Why Hacking the PS3 is good for everyone

Recently, an average Joe Modern Warfware 2 player contacted KaKaRoTo, a prominent PS3 hacker/dev, and asked him to stop hacking the Playstation 3. Here is his original email:

Hi there,

I’m an honest guy and i would like you to kindly stop hacking the PS3 version of MW2. I would really like to play normally but it seems that I can’t find a normal lobby. If you don’t want to stop could you please tell me why you are doing this?

Thanking you in advance,

[private]

The following is KaKaRoTo's response. Perhaps it can enlighten the ignorant as to why hacking is good for everyone.

Hi [private],

I get a lot of hate mail recently from people who have no idea about who I am and what I do. Thank you for being polite and respectful. For this reason, you are the first one to whom I will reply.

I do not hack MW2, I don’t have MW2, I never bought it and never tried it. I hate FPS shooters, the only ones I ever played were Resistance 2 and Killzone 2, and I never played those in multiplayer, only single player campaigns.

I am not responsible for whoever is hacking your MW2 servers, the real people to yell at are those 10 years olds in their basement thinking they’re all great for doing stuff like that.

They should be reported and their account banned, but that is beyond my control.

What I do however is completely different, I defend you, I defend you from Sony’s unacceptable behavior. Imagine if for some reason, Microsoft or Apple (Windows or Mac OSX) were acting like Sony, and that you couldn’t access anything on your computer without their authorization? You want to install Skype, you can’t because Microsoft didn’t “approve” it.. because they want you to use MSN Messenger instead… Then where is your freedom on your own machine ?

Also, what about the fact that they removed Linux support. Sony removed an advertised feature! I bought my PS3 *because* it had linux support, then they removed it. Maybe you didn’t use it, maybe very few people used that feature, but that is beyond the point. Just recently, Norway came to the conclusion that what Sony did was unlawful and there are countless lawsuits against what they did. And this sets a precedent.

Imagine if tomorrow Sony says “in the next firmware update, we will remove from the PS3 support of playing Bluray movies and DVDs”.. you bought the PS3 for that, you use that feature (or maybe you don’t, the issue is that someone else does), and they can just remove an advertised feature? It’s illegal, but why can they do it even if it’s illegal? For one simple reason, they have total control over the machine. They could very well do it, then say “pay a 100$ subscription per year to enable that feature”. The machine *can* do it, it did before, but they block it on purpose because they don’t care about their customers.

Recently George Hotz got sued by Sony because he accessed *HIS* PS3 system that he bought. He owns it, if he wants to put it in a blender or throw it out the window, it’s his right, but Sony sues him for “hacking into a protected computer owned by Sony”.. so for them, that PS3 that you own and that you bought with your hard-earned money is NOT YOURS, it’s still theirs, it’s like you rented it (but you didn’t). If you try to access your own computer, they could sue you, just as if you tried to hack into your bank’s server somewhere.. and that isn’t right.

Sony tries to make it seem like they own your PS3 and they own the PS3 that is in everyone’s houses across the world, and that simply isn’t right and it should be made illegal for them to act that way.

Long story short, this is what I do, I let people gain access to the hardware they own, what I do is 100% legal in my country (Canada), and it is equivalent to the recent DMCA Exemption for jailbreaking phones. Now, if someone uses that to do nasty things, you have two people to blame :

1 – the stupid kid who did it

2 – the developers of MW2 that didn’t write their program correctly.

There are many FPS shooters on the PC, and people can install what they want on their PC, that doesn’t make it impossible to play an FPS game on a PC, simply because the developers write their code correctly to prevents the cheaters from cheating.

Anyways, I hope that my explanation makes everything clearer to you, and that you will not judge me for what I do, because I am not a cheater, I am a freedom fighter.

Thank you,

KaKaRoTo

As you can see, KaKaRoto and Geohot are standing up for everyone's freedoms. That console hooked up to your display is yours, is it not? Why shouldn't you be able to run custom code and applications provided you operate within the boundaries of the law? Is putting XBMC or equivalent on the PS3 bad for the videogames industry?

Source

Edit - Source Added

Funny thing is, unless they could ban consoles it's pointless. Joe Shmoe gets his account banned, opens a new one and starts all over. This weekend a kid was on with 4 of his buddies, all level 70 and he killed our entire team in a series of button mashing through a menu. I looked at his profile and it was empty, he was level 0. tells me (unless I'm wrong) he got banned and just started a new account.

Correct me if I'm wrong but banning accounts does nothing, they just open up a new one.

Funny thing is, unless they could ban consoles it's pointless. Joe Shmoe gets his account banned, opens a new one and starts all over. This weekend a kid was on with 4 of his buddies, all level 70 and he killed our entire team in a series of button mashing through a menu. I looked at his profile and it was empty, he was level 0. tells me (unless I'm wrong) he got banned and just started a new account.

Correct me if I'm wrong but banning accounts does nothing, they just open up a new one.

For the PS3, yea that is how I look at it. I would just use a pseudo account anyway I would never use my 'official' one.

But as for the article, it is justification pure and simple. I understand his concept and what he is getting at, but he is still providing fuel to a pyromaniac. And as for his argument towards PC gaming, well that is why the game industry created cheating systems to monitor for cheaters. Sonys/developers protection was within the content management of their device, which is now wide open. So basically we are stuck playing catch-up or hoping that the developers can patch every single exploit that is found.

For the PS3, yea that is how I look at it. I would just use a pseudo account anyway I would never use my 'official' one.

But as for the article, it is justification pure and simple. I understand his concept and what he is getting at, but he is still providing fuel to a pyromaniac.

Agree

This guy and Geo add fuel to the fire and supply the communication for these "kids" to use. Sony and the Devs need to get in gear both for Console and PC. Punkbuster is the only one I know of for PC, and whatever Blizzard uses (can't remember the name). But, I think they need to start banning Consoles (if it's possible) instead of by username.

Doesn't Xbox/Microsoft do this already or do they just do your XBL:name?

Doesn't Xbox/Microsoft do this already or do they just do your XBL:name?

MS bans consoles from Live only, so any activity done on live is banned. I agree with KaKaRoto here and also MS at the same time, users should be able to access their system however they like but at the same time MS's Live service has a right to ban anyone with mode console to prevent cheating.

What Sony's is doing to downright wrong, they should just ban the CONSOLE on PSN rather than going after the modders. Really I can't belive Sony sunk so low as to sue anyone.

Honestly as nice as it is to have full control of your hardware, if you want a box you can use for anythign with full control. build a HTPC or something.

hacking brings NOTHING good to the scene. it lets you run a severely limited linux on it, with not enough ram to do anything useful on it. on the other hand, it opens the door wide for people ruinign everyones experience, for pirating...

If MS bans the console from XBL services, then why the hell doesn't Sony learn from this? Or are they just trying to make an example?

Off-Topic:

The Wii is easily hacked and you can back up your games with it. But Nintendo doesn't do anything about it really except updates to stop it..

So, to summarise, he wants to "free" the device from the "control" of the company that designed them?

What a damn hippy. If you don't want to accept the control the company places on the device, just don't buy it.

I think he's got the right idea but he's basically inviting these kids to go ahead and make these cheats.

But, I think they need to start banning Consoles (if it's possible) instead of by username.
I've heard they can ban your mac address but haven't implemented it yet. Not sure if that would help.

I agree that you own the hardware but not the software that runs the hardware since it comes with a software license agreement.

If thats the case you can t jailbreak phones which is legal in the US.

I've heard they can ban your mac address but haven't implemented it yet. Not sure if that would help.

That's what I heard too that they can but don't..

Didnt Sony and Treyarch PermaBan Blackops from being played on hacked console?? That was a permanent ban from playing blackops from that console.

I think thats using the mac address so i believe its implemented in 3.56

I understand what KaKaRoto is saying but surely he is wrong.

example;

-random programmer develops a forum script

-he sells it, it's copyrighted, it's his code

-people can use it, but they can't modify it

-if someone goes ahead and modifies it, then random programmer is going to be ****ed off?

When you are buying a PS3 you are buying the use of someone elses creation, you are not buying ownership of the software and code to do whatever you want with.

I know sony probably only cares about this because of the possibility of piracy (which isn't really a bad thing) but it looks to me like they are in every right. I bet he is just using the Linux thing as justification.

If you don't want to accept the control the company places on the device, just don't buy it.

This is precisely the type of backward-logic hackers are trying to protect us from. Consumers have the freedom to spend their money where they see fit. If a consumer chooses to purchase a ps3, that user is not agreeing to a TOS at the point of purchase with Sony to abide by Sony's rules: At the point of purchase, there is a transfer of ownership of the Playstation 3 to the consumer. From this point forward, the consumer owns the PS3 and should be just as free to run custom code on his/her device as he/she is free to throw the PS3 off the roof of a large building.

I think I'm kind of understanding this more.

The PS3 is technically owned by the user who purchased it. They can/should be allowed to use whatever OS/coding they chose to to modify it or do as they please.

Kind of like if you buy a Dell Computer with Windows 7 and then removed Win7 and put Linux on it. MS can't do anything about it nor can Dell. ... am I right?

When you are buying a PS3 you are buying the use of someone elses creation, you are not buying ownership of the software and code to do whatever you want with.

Why is software always different than hardware? No one would mind if you mod a computer chassis or a car and designers worked to create that too.

Hackers are delusional if they think it is good for everyone. They aren't standing up for freedom, especially when they release the hacks publicly. What they are doing is hurting developers' bottom line, ruining online multiplayer for anyone not hacking, and destroying any credibility hackers have/had.

Unlock the hardware you own... ok sure. Unlock it so you can illegally download and play software you have no right to be downloading is a whole new matter.

I really can't see why people think unlocking/jailbreaking/chipping a console is so within their rights. If you don't believe in such a piece of hardware... don't ****ing buy it!