Beware of what you read

And how exactly do I know what this guy is saying is totally true?

This video is media. Why should I trust it?

answer:

research it yourself.

... using prestigious sources. These sources are generally recognised bodies or well-respected, qualified professionals. Now how to identify these is also a daunting task due to the prospering age of telecommunications.

So here's the bit: Ben Goldacre is a medical practitioner and advocate of good science. Research his history and you get the verification you're after.

The problem here, though, is that people generally don't know the reputable sources and many of them have closed access, subscription-based schemes, and many academics ignore professional ethics to advance dubious agendas. It is a head-scratching dilemma and many members on this board have me seriously concerned that we're not doing enough on this front.

I am studying medicine and is incredible how the media changes everything. 70% of the stuff the media said is incorrect.

That's true but very sad. The media is suppose to keep us informed, not misinformed.

That's true but very sad. The media is suppose to keep us informed, not misinformed.

One part of the problem is that the media doesn't understand what scientists are talking about, and the media then takes that message and dumbs it down a little more for public consumption. Remember, most newspapers/magazines are written for a 3rd-5th grade reading level. Understanding current medical research would require a decent knowledge of biology, chemistry, and statistics at the very least. Anyone with that background isn't going to waste their time as a journalist.

• 4 weeks later...
No, that would be independent minded scientists and critical thinking.

On the contrary. The media misrepresents the science, undermining people's views of science. The media also blindly broadcasts blatant denialist lies, such as the Climategate manufactroversy.

The science is clear on AGW. But people are too lazy or stupid to bother to educate themselves.