Argh, Windows 7 is annoying the hell out of me!

Perhaps if you stopped ****ing with settings like that then things would work right. People who treat Windows 7 as if it were Windows 98 or XP are the ones who always have the problems, it seems. Install the OS, install the software you need, and leave it the **** alone!!!

So I suppose you never mess with msconfig when you have software starting up that you don't need, like Adobe Switchboard for example? I only disable start up items, something I am sure everyone does here.

Also, I am using a Samsung drive (Spinpoint F3 2TB,) performance seems the same. I am just going to deal with it. But I just need to see if I am asking for more than I need, because I never really used anybody else PC to see if mines is really slow, or if I am asking for too much.

Perhaps if you stopped ****ing with settings like that then things would work right. People who treat Windows 7 as if it were Windows 98 or XP are the ones who always have the problems, it seems. Install the OS, install the software you need, and leave it the **** alone!!!

There is nothing wrong with messing with settings. Hell I went into services.msc and turned off about 10 services I don't need. Haven't missed them sense. Messing with most settings will not make your computer slow.

do that with windows 98 and it will be even quicker...

98? Bloatware. Real tweakers stuck with 3.1.. none of that registry nonsense either.

There is nothing wrong with messing with settings. Hell I went into services.msc and turned off about 10 services I don't need. Haven't missed them sense. Messing with most settings will not make your computer slow.

If you don't know what you're doing, yea, you can make it slow and/or not work properly. Disable readyboost, presto, slow booting. Disable base filtering engine, whups there goes your firewall. Blast one of several and suddenly you can't see other machines on your network. Just for examples.

So I suppose you never mess with msconfig when you have software starting up that you don't need, like Adobe Switchboard for example? I only disable start up items, something I am sure everyone does here.

Also, I am using a Samsung drive (Spinpoint F3 2TB,) performance seems the same. I am just going to deal with it. But I just need to see if I am asking for more than I need, because I never really used anybody else PC to see if mines is really slow, or if I am asking for too much.

As I said: of course it takes longer to boot than XP, it loads the OS into ram. This makes the initial boot a bit slower, but it significantly improves the speed once booted.

One thing you may want to check is what mode your motherboard is running in for the drive controller IDE/AHCI/RAID etc.

If you are running in IDE mode, then check within Device Manager that it is using DMA and not PIO. Not seen it on Win7, but I had a number of XP machines that would drop to PIO mode and then run like a dog. If PIO is showing, then set it to DMA (think it's a check box on work PC at mo and can't confirm).

AStaley.

I bought a computer for ?300 from an eBay shop 3-4 years ago. It has an E8400 (Intel Core2Duo 3ghz), 4GB RAM, not sure what hard drive but I doubt it's anything special at that price, Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, and it boots up in less than a minute. I've never really had to touch the settings to optimise it.

I use CCleaner and Defraggler whenever it gets a bit slow, no other maintenance required. Sometimes you should just let the computer do its' own thing...

Don't buy into the hype. CCleaner doesn't make your computer go faster. It makes it go slower since it deletes the caches.

My computer is noticeably faster after I run CCleaner. It only deletes caches if you tell it to.

Dude lol are you ok? I ask as any thing I have seen you reply to recently has be full or anger lol...

On topic he is correct dont mess with the startup settings, if your unsure what your doing you can really mess things up badly, drivers will not run and your be unable to boot in to fix stuff. Leave that all on normal, if its still slow could be a cable problem, or some bad software is slowing it down, check cpu and see whats going on there :)

My computer is noticeably faster after I run CCleaner. It only deletes caches if you tell it to.

*cough* placebo *cough* ;)

But if you really think so, take a camera and chronometer, time your boot and startup of key programs. Use CCleaner and repeat. If there really is a noticeable difference I'll eat my words ;)

You specifically stated that you are constantly modding files, editing prefetch files, and editing the registry. Any and all of those can and WILL result in a slow system, especially on Windows 7.

Go back and read the statement that I was replying to. He is messing with far more than services.msc.

Dude lol are you ok? I ask as any thing I have seen you reply to recently has be full or anger lol...

You must have only been reading topics where I was replying to people who did insanely stupid stuff, then blamed others (or their computers) for the problems. At nearly 40 years old, I'm pretty much fed up with that kind of BS.

You specifically stated that you are constantly modding files, editing prefetch files, and editing the registry. Any and all of those can and WILL result in a slow system, especially on Windows 7.

Of course but we have people here who think they're smarter than computer software engineers in the same way that there are boy racers out there who tweak their car believing that some how they're more intelligent than an engineer who went to university for 5 years and attained a degree. 9/10, if a decision has been made by Microsoft engineers to default to a certain setting it is done for a reason - I'm always amazed how there are those who think dicking around with settings will allow them to eek out a few extra points in performance :/

I don't know why people complain about boot times and speed issues on Windows 7, my Windows 7 machine boots just as fast as my XP machine did when I was using XP. Hell, even Vista booted quite fast for me compared to XP. I've ran Vista on low spec hardware such as an AMD 64 x 2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz, Geforce 6100 LE, 1 GB ram and even a Celeron D 330 @ 2.66 Ghz with a Geforce FX 5500 OC, 1 GB ram without any performance issues. I usually install a lot of software and games, I have quite a collection of games that I play and various free/open-source software that I install.

Something isn't right here..

I don't know why people complain about boot times and speed issues on Windows 7, my Windows 7 machine boots just as fast as my XP machine did when I was using XP.

I get about the same experience here on a couple systems. XP got to the desktop a few seconds faster, but it's busy for quite a bit longer loading things in the background. 7 on the other hand was idle and ready to go once the desktop was up, end result being ready to go significantly quicker, plus Superfetch will already have my frequent apps cached, so they fire off right away too, versus waiting yet again with XP. Short version, I'm up and doing my thing quite a bit quicker, whereas on XP I'm staring at the busy cursor while it's still loading.

Seeing the wallpaper != system is ready to go.

No it doesn't. Disabling services does not make your computer faster.

Ditto this, with the exclusion of third party services.. I have a pet peeve with a bajillion updater services that have no business being a service in the first place. Core Microsoft services though, no, those really should be left alone.. it doesn't speed things up and it doesn't save memory. Idle services get offloaded, net result being my system actually has more free memory than XP, even with all that stuff active. CPU usage isn't an issue either, as most won't even do anything if the system is busy, the indexer for example.

Can't treat it like an operating system from two generations/10 years ago.. it's not the same thing.

*cough* placebo *cough* ;)

But if you really think so, take a camera and chronometer, time your boot and startup of key programs. Use CCleaner and repeat. If there really is a noticeable difference I'll eat my words ;)

My computer's not in any kind of disarray to test that at the moment (the first time I ran CCleaner it removed 2+ gigs of unwanted rubbish, on average it removes ~100MB each time I run it now).

In theory, if I remove data from the hard drive and then defragment the free space, that should make writing to the HD faster thus speeding up the computer.

:rolleyes: laff

I really hope you don't actually hold any senior IT roles as your job. cause you got a lot of schooling and elarning to do before you're ready for the real world.

My computer's not in any kind of disarray to test that at the moment (the first time I ran CCleaner it removed 2+ gigs of unwanted rubbish, on average it removes ~100MB each time I run it now).

In theory, if I remove data from the hard drive and then defragment the free space, that should make writing to the HD faster thus speeding up the computer.

removing stuff and runnign unecessary defrags won't magically make your computer faster.

I really hope you don't actually hold any senior IT roles as your job. cause you got a lot of schooling and elarning to do before you're ready for the real world.

removing stuff and runnign unecessary defrags won't magically make your computer faster.

What's elearning, runnign and unecessary? :wacko:

Less fragmentation = faster access times for files. It's a no brainer :unsure:

:rolleyes: laff

Yeah, that's a very intelligent rebuttal. You obviously don't know much about the subject. If you actually knew anything about how Windows 7 worked you'd know why it's ignorant to think that disabling services is going to speed up your computer.

• Like 2