If Macs are so good (according to their users) ...

If Ferrari's are so good, they why doesn't the whole world use them?

Now don't take that as me describing Macs as Ferrari's, it's just me pointing out the futility in correlating quantity with quality.

Eh??:huh::

Have you ever tried MacOS X? It can connect to loads of different types of network very easily.

- Samba shares

- NFS shares

- AFP shares

It can also very easily be put on a Directory type network inc. Microsoft's Active Directory & most LDAP v2 & v3 networks.

mrdan1286 is right mate...

You forgot the main networking environments, Corporations, using mainframes or midrange equipment...

Those big machines (IBM generally) are designed mainly to connect with the big networking players...;))

I worked (and work right now) in corporations or big enterprises in the IT area, doing engineering, analysis or programming, and the natural (and technically right) choice for anybody in the business is the x86 platform for client workstations or distributed servers....

Yeah you make a good point..... BUT I was pointing out that MacOS X is better at networking that a Windows box :rolleyes:: not that the PowerPC is better for mainframe work than the x86.

Maybe better for home or simple LAN networking, but a not so flexible solution as x86, for coexistence with complex and mixed networking environments ...;))

Anyways, if x86 is a POS, why Apple is migrating slowly to that architecture kingdom (PCI, AGP, IDE, Unix, etc. etc.)....:whistle::

Maybe some day in a not distant future we will see the Apple PC....:rofl::

Hey... don't be angry, I'm j/k....!!! errrmmm.... maybe not...???:blink::

If Ferrari's are so good, they why doesn't the whole world use them?

Now don't take that as me describing Macs as Ferrari's, it's just me pointing out the futility in correlating quantity with quality.

Because they are extremely expensive and you can't take your family and your dog in that cars... :rofl:

People who dont like MACS, tend to fear them, becuase they are too "hard" for them to figure out how to right-click. LMAO ! :no:

People who dont like MACS, tend to fear them, becuase they are too "hard" for them to figure out how to right-click. LMAO ! :no:

dude ..get the name right .. Mac or mac .... not a MAC ... MAC = Medium Access Control

I think its generally because of application availability on the Mac Platform. PC users get more games on PC's than macs, and a lot of them have the mindset that the PC has more apps than mac, but in fact, mac also has a lot of comparable software.

I have just finished reading this entire topic and its funny that there still is a Mac and PC debackle going on.

As many have said before your choice of platforms rest soley on your personal needs. I used to own a mac (OS 7 and 8 days) and i can agree it was fast and stable and the like. The problem was software (yes the options now are better as in OS 7/8 days running VPC wasnt very pretty) and hardware avalibility, from the argument here it seems users can finally buy CPU's from Apple?

The argument of Windows being Unstable is an extremly flawed. The majority of MS Windows problems are not MS caused (besides most security issues) they are either User or Developer caused. The biggest problem for Windows (and any OS) is poorly written drivers (thats why MS has WHQL Certification now) and poorly coded software (Thats why MS has Logo Certification). I rarely experience crashes on my MS Windows XP box if i do it ends up tracing back to Nvidia drivers or the like, its rarely an issue caused by MS (never actually). When you look at a Windows box (2K+) and start screaming your crashing like hell and the like look at what you have on your PC first. Its like any other investment you dont take care of it and it will go to hell.

For me i swiched to the MS camp as i wanted to game and couldnt keep up the hunt for mac games and when they are found the expenses (usually more costly than the windows counterpart). If you would ask am i happy with my Windows machine i would say yep, but thats for my personaly uses.

IMHO Both sides of this argument is right...

Are macs more stable? Yes, as users dont have as much crap software avalible to them coded by crappy or just plain evil developers, but the stability of the windows box is also improved by users not installing these crappy apps or hardware.

Are macs easier to use? Thats something answerable only by the person using it. I see Visual Basic.NET as a piece of cake, other developers i know that i try to court to ASP.NET via VB.NET consider it the hardest language they know of (besides Java). Everyones threshold on "easy" varies and cannot be validly used in this.

Are macs "prettier"? Depends, if you want a super glorious PC, build it. If you dont want a super glorious mac well your out of luck... Its all personal choice on whats better and whats not and the ease of getting that "better".

Are macs more powerful than windows pcs? this is something that shouldnt even be compared. They are two totally different platforms hardware and software wise. A properly coded Windows Application can meet/exceed the speed of a properly coded Mac OS X app. The bar of which is actually faster is measurable only by individual usage and very well impossible to say in general. Its almost like comparing cars to buses each has its uses and does what it does well and their archectures are different and not directly comparable. To say the G5 is faster than the Xeon is all fine and dandy but how optimized is the OS on these CPU's? Do these applications send data to the CPU in the same fashion? (meaning same data size for these things etc.) if not how can u really compare performance when they are using totally different routes for everything. Newer Apples enhance on what previous apples were capable of and build up there platform same goes for x86 chips.

I probably have went on for far too long already so im gonna end...

The whole debate makes no sense! Choose what you will for your reasons!

Frazell Thomas

http://www.thinkist.net

My personal opinion is that Mac users suffer from 'Mac Pride', and its a bit like Gay Pride.

This is based on my experiences at neowin, with the growing Mac community. I've got nothing against the hardware. I get *very* annoyed by the community. It seems that because they are a minority, there is some kinda of (arguably misplaced) pride associated with owning a mac, and its very very annoying.

To me my PC is a tool to do a job, I dont post my specs in my sig because I consider it 100% irrelevent whats inside the box, I'm interested in how well I can use the box, and what I can do with it. I take pride in my abilities, and dont like to blow my own trumpet.

As a guitarist I've seen many people with flashy guitars, who constantly talk about them, along side the best gear, but when it comes down to it their playing is scruffy and not fun to listen to.

Then I've seen people who play the cheapest nastiest guitars you've seen, but make them sound like angel's singing.

The point is, the machine doesnt matter. What you do with it does, and in my opinion, someone who spends a lot of time talking about his gear but not the subject of computing is probably not 'all that'. FYI thats largly based on reading the mac forums.

well said :)

JHAres, a benchmark can be a survey test about technology-related things. And I'm actually glad it's a survey, so we get the true facts, and nobody can say "It's a biased benchmark run by one person!"

Also, in response to networking, Mac OS X is very capable of connecting to any network, and is also capable of running a network if you want it to (with that awesome Unix base ;))

Sure but, if I'm a XP stupid lover, in a survey I can say is the best OS in the world and never never crashes... same for Apple lovers... so I think a survey is not a "fact", is a "subjetive" statistic...

About networking, please tell me if you can do asyncronous comunications, X25, SNA, Frame Relay, Token Ring, IDLC, BSC, SDLC, TDLC, etc. etc. networking with an Apple.... :whistle:

Networking is not only the TCP/IP protocol.... ;)

JHAres, a benchmark can be a survey test about technology-related things. And I'm actually glad it's a survey, so we get the true facts, and nobody can say "It's a biased benchmark run by one person!"

Also, in response to networking, Mac OS X is very capable of connecting to any network, and is also capable of running a network if you want it to (with that awesome Unix base ;))

Sure but, if I'm a XP stupid lover, in a survey I can say is the best OS in the world and never never crashes... same for Apple lovers... so I think a survey is not a "fact", is a "subjetive" statistic...

About networking, please tell me if you can do asyncronous comunications, X25, SNA, Frame Relay, Token Ring, IDLC, BSC, SDLC, TDLC, etc. etc. networking with an Apple.... :whistle:

Never tried, because I don't go into that kinda stuff, but if you can do it with Linux or Unix, you can most likely to it with Mac OS X.

Okay so everyone is saying price is keeping the macs down. Then if that's the case, why not lower the MAC price and let MAC make a profit from the huge sales that everyone would suposedly give them if the price went down. MAC only hurts them selves by keeping the price so high, why not lower the price for a year to compete with PC and see how it goes.

If not why the hold up? Why keep the high price? Who are they trying to kid by saying we have expensive machines becuase they are more prestigious. LOL cause i'm sorry with the turn over rate of computers Prestige cannot be labled on PC's.

Okay so everyone is saying price is keeping the macs down. Then if that's the case, why not lower the MAC price and let MAC make a profit from the huge sales that everyone would suposedly give them if the price went down. MAC only hurts them selves by keeping the price so high, why not lower the price for a year to compete with PC and see how it goes.

If not why the hold up? Why keep the high price? Who are they trying to kid by saying we have expensive machines becuase they are more prestigious. LOL cause i'm sorry with the turn over rate of computers Prestige cannot be labled on PC's.

Because, and I'll say it now, it would kill them. People still wouldn't buy Macs, because of the whole switch thing. It's a complicated, and still expensive, process for companies and the likes, and this would also mean a whole turn-around for developers of software.

If they were really smart, they would start allowing other companies to make the computers, as Microsoft has done. It would really belittle their huge dominance on amazing hardware, but if it's a step they have to take, then I'm sure they'll take it.

Really??? and theres me thinking that the ONLY way to network was to use TCP/IP :no: how stupid of me :rofl:

You might not be able to do ALL of those things out of the box, but can you do them out of the box with Windows?.... No you can't!

And as JagedEdge said most things that can be done with Linux & Unix can be done with MacOSX.

The only thing Windows is good at is Microsoft networking IMHO and even that is 10x's harder to get working that MacOSX's!

This thread has just turned into a Mac bashing thread, so I won't be back here :angry:

Stop calling it MAC !!! grrrr .... macs are not MACS !!!!!

Chill out dude, not that big of a deal. :D You are aware of the topic, so, I don't really understand the problem. :huh:

Chill out dude, not that big of a deal. :D You are aware of the topic, so, I don't really understand the problem. :huh:

not a big deal ? calling a mac as a MAC is just like calling a PowerPC a PC ...

Never tried, because I don't go into that kinda stuff, but if you can do it with Linux or Unix, you can most likely to it with Mac OS X.

As I said before, OSX (*nix in fact) is not from Apple world, come from the x86 world... ;)

Anyways, all that protocols are mostly supported and easily implemented in MS OSes...

Is just a fact, is not a "x86 pride" or a "x86 preference"... as I said a lot of times, Macs are great pieces of hardware and their OSes are really great (the "originals" and the new OSX), but in the IT world you need the most flexible option and with the most easily obtainable software/hardware/firmware solution...

As a independent user (home or pro), sure, pick what is best for you or you like the most, if you can afford it of course... ;)

give it a rest with the whole MAC thing. People call all PC's PC's. We don't get upset at that. I don't say it's a HP enough with calling it a PC. lol

Same with Compcrap, Gateway, etc.. it's all PC's and the other side are all MAC's.

Get over it. I didn't want to battle about that, I was mearly trying to figure out why they wouldn't lower their price and I got an answer back that was good.

Thanks

now u did it .. made me very very mad !! :devil:

:pinch:

( kidding .. but still dude .. dont call a mac a MAC )

Well then, don't call a Mac a "mac". :laugh:

The only thing holding me back from getting a mac is the price. Right now I'm actually waiting for the price of g4 pbooks to drop from *crosses fingers* release of a g5 pbook.

give it a rest with the whole MAC thing. People call all PC's PC's. We don't get upset at that. I don't say it's a HP enough with calling it a PC. lol

Same with Compcrap, Gateway, etc.. it's all PC's and the other side are all MAC's.

Get over it. I didn't want to battle about that, I was mearly trying to figure out why they wouldn't lower their price and I got an answer back that was good.

Thanks

u are still not getting my point ..do you ?? MAC = Medium Access Control Layer

Have you guys taken any Networking classes or not ??

The only thing holding me back from getting a mac is the price. Right now I'm actually waiting for the price of g4 pbooks to drop from *crosses fingers* release of a g5 pbook.

Well, that'll be a while, seeing as it's almost impossible right now. :ermm: You'd burn your balls off working with one on your lap, and you couldn't even touch it with your hands while it was on.

I'm guessing you could get, say an old 15" Powerbook when the revision to Aluminum comes along.