Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva

Tonight! Who's going to watch it live? Here is the relevant part of the card.

Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve: Ray Sefo vs Valentijn Overeem

Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve: Chad Griggs vs. Gian Villante

Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve: Shane Del Rosario vs. Lavar Johnson

Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarter-Final: Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarter-Final: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio Silva

This is either going to be one of best storylines of the year for the HW division or an all out disaster for Strikeforce. I'm leaning towards the later but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Lot's of chances for an alternate to move up to a final place due to injury (I'm looking at you Fedor) and that would just suck for Strikeforce. Imagine doing all this to get a top ranked fighter in HW and in the end Shane Del Rosario ends up winning it all. One of the problems of a top heavy tournament without reliable reserve spots (they all pretty much suck...).

This is a must win fight for Fedor. The last one could be excused as an off night, but if he loses 2 in a row people are going to say he's past his prime.

People are already saying that. Fedor looked, for lack of a better word, fat at 230. Look at a guy like JDS at UFC 117 that weighted in at 240. World of difference.

You know the rest of the story: hasn't fought anyone relevant in years, etc, etc. But those are the facts. He has the perfect chance to prove they are wrong by winning the GP but only if he wins without any of the reserve fighters taking over. I would like to see how he fares against Overeem or Barnett. Even Silva is going to be a change of levels. But if he ends up winning by beating Silva, Sean Del Rosario and Gian Villante, he isn't going to silence nobody.

Well Fedor just said this might have sealed the deal for him, and he is considering retirement. May just be building up the drama, but I do not see that being the case, and think he might be serious.

Well Fedor just said this might have sealed the deal for him, and he is considering retirement. May just be building up the drama, but I do not see that being the case, and think he might be serious.

he's done it all really, has a near perfect record so I would not blame him if he does.

Jesus.. Fedor is a god damn beast.. so is Silva.

Is miragliotta a retard?

Miragliotta has a duty to look out for the welfare of the fighters, not for Fedor fanboys. If Strikeforce allowed elbows on the ground, Fedor would have been weeks in the hospital. He was completely dominated in the 2nd round and I don't think that the 3rd round would have gone any better. Only if magic was involved.

People wanted to know how Fedor would fare against someone who isn't a can, if Werdum was a fluke. Now we know. Fedor should retire or cut to LHW at least because he can't compete with top HW anymore. Maybe in 2006 he could but not in 2011. He ate a ton of shots in the first round and did no significant damage to Silva. And the 2nd was a total blowout. Was nearly submitted twice and mounted with ease.

The rest of the fights:

Valentijn Overeem vs. Ray Sefo: No surprises. 2-0 Kickboxer with 0 ground game against a can-crusher like Valentijin. Tapped by a neck-crank oh my...

Chad Griggs vs. Gianpiero Villante: Gameplan: move forward and smash! A sloppy brawl to ignite the fans but none of these guys has title contention in their future.

Shane Del Rosario vs. Lavar Johnson: Lavar doing the only thing that he knows, swing his big right hand and hope that someone stands still enough for it to connect. Once he got put on his back, he couldn't get himself up. A gift-wrapped armbar.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov: If anyone needed confirmation that Arlovski is done, here you go. Kharitonov just stood in front of him, no foot movement, no head bobbing and beat him down. It's like he knew Arlovski couldn't hurt him in anyway. Arlovski also kept his back on the fence and never tought to move away from it.

Anyone who thinks strikeforce's HW division is better than UFC, or that this stupid grand prix will determine the greatest HW in the world, is ****ing retarded. Not only is strikeforce amateur in every way, but all they do is hype their biggest fighter and when he loses they don't know what to do and look for a way to somehow bring him back to the tournament. I have no doubt in my mind that this tournament was meant for fedor to win, as he is their "cashcow" and they needed a way to build him back up after the werdum loss. The fact that when the show starts they announce frank shamrock as a "legend of the sport" should be enough to convince anyone to turn off the tv, and the commentators are soooooo ****ing amateur and annoying as balls. Did you hear when arlovski lost, the dude was like "he did what cristina aguilera did to the anthem at the super bowl last week" good lord. The arlovski vs karatonov fight was probably one of the worst HW fights i've ever seen, both fighters like 1 min in, were swining soooo slow, it was pathetic. Arlovski is 1-4 now, he has a glass chin, and shouldn't have even been allowed in this ****ty tournament. Words cannot describe how happy i am that fedor lost, to ****ing antonio silva...lol

Strikeforce is a joke, seriously.

<snipped>

You think Brock Lesnar is good? UFC tried to do the same with him. Any of the people in that tournament (except Arlovski) would most likely beat Lesnar.

I actually prefer Strikeforce over UFC over the last few months. Almost all of the UFC fights lately go to decision. People love to see a fight ended, not decided by a judge.

As for saying the Arlovski fight was the worst, you seem to forget how gassed Carwin got against Lesnar when they fought. He couldn't even throw a punch at all anymore.

You think Brock Lesnar is good? UFC tried to do the same with him. Any of the people in that tournament (except Arlovski) would most likely beat Lesnar.

I actually prefer Strikeforce over UFC over the last few months. Almost all of the UFC fights lately go to decision. People love to see a fight ended, not decided by a judge.

As for saying the Arlovski fight was the worst, you seem to forget how gassed Carwin got against Lesnar when they fought. He couldn't even throw a punch at all anymore.

I hate lesnar more than anyone, but do i think these fighters could beat him, not a chance. Aside from maybe fedor or overeem, the other 6 would get destroyed by lesnar. Lesnar beat Carwin, Mir, and couture, and I guarantee aside from maybe couture, even carwin and mir could beat most of the people in that tournament.

The arlovski fight WAS the worst, and not just because of him, both fighters were throwing slow ass punches like 1 minute into the fight, name a HW ufc fight that's looked as sluggish that early on. But not only that, the commentators are quick to point out that Arlovki has the best boxing in the HW division, meanwhile his movement and lack of covering up proves he's probably one of the worst, at the moment. He may have been a good boxer in the past, but he had no business being in this tournament, and neither did his opponent. Sure carwin gassed, and he paid for it, but lesnar got pounded on for 5 minutes and still had more energy to win the fight than either of those bums.

Surely lastnights fight will end the reign of fedor nut huggers.

UFC President Dana White had the same response to the upset as he had after Emelianenko's loss to Werdum last summer (details). White once again took to his Twitter account and wrote, ":)" When someone asked White to show Emelianenko some respect after all he's done for the sport, White wrote, "wtf has he done for the sport!? Ur f--kin nuts"

When another person Tweeted that White get tweet bombed for his response, White wrote, "Quit ur cryin b--ch. You don't have to live the lie anymore. Get his nuts out of ur mouth now."

White's problems with Emelianenko and his management are well known as he has been trying to sign the Russian heavyweight for years now. Stories of Fedor signing with the UFC have been like the movie Groundhog Day, with White being confident in signing the legend, only for negotiations to fall apart due to Emelianenko's promotional company, M-1 Global, wanting to co-promote with the organization.

"he was INCREDIBLY mismanaged!!," White noted on his Twitter. "Worst management in fight history"

I hate lesnar more than anyone, but do i think these fighters could beat him, not a chance. Aside from maybe fedor or overeem, the other 6 would get destroyed by lesnar. Lesnar beat Carwin, Mir, and couture, and I guarantee aside from maybe couture, even carwin and mir could beat most of the people in that tournament.

The arlovski fight WAS the worst, and not just because of him, both fighters were throwing slow ass punches like 1 minute into the fight, name a HW ufc fight that's looked as sluggish that early on. But not only that, the commentators are quick to point out that Arlovki has the best boxing in the HW division, meanwhile his movement and lack of covering up proves he's probably one of the worst, at the moment. He may have been a good boxer in the past, but he had no business being in this tournament, and neither did his opponent. Sure carwin gassed, and he paid for it, but lesnar got pounded on for 5 minutes and still had more energy to win the fight than either of those bums.

Sorry but in the UFC the only good Heavyweights they have are Cain and Junior, after that you can start listing most of the Strikeforce heavyweights before getting to Brock, just look at the W/L records for the fighters, most Strikeforce heavy weights have more losses than most UFC heavyweights have total fights

It's been pretty obvious that Fedor and Arlovski were on a downward trend, just natural progression of the sport, that they both are considering retirement proves that.

Would love to see a cross promotional tournament and see how well the heavyweights really stack up against each other but I highly doubt Dana would go for that, he would risk having too many of his fighters loose to the "inferior" Strikeforce guys

Sorry but in the UFC the only good Heavyweights they have are Cain and Junior, after that you can start listing most of the Strikeforce heavyweights before getting to Brock Sure, let's start. Overeem (the good one), Werdum and... want to throw in Shane Del Rosario since he's 11-0? Or any of the other rubbish HW that are padding this tournament? , just look at the W/L records for the fighters, most Strikeforce heavy weights have more losses than most UFC heavyweights have total fights Valentijn Overeem is the greatest HW in the world as he's 29-25.

It's been pretty obvious that Fedor and Arlovski were on a downward trend, just natural progression of the sport, that they both are considering retirement proves that.

Would love to see a cross promotional tournament and see how well the heavyweights really stack up against each other but I highly doubt Dana would go for that, he would risk having too many of his fighters loose to the "inferior" Strikeforce guys

Strikeforce just saw their plans for 2011 go down the drain. They didn't make Fedor fight Overeem in the first round, now the oportunity has passed for the PPV blockbuster that would be Fedor vs Overeem and the UFC will probably strike a crucial blow by inking Silva vs GSP for 2011-early 2012.

That's about it. 95% of the roster of this HW tournament would get destroyed even by Roy Nelson or Frank Mir. No need to even get Lesnar into this. Most of them are coming into the fights on losing streaks. The commentators do their job and drink a lot of their own Kool-aid. They were almost fellating Fedor while he was getting smashed to bits.

Strikeforce just saw their plans for 2011 go down the drain. They didn't make Fedor fight Overeem in the first round, now the oportunity has passed for the PPV blockbuster that would be Fedor vs Overeem and the UFC will probably strike a crucial blow by inking Silva vs GSP for 2011-early 2012.

That's about it. 95% of the roster of this HW tournament would get destroyed even by Roy Nelson or Frank Mir. No need to even get Lesnar into this. Most of them are coming into the fights on losing streaks. The commentators do their job and drink a lot of their own Kool-aid. They were almost fellating Fedor while he was getting smashed to bits.

EXACTLY. I have no idea why people rate the SF HW division so high, it's mind boggling.

@z0phi3l , you can brag about statistics and records all you want, but a "fedor" with 30 wins 0 losses against nobodies doesnt' make him better than a 5-2 Lensar against some top HW's.

Last night's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva show drew 11,287 fans to New Jersey's IZOD Center. The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board has verified the number, which will go down as Strikeforce's second-highest attended show of the past 18 months. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said after the show that the promotion will return to the area in the near future.
Gina Carano is set to return to fighting this summer, most likely in June. No word yet on who she will face. The return was initially announced during last night's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva event. The most likely spot for Carano's return is the Strikeforce show headlined by Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley which will headline the currently unannounced summer show. Carano last fought in August, losing to Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos.
Fedor Emelianenko has been suspended indefinitely after his loss last night. The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board issued the following suspensions from last night's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva event.

* Fedor Emelianenko: suspended indefinitely pending CT scan of head and facial bones. Also suspended 90 days for head strikes

* Andrei Arlovski: suspended 30 days for knockout

* Chad Griggs: suspended 30 days for hematoma on ear

* Gian Villante: suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons

* Don Carlo-Clauss: suspended 30 days for laceration healing

* Anthony Leone: suspended indefinitely pending clearance by ear, nose and throat doctor for damage to nose; also suspended 90 days for healing.