• Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight: Alternative Rock
  • Nickelback - Dark Horse: Hard Rock
  • Nickelback - All the Right Reasons - Hard Rock
  • Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs: Nu Metal
  • Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists: Alternative Metal
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: Alternative Rock
  • Three Days Grace - Life Starts Now: Alternative Metal
  • Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory: Nu Metal

This kind of thing is annoying, when they just group several genres into one, especially when some of them don't even match up.

now why would hybrid theory and minutes to midnight be in 2 different genres.................its the same freakin band. thats like saying rancid is punk when it is just crap. you cant even group rancid with the likes of the germs, blackflag, butthole surfers, op ivy.........shall i go on.

i swear the skinny jeans must be cutting off the circulation to some peoples brains.

The band blue october (not the lame Blue October from the UK) said it perfectly

So here's a preview shove it under old-new

Or call it rock or pop or Bach or f***

Goddamn where did we go wrong

Now there's a category for every song

I just don't like it when they just say "Metal", because Metal is a very wide genre. There's dozens of different types of Metal.

There's... (long list incoming, sorry)

• Symphonic Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Amberian Dawn, After Forever, ReVamp, Epica, and even Metallica's "S&M" album)
  • Progressive Metal (Tool, Rishloo, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Porcupine Tree)
  • Groove Metal (Machine Head, Lamb of God, Pantera)
  • Glam Metal (Mötley Crüe, and very early Pantera :p )
  • Death Metal (Amorphis, a couple of Testament albums)
  • Extreme Metal (Cradle of Filth)
  • Power Metal (Sonata Arctica, DragonForce, X JAPAN)
  • Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, Marionette, Children of Bodom)
  • Nu Metal (Linkin Park pre-"Minutes to Midnight", Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., Hollywood Undead, Papa Roach's "Infest" album)
  • Metalcore (A Day to Remember, Every Time I Die, The Defiled, 36 Crazyfists, All That Remains, Bullet for My Valentine, Atreyu, The Devil Wears Prada, Killswitch Engage)
  • Gothic Metal (Lacuna Coil, Type O Negative, The Vision Bleak, Within Temptation pre-"Mother Earth")
  • Industrial Metal (Rammstein, Static-X, Spineshank, Marilyn Manson, Opiate for the Masses, Deathstars, Klank, D'espairsRay, Crossbreed, Circle of Dust, Argyle Park/AP2, Nine Inch Nails' "Broken" and "The Downward Spiral" albums)
  • Thrash Metal (Anthrax, Evile, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Warbringer, Trivium, Metallica pre-Black Album)
  • and good old Heavy Metal (Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Black Tide, Dio, Hellyeah, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Lordi, Manowar, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Metallica, Motörhead, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie, The Sword, White Zombie)

Now there's obviously even more than that; that's just what I've got in my music collection, but it shows you a little bit of how diverse Metal is. :)

I just don't like it when they just say "Metal", because Metal is a very wide genre. There's dozens of different types of Metal.

• Symphonic Metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Amberian Dawn, After Forever, ReVamp, Epica, and even Metallica's "S&M" album)
  • Glam Metal (Motley Crue, and very early Pantera :p )
  • Nu Metal (Linkin Park pre-"Minutes to Midnight", Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., Hollywood Undead, Papa Roach's "Infest" album)
  • Metalcore (A Day to Remember, Every Time I Die, The Defiled, 36 Crazyfists, All That Remains, Bullet for My Valentine, Atreyu, The Devil Wears Prada, Killswitch Engage)
  • Gothic Metal (Lacuna Coil, Type O Negative, The Vision Bleak, Within Temptation pre-"Mother Earth")
  • Industrial Metal (Rammstein, Static-X, Spineshank, Marilyn Manson, Opiate for the Masses, Deathstars, Klank, D'espairsRay, Crossbreed, Circle of Dust, Argyle Park/AP2, Nine Inch Nails' "Broken" and "The Downward Spiral" albums)
  • Thrash Metal (Anthrax, Evile, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Warbringer, Trivium, Metallica pre-Black Album)

Now there's obviously even more than that; that's just what I've got in my music collection, but it shows you a little bit of how diverse Metal is. :)

Let's say you have a huge library filled with all kinds of music and you try to organize this mess. I choose some main genres and I place eg. alternative, metal, brit rock, pop rock and so on into "rock" if it's some way or another could be related to "rock". But seriously, you can't organize stuff like the way you want. There are a huge amount of albums with songs which have other genres. It's impossible and not practicle!

Let's say you have a huge library filled with all kinds of music and you try to organize this mess. I choose some main genres and I place eg. alternative, metal, brit rock, pop rock and so on into "rock" if it's some way or another could be related to "rock". But seriously, you can't organize stuff like the way you want. There are a huge amount of albums with songs which have other genres. It's impossible and not practicle!

That's why I just call them all 'metal' in my library. :p

True, I don't go that extreme, changing the genre on every individual song, but it's not that hard to do it the way I do it. I can't stand grouping loads of albums into simply "Metal" or "Rock", because that's not detailed enough. Take a couple of examples; Dream Theater, and Machine Head. They're both Metal bands, but that's where the similarities end. Dream Theater do extra-long songs containing complex drum beats, melodic vocals, keyboard solos, and hugely difficult guitar solos. Machine Head, on the other hand, do fast-paced songs, with Thrash Metal-style drum beats, heavy guitar and bass, screaming vocals, and an overall darker tone compared to Dream Theater.

There are a lot of unique differences between bands, so it just doesn't seem right to bundle them all into one huge genre.

• Glam Metal (M?tley Cr?e, and very early Pantera :p )
  • and good old Heavy Metal (Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Black Tide, Dio, Hellyeah, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Lordi, Manowar, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Metallica, Mot?rhead, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie, The Sword, White Zombie)

You have to realize though that the majority of people don't care. moreso, they can't sort this selectively for marketing reasons. people who don't know about the 5000 sub genres of metal. they click on metal to find metal stuff. they don't know what the sub genres mean or what they are or where to find the stuff they're looking for. so they do it like this because it's better for everyone, except the absolute hard core fans who actually know some of the sub genres despite the fact that people make up new sub genres daily because they don't want to be put in a box, utterly failing to see the irony. and fans who don't like to think that they listen to the same type of music as some other band, make up new sub genres for their band so people won't think they're into "popular" :rolleyes: music.

if you want sub genres tag them in yourself.