Best all around compact point and shoot?

I'm looking to upgrade my point and shoot to something that isn't total fail when it comes to taking pictures in the dark/dim settings. I also want the camera to do a fairly good job at taking pictures in a purely automatic mode. Any recommendations?

I'm looking to upgrade my point and shoot to something that isn't total fail when it comes to taking pictures in the dark/dim settings. I also want the camera to do a fairly good job at taking pictures in a purely automatic mode. Any recommendations?

You need a camera with fast lens (and bigger sensor). Panasonic LX3; Panasonic LX5; or even Panasonic GF1 with 20mm F/1.7 lens are all very good in dark.

I am bias towards Olympus.

Their MJU series of cameras are brilliant, and well priced.

Edit: I have the MJU9000. It does what I need it to do.

i have the little Canon SD1400, and it shoots well even at ISO 1600... very little noise

but i agree with the previous post, check dpreview.com, because there's some new cameras that were made for dark situations, but i can't recall their names...

If money is no object then the best compact P&S camera on the market right now would be the Canon PowerShot S95. Some higher end Panasonic and Sony cameras are also pretty good.

IMO Olympus P&Ss are not that good in low light.

I bought a Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR a year ago and it cost me ?200 but even for a camera of that price, night shots are poor.