Apple's Light Peak implementation called Thunderbolt, coming in new Ma

Apple's Light Peak implementation called Thunderbolt, coming in new MacBook Pros?

6a00d83451c7b569e2014e8642e589970d.jpg

The rumor gears are really starting to churn with regard Apple's upcoming MacBook Pro refresh and now we have a purported leak of the upcoming spec sheet for the new 13-inch model. The highlight is a note (and image, above) seemingly confirming that Apple will implement Intel's Light Peak high-speed interconnect, renaming it the Thunderbolt. Yes, we know there's an HTC handset headed to Verizon with that very same name -- and we've checked the USPTO archives, Verizon's the only tech company with any trademark claim filed for "Thunderbolt" -- but Apple has done weirder things before. Also notable are the apparent inclusion of an SDXC card reader and the absence of a discrete GPU chip, indicating that perhaps the new Core i5 integrated graphics from Intel are finally good enough to convince Cupertino to rely on them full time. Jump past the break to see the full data sheet.

Update: We now have an image claiming to show the new Thunderbolt port, which happens to look exactly like the Mini DisplayPort but has a tidy little lightning logo next to it. That's extremely easy to Photoshop, as is the accompanying photo displaying a broader trackpad on the MBP, but we'll let you judge the validity of those images for yourself. Check them out after the break.

11x02238145.jpg

11x0223n834vam.jpg

11x022387461wc-1298458761.jpg

Source: Engadget

That'll be cool if they double up the mini display port, so it was "thunderbolt" too, but i guess that won't fly with people that use external monitors :laugh:

Thunderbolt is not a name, that Apple will go for but you never know.

Also, no dedicated graphic card? Intel's inbuilt is good only for HD playback or old games, but there aren't good /graphic-intensive mac games anyway.

Thing that matters is that it's good enough of Angry Birds :D

Makes no sense for them to use the Display Port connector for it when they have USB instead that even Intel has shown with LightPeak integrated. Display Port would just create confusion and I believe for that reason these images to be faked.

• Like 2

I also think USB or e-Sata should be used, because there are already too many ports, no need for a new port.

Also Technology will die if it's limited to Apple, using USB port will make it easier to implement on a PC.

Last thing we want is different ports for same technology (light peak)

Thunderbolt is not a name, that Apple will go for but you never know.

Also, no dedicated graphic card? Intel's inbuilt is good only for HD playback or old games, but there aren't good /graphic-intensive mac games anyway.

Thing that matters is that it's good enough of Angry Birds :D

Really? They chose Mission Control as a name for one of their apps - MISSION CONTROL :wacko:

To me it also makes no sense for Apple to use the mini-DisplayPort connector for LightPeak if they can also use the USB ports with backward compatibility to USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.

Really doubtful LightPeak (Thunderbolt) will become a huge success in that case unless they find some way to get the PC world on board as well, which to me seems unlikely to happen. Looks like we have a new FireWire on our hands...

Really doubtful LightPeak (Thunderbolt) will become a huge success in that case unless they find some way to get the PC world on board as well, which to me seems unlikely to happen. Looks like we have a new FireWire on our hands...

I agree, it's going to be for a niche market. At least it's been implemented, perhaps not in the best way.

i wonder if you can split the port to allow for a display and a light peak device, since i'm assuming it's geared towards the pro market (editors, musicians etc), who will want to use external displays as well.

i wonder if you can split the port to allow for a display and a light peak device, since i'm assuming it's geared towards the pro market (editors, musicians etc), who will want to use external displays as well.

I really can't get over how incredibly stupid this is if it turns out to be true. Now you have to share a single port for both video input/output AND external storage (for example) requiring even more adapters, splitters and whatnot. I really wonder how this going to play out in daily life as absolutely nothing about this seems very practical. Not to mention the lack of USB 3.0 support.

That's a great point. I'm 100% certain that PC makers will integrate Lightpeak with USB ports which would leave it completely incompatible with Apples Mini-Display port implementation.

I still doubt these 'leaks' are real even if Mac Rumors does have confirmation.

Tomorrow I get to order my macbook pro for work, was going to order one last week but once I realized new ones were supposed to come out tomorrow I decided to wait, and since I will also be able to use for personal use, I am definitely curious to see if this rumor winds up being true or not.

Really, I don't think so...

I mean look at the resolution of the 13" display... Even the MBA 11" has a higher res, I was at least thinking the 13" MBA-res would be standard for the 13" MBP... And the Light Peak-thing... I don't know... Let's just hope it's a fake by someone who knows how to fake but is not very tech savvy. ;)

That's a great point. I'm 100% certain that PC makers will integrate Lightpeak with USB ports which would leave it completely incompatible with Apples Mini-Display port implementation.

You would require an adapter similar to one from FireWire 800 to 400 I imagine to make Apple's connector compatible with a standard Light Peak "USB" plug. That is with Intel will still go with the USB design.

Intel did always say that Light Peak could be scaled down to a much smaller plug than USB without sacrificing functionality.

Hmmm. Low-res screen, odd ball implementation of Intel's big new technology, no noted trademarks or anything from Apple to do with Thunderbolt.

It probably is true, but I have my doubts.