized) UI shipped on all HTC Android phones:

Some people like it, some don't. Personally I prefer the plain and simple stock Android UI.

Elliot B.

The default UI shipped on all HTC Android phones:

Some people like it, some don't. Personally I prefer the plain and simple stock Android UI.

For future reference, is there a 2.2 CDMA Desire ROM that has HTC Sense? I couldn't find anything.