• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best all around compact point and shoot?

Solid Knight    519

I'm looking to upgrade my point and shoot to something that isn't total fail when it comes to taking pictures in the dark/dim settings. I also want the camera to do a fairly good job at taking pictures in a purely automatic mode. Any recommendations?

Andre    9

Sony EXMOR sensor does a pretty good job in dark situations. Canon G12 and Nikon P7000 would seem to do so as well because they have a slightly larger sensor than a normal point and shoot.

Have a look on http://dpreview.com/ for comparisons and reviews.

Singh400    184

I think the first place you need to start is by setting a budget. Then work around that.

I own Sony DSC-W70 & Sony DSC W320. Both are excellent cameras (IMHO). The former I had for 5 years plus and is still going strong, the latter I've only had for a few weeks but for ?70 it was a bargain!

RealFduch    11

I'm looking to upgrade my point and shoot to something that isn't total fail when it comes to taking pictures in the dark/dim settings. I also want the camera to do a fairly good job at taking pictures in a purely automatic mode. Any recommendations?

You need a camera with fast lens (and bigger sensor). Panasonic LX3; Panasonic LX5; or even Panasonic GF1 with 20mm F/1.7 lens are all very good in dark.

Nashy    1,662

I am bias towards Olympus.

Their MJU series of cameras are brilliant, and well priced.

Edit: I have the MJU9000. It does what I need it to do.

Buttus    1,239

i have the little Canon SD1400, and it shoots well even at ISO 1600... very little noise

but i agree with the previous post, check dpreview.com, because there's some new cameras that were made for dark situations, but i can't recall their names...

Solid Knight    519

Anyone have experience with a Lumix ZS3?

Note: I've seen the Lumix LX5 and LX3. Good cameras but I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Argote    73

If money is no object then the best compact P&S camera on the market right now would be the Canon PowerShot S95. Some higher end Panasonic and Sony cameras are also pretty good.

IMO Olympus P&Ss are not that good in low light.

Nashy    1,662

Havent had one issue with night photos with my Olympus.

I did on my older ones though. Shockingly bad.

Elliot B.    1,786

I bought a Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR a year ago and it cost me ?200 but even for a camera of that price, night shots are poor.