Verizon iPhone

well it was just announced, so who's getting it?

Barely announced, still waiting to see whether it's just CDMA or has LTE. I probably won't switch back to Verizon (left it back when they had no decent phones) until they get an LTE iPhone.

Edit: This picture shows a slightly modified antenna band, it's the same part that leaked last week:

verizon-iphone-0995.jpg

verizon is CDMA, if it turns out to be LTE, are these compatible with GSM chips? (sorry totally ignorant on LTE )

Verizon is CDMA and LTE now, though LTE is a much smaller area

verizon is CDMA, if it turns out to be LTE, are these compatible with GSM chips? (sorry totally ignorant on LTE )

Well, they're separate. You could build a CDMA+LTE phone (which is what the new 4G phones on Verizon are) or you could build a GSM+LTE phone. AT&T is planning to roll out LTE starting in 2012 I think, in which case they'd use the latter.

Edit: Time Cook via Engadget: "We're incredibly pleased to give Verizon's customers the choice we've been waiting for. We've designed an iPhone 4 which connects to the CDMA network -- and it has all the features that you'd expect."

Guess it isn't LTE, if it was they'd probably make a big deal out of it.

yeah sim card, sorry, slow morning, no coffee yet :p

So does this mean the verizon iPhone can be unlocked to use with another GSM carrier?

Edit: So i'm guessing the verizon iphone is CDMA+LTE,

Verizon so far hasn't allowed talking and data at the same time. I wonder if the iPhone will be able to.

yeah sim card, sorry, slow morning, no coffee yet :p

So does this mean the verizon iPhone can be unlocked to use with another GSM carrier?

Edit: So i'm guessing the verizon iphone is CDMA+LTE,

If the iPhone was CDMA+LTE then it would have a sim chip but you couldn't use it with a GSM carrier. If you used it with a GSM carrier that also had LTE then you could use it in LTE coverage areas but it wouldn't be able to fall back on GSM when out of those areas.

Ah well I guess it's a good thing for you americans. We europeans enjoyed flawless iPhone reception for such a long time now... :whistle:

Verizon so far hasn't allowed talking and data at the same time. I wonder if the iPhone will be able to.

that was a CDMA limitation, you'd need LTE for that I think

It will also become a personal hotspot allowing for up to 5 devices to connect to.

Currect Verizon customers will preorder on Feb. 3rd while everyone else waits for the 10th.

16Gb iPhone 4 - $199

32Gb iPhone 4 - $299

I think this is verizon saying shut up AT&T we can do more then you can in a way with the hotspot stuff

From what I understand the service plan will come at a premium though.

You guys get mobile hotspot + Facetime over cell? WTF? Me wants!

Haha, can EVDO Rev A handle facetime over cell? I can't believe they announced this phone with EVDO rather than LTE. It's going to make Verizon look stupid side by side with an AT&T iPhone 4. Of course, there are areas where one carrier will have better service than the other, but in places where they both have good service, like where I live, the Verizon iPhone will be slow as dirt compared to the AT&T iPhone.