3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hours for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge

To be expected considering DS was just an overpowered calculator, half decent GPU able to power a 3d display is always going to affect battery life, at least its better than PSP.

Wow, very poor.

How is that poor?

First off nintendo is known for downplaying their specs. Second of all the power of the 3ds is double or tripple what the DS had. Also keep in mind the resolution is also double for the screens.

How is that poor?

First off nintendo is known for downplaying their specs. Second of all the power of the 3ds is double or tripple what the DS had. Also keep in mind the resolution is also double for the screens.

Because I think it is? I wouldn't want to be recharging after 3 hours (5 hours will be at almost unusable backlight), and waiting 3.5 hours for a recharge.

Wait for the 3DS lite in a year.

Because I think it is? I wouldn't want to be recharging after 3 hours (5 hours will be at almost unusable backlight), and waiting 3.5 hours for a recharge.

Wait for the 3DS lite in a year.

You could just keep it plugged in when playing when it runs low on battery...

This, also who plays the DS anymore than 3 hours anyway?

I might on a long haul flight. Or if I was travelling around remote locations with limited access to power. It's not a huge stretch to imagine this affecting lots of people and certainly seems like a backward step.

Portable gaming? huh.gif

This, also who plays the DS anymore than 3 hours anyway?

I might on a long haul flight. Or if I was travelling around remote locations with limited access to power. It's not a huge stretch to imagine this affecting lots of people and certainly seems like a backward step.

Well they say the DS Lite lasts up to 19 hours, and I've squeezed 30 out of it.

Still, 3 to 5 isn't that great.

From a technological standpoint, in that it's a device with two screens, a (more) powerful GPU, 3D capabilities, etc, 3-5 hours may be good.

From a "this is a portable device" standpoint, it's awful.

The (3)DS is marketed as a portable device, not a powerful device. The battery life should reflect that.

I'm assuming that this is with 3D enabled to some extent, and seeing as the 3D can be lowered/turned off to some extent, I would imagine you could squeeze more juice out of it.

It could be worse considering, my iPod Touch and iPhone in the past have reached 50% if not lower from playing certain games for an hour or two.

Like I said on Reddit...

This isn't poor.

Compare: Original PSP Slim 1200MAh battery: 5 hours 39 Minutes, Original Old PSP (fat) 1800MAh battery: 7 hours 15 Minutes, Original Sony Stamina Battery 2200MAh: 10 hours + (Estimate) - Full screen brightness.

Like I said on Reddit...

This isn't poor.

Compare: Original PSP Slim 1200MAh battery: 5 hours 39 Minutes, Original Old PSP (fat) 1800MAh battery: 7 hours 15 Minutes, Original Sony Stamina Battery 2200MAh: 10 hours + (Estimate) - Full screen brightness.

The PSP battery is poor, and all of those figures are higher than the 3DS.

I think the biggest issue for me is just how big of a step down it seems in comparison to the DS Lite's battery life. I was discussing this topic with one of my PSP owning friends, and while I was ranting and raving about the battery life, he calmly pointed out that it's not that bad. When looking at it as an absolute value (and not in relation to anything), I can't really say that it's horrible, though that is certainly a matter of opinion.

My biggest question is how fast the battery will depreciate. It seems like a lot of iPod Touch devices start off with decent battery life, then the depreciate considerably with the first three months of owning them. Hopefully the battery in the 3DS is a little more resilient.

is the battery going to be builtin or detachable? If detachable I can see Nintendo selling extra battery packs for however much. However it shouldn't get to the point that people will feel they must buy an extra battery to have any hope of playing a particular game for some length of time.

How can you say thats not poor? If I was on a train or coach from London to Manchester the battery wouldn't last the journey? In my opinion thats pretty bad, especially for people who have journeys which are even longer.

:laugh:

Just buy a XBOX 360, Wii or PS3 if you're looking for a plugged in games console.

3.5 Hours is ridiculous. But even more ridiculous is it takes 3.5 Hours to charge?! What are they using to charge this thing Barney Rubble foot power?

I think the 3DSi will fix this battery issue and I'd advise not buying the first model. Also I'm not Anti-Nintendo I have a Nintendo DS Lite and a Nintendo DSi. I don't play them much but I'd consider them good products.

I think the 3DSi will fix this battery issue and I'd advise not buying the first model. Also I'm not Anti-Nintendo I have a Nintendo DS Lite and a Nintendo DSi. I don't play them much but I'd consider them good products.

That's a good point, and it's something that I never even thought about. In my humble opinion, buying version one of any piece of electronics is a gamble (and I speak from experience), but in this particular case I'm quite sure that Nintendo will come out with an improved 3DS in a year or two. Personally, my backlog of DS games that I still have to play is plentiful, so I can wait.

The PSP isn't 3D as well.

Nintendo decided to put 3D in a hand held, if the technology uses up too much battery power just now one would question why they're launching the device this early.

• 3 weeks later...

Nintendo decided to put 3D in a hand held, if the technology uses up too much battery power just now one would question why they're launching the device this early.

money? :huh:

Well its like my phones. I had a instinct upgraded to a EVO. The evo has a better larger screen, 4G, better internet and better gaming. All of these eat up my battery way faster then I ever could on the instinct. I could forget to plug it in overnight and still have enough power to get through school the next day. With the upgrades the 3ds is getting over the DS something has to give.