Wedding Photography - Suggestions?

does the 50mm 1.4 come with Nikon's 5 year warranty? The only reason I ask is because I don't see that stated anywhere... I checked Adorama (USA) and they also have 50mm 1.4 for 434.95 free shipping including 5 year U.S.A. warranty, however, they also have one that says "gray market" (409.95) which is essentially an "imported" lenses as seen on bhphotovideo... now I have read that Nikon/canon will usually not warranty imported lenses (at least not like they will a non-imported lens)...

However, I don't think there is a difference in quality, the difference is price but lack of warranty... But if you are going to go with the imported lens then buy it at adorama as it's cheaper and they give you 1 year warranty through them (again free shipping). OR buy there non-imported lens for the same price you were going to spend anyway and get something that's covered for 5 years.

Either way, it looks like bhphoto is not the way to go in this case.

Imported is just a nicer way of saying gray market... it's not exactly the black market (illegal) but it's close... and the camera manufacturers don't like to support that.

USA doesn't mean that the lenses were made in the USA, it just means that the US packaging and warranty are the item.

Agreed, if you're set on buying grey market stuff, buy from adorama as they give you 1 year guarantee on their behalf.

I've bought a few gray market ones, it's the same lens, you save some money, but as stated above, the warranty can be iffy. It's worth it for the cheap lenses, IMO, because the difference percentage wise between $100 and $120 is quite a bit, and if the lens dies in 5 years, it's not a huge loss, but it's hardly worth saving $20 on a $400+ lens.

As a married guy...

Make a list (or get a list from the couple) of what pics are wanted (Bride + Groom, B+G + Parents, B+G+ Best Men). Rely upon the ushers to get the people together at the right times, so they should have the list too.

As a word of advice: Don't do it.

Its a once in a lifetime thing for people. You don't have the proper experience. I've been shooting for 6 years and wouldn't take a wedding. You need to start out as an assistant for multiple weddings before you even consider it.

They are your friends. What if your pictures don't turn out right? Will that effect your friendship? Do you have the proper photo-processing skills, insurance, a contract etc.

The fact is that you don't know what to go out and look for in your first wedding. Experience is the key

Its a once in a lifetime thing for people. You don't have the proper experience. I've been shooting for 6 years and wouldn't take a wedding. You need to start out as an assistant for multiple weddings before you even consider it.

They are your friends. What if your pictures don't turn out right? Will that effect your friendship? Do you have the proper photo-processing skills, insurance, a contract etc.

The fact is that you don't know what to go out and look for in your first wedding. Experience is the key

I'd say +1 (cuz I agree with all of that), but I think it's a bit too late for him. :(

I agree, it could be a bit stressful if you have never done it before, this past summer I shot the photos for my second cousins baptism... I was a bit nervous before-hand but as soon as I started I was fine, and the photos came out pretty good!

"Perfect" by the words of my cousin, but I wouldn't say perfect lol

I'd say +1 (cuz I agree with all of that), but I think it's a bit too late for him. :(

It's not too late for me to say no. I haven't officially said yes yet. I'll be making my final decision soon though. I'm certainly taking this into consideration.

Ah well... in that case... I'd put a lot of thought into it.

As Brandon said, wedding photography is one of the few things I would refuse to do, even for a pay check. I've heard tooooo many horror stories about it.

Plus, you might want to have a good time at your friend's wedding, you know, celebrate a bit. As the main photographer you'll be busy all night long. You might offer to help as a secondary photographer with a lighter workload though.

A lot of established Wedding photographers would gladly take someone like you under their wind. Saying this again as a married guy who has hired a wedding photographer, as well as a DJ who see's (and get's involved in the planning of ) weddings...

There's more to it than taking pictures. You are a vital role. And you need to have gone to a few as a support photographer before you do one yourself!

Plus, you might want to have a good time at your friend's wedding, you know, celebrate a bit. As the main photographer you'll be busy all night long. You might offer to help as a secondary photographer with a lighter workload though.

A lot of established Wedding photographers would gladly take someone like you under their wind. Saying this again as a married guy who has hired a wedding photographer, as well as a DJ who see's (and get's involved in the planning of ) weddings...

There's more to it than taking pictures. You are a vital role. And you need to have gone to a few as a support photographer before you do one yourself!

That's a great idea. I'm going to run that by her. It's her birthday today though. I think I'll give it a few days first. :p

A lot of established Wedding photographers would gladly take someone like you under their wind.

I dunno man... I think a lot wouldn't want to deal w/ the extra baggage. Plus I feel you'd have to have a decent portfolio of some kind for them to even bother. Think of it from their perspective. Some random person with no portfolio wants to come "help" you out?

If you plan on doing that, certainly start with ppl you know. "It's not what you know; it's who you know."

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it done. :x :angry: I'de sooner use a '70s Rangefinder than a digi P&S.

lol, aye, but clearly it does not apply to this post specifically, as it is obvious he is using a DSLR :p