Verizon iPhone

Q: Why didn't you go the LTE route?

Tim: Two reasons -- the first gen LTW chipsets force design changes we wouldn't make. And Verizon customers told us they want the iPhone now. I can't tell you the number of times we've been asked 'when will it work on Verizon.'

Dan: We have a tremendous 3G network -- we want to be sure we can take advantage of that.

Haha, can EVDO Rev A handle facetime over cell? I can't believe they announced this phone with EVDO rather than LTE. It's going to make Verizon look stupid side by side with an AT&T iPhone 4. Of course, there are areas where one carrier will have better service than the other, but in places where they both have good service, like where I live, the Verizon iPhone will be slow as dirt compared to the AT&T iPhone.

I have no idea, in germany we only have GSM 3G. So I have no idea AND don't care - I just want it! :p

I have no idea, in germany we only have GSM 3G. So I have no idea AND don't care - I just want it! :p

Well, GSM is what AT&T uses, and the iPhone 4 supports HSPA meaning it consistently gets real world speeds of 3-5 Mbps down and 1+ Mbps up. Verizon's 3G network runs about 1 Mbps if you're lucky. It's a huge difference, which is why I never expected to see the iPhone on Verizon until LTE.

No data while talking? Kinda lame :/

When was the last time it was actually useful? Maybe talking on the phone and GPS? I don't see it as deal breaker for me.

When was the last time it was actually useful? Maybe talking on the phone and GPS? I don't see it as deal breaker for me.

When you're used to having it, it's incredibly useful. When you've never had it before, you wouldn't expect it to be useful.

Well, GSM is what AT&T uses, and the iPhone 4 supports HSPA meaning it consistently gets real world speeds of 3-5 Mbps down and 1+ Mbps up. Verizon's 3G network runs about 1 Mbps if you're lucky. It's a huge difference, which is why I never expected to see the iPhone on Verizon until LTE.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I knew they were using different things (GSM and CDMA) but I never bothered looking up speeds or something.

No data while talking? Kinda lame :/

Thats pathetic, A whole commercial was dedicated to this ability. Check reservations/email while talking to somone, OR checking the map while on the phone. If this isnt possible then screw it.

Thats pathetic, A whole commercial was dedicated to this ability. Check reservations/email while talking to somone, OR checking the map while on the phone. If this isnt possible then screw it.

Yeah, it's also pretty inconvenient if you're using the WiFi hotspot capability, a phone call will cut off data to your devices.

The aerial band has moved, its now by the lock button, so not exactly the same phone

Well the internals have changed slightly too to support CDMA so no, it was never going to be exactly the same.

I'm sure this is great news for the US peoples. (Y)

When you're used to having it, it's incredibly useful. When you've never had it before, you wouldn't expect it to be useful.

Its available on all smart phones on ATT and I have yet to find anything useful for it. Thats just me thought.

It is actually really useful. Think of all the times that you have to talk to your mom or girlfriend about some stuff you don't care about.

*Turn on speakerphone*

*Open Safari*

*Say: "Yes, I was thinking same thing." every few seconds*

You think I'm kidding. I'm not.

For me it's not so much using the phone while I'm talking but if I was downloading something before the call came in I would like the phone to keep doing it even when I'm on the phone....

And their "new feature" the 3G hotspot kinda gets ruined that it disconnects everyone if a call comes in :/

I'm happy this is finally out, even tho I live in the UK! It's been incredibly boring having non stop rumours posted on tech websites for the past 3/4 years about a topic that only really concerns the US. Often these "rumours" had little or no backup.

It was always going to happen tho. It made absolutely no sense for Apple to limit the iPhone to just one carrier in the US. Being limited to just AT&T made sense when the iPhone first came out, as no other carrier would give Apple the freedom they wanted. But nowadays it's causing more harm than good to Apple, considering Android/Wp7 devices are on multiple devices. It was limiting the amount of growth for iOS devices in the US.

• Like 2

It is actually really useful. Think of all the times that you have to talk to your mom or girlfriend about some stuff you don't care about.

*Turn on speakerphone*

*Open Safari*

*Say: "Yes, I was thinking same thing." every few seconds*

You think I'm kidding. I'm not.

:laugh:

Actually, that's a good idea. Never used it like that. :p

I usually use the voice + data to check movie times or map out a location while I'm on the phone with my girlfriend.

The antenna design has been changed, but we don't know if it has fixed the current iPhone 4 reception problem:

Those are probably differences made to accomodate CDMA.

The bad part is no voice + data...having a hot spot that when you get a call....the wifi drops. I wouldn't drop my AT&T iPhone for that.. Perhaps since there is no deal tying this to Verizon only, they'll spread to Sprint..and take over the US.

original.jpg

I will. The wife and I have iPhone 3g's and at&t has crap service at our new house. Her condition to move to Verizon was that she could get an iPhone. Now I'm just waiting for them to get some WP7 devices and we're gone!

Is the new antennae design just a modification for CDMA or is it a "fix" of the previous design? Also, version number shows 4.2.5 so hopefully the Personal Hotspot feature comes to other networks, mainly O2 in UK.

dont want to get it on the 1st day. I am gonna wait until the hype has died down and minor problems solved.

I'm along those lines as well because I'm curious if VZW will get the refresh in June usually.

dont want to get it on the 1st day. I am gonna wait until the hype has died down and minor problems solved.

What minor problems do you think there will be that could be solved?

Any problem that is hard ware based better be extremely major before there is a hard ware tweak. If it is a software based issue, they'll just release a new firmware so there is no point is not getting it earlier.