No more smoking in NYC parks

New York (CNN) -- The city that never sleeps is moving closer to becoming the city that never smokes, or at least the city that highly restricts it.

Nine years after the Big Apple banned smoking in its restaurants, the New York City Council on Wednesday voted to ban smoking in city parks and on city beaches, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a written statement.

The council voted 36 to 12 in favor of the ban, much to the chagrin of those who think the government is overstepping its role into its residents' lives.

The ban prohibits smoking in all 1,700 city parks and on its 14 miles of beaches, the statement said, and is intended to prevent the harmful effects of secondhand smoke for children.

more

What are 'city beaches'?

I think it's a good idea to ban smoking in public places, that also includes parks.

Though how will it be Policed?

What are 'city beaches'?

I think it's a good idea to ban smoking in public places, that also includes parks.

Though how will it be Policed?

pretty sure polices will patrol the parks and give tickets if ppl are smokings.

Surely there must be designated smoking points ? If your worried about your health don't live in a huge city that's cramped.

Or, if you want to smoke, don't do it in public parks where people come to get some fresh air in a cramped city.

I thought some states had a ban on smoking in public places, I'm pretty sure it was the last time I was in Florida, there were even signs up to report people.

Funny, I kinda assumed it was country wide. I think its still a good idea though

i wouldn't mind people smoking in public (open air areas) if only they had the decency to dispose of their cigarette butts in a civlized manner. Just throwing them on the ground is repulsive behaviour imho

As a former smoker (only for about a year to two) I find smoking now far too repulsive and completely pointless (seriously there are NO benefits of smoking at all! unless you want to be a rebel... of good health & smells :p)

But as far as this whole park business goes I don't think people should smoke anywhere it's going to affect someone else because second hand smoke is just as damaging and as people have said you goto the park to escape the smog and bull****.

i wouldn't mind people smoking in public (open air areas) if only they had the decency to dispose of their cigarette butts in a civlized manner. Just throwing them on the ground is repulsive behaviour imho

I'll back you up on that :laugh: When a smoker dies, the body should just be dumped in a landfill -- hehe.