Apple's Light Peak implementation called Thunderbolt, coming in new Ma

if apple released a different port format, then intel has everyone else do it as a USB implementation, where its still usb but with lightpeak integrated, how the heck will this work? Apple devices and then everyone else? USB format ports will rule them all in the end, so apple would be stupid to make another port format for the same thing that can already be done in USB's port format

Everyone is missing the point why should apple be allowed to use its own names for stuff and claim it as its invention?

Who says they do? Next to that Apple apparently has been involved in Light Peak's development, if Intel doesn't have a problem with it why should you? Classic case of moaning and complaining for the sake of moaning and complaining.

Who says they do? Next to that Apple apparently has been involved in Light Peak's development, if Intel doesn't have a problem with it why should you?

Because there not calling it by its name its like calling a usb port and apple port if apple had helped develop usb its misleading. Allows people to think apple are the inventors of so many things no one calls it an mp3 or a tablet pc anymore.

Because there not calling it by its name its like calling a usb port and apple port if apple had helped develop usb its misleading. Allows people to think apple are the inventors of so many things no one calls it an mp3 or a tablet pc anymore.

Apple had a hand in developing it with intel, i can't see how it would be misleading, it may be that everyone decides to call it a thunderbolt connector, lightpeak was it's development code name just as sandybridge is intel's new core line of processors is called,

IEE1394 was named FireWire to make it easier for consumers.

I think ill wait for an official announcement / release before making a judgement on it.

no one calls it an mp3 or a tablet pc anymore.

pretty clever marketing, I'd say. ;-)

Just like every yellow colored lemonade is Fanta. In Germany, at least.

Because there not calling it by its name its like calling a usb port and apple port if apple had helped develop usb its misleading.

How is it misleading? At this point Apple isn't claiming its their invention and with Intel not caring it's completely beyond me why people like you do. Did you invent Light Peak? Is it your brain child? Have you been involved in any way?

Allows people to think apple are the inventors of so many things no one calls it an mp3 or a tablet pc anymore.

That's called good marketing, just look at Walkman (Sony) and iPod (Apple).

Apple would say why not? they've done it before... AppleTalk port was a high speed serial port basically

Apple would say why not? they've done it before... AppleTalk port was a high speed serial port basically

thunderbolt connector is ok then as long as non apple products call it the same thing and apple dont claim it as "magical"

as for the ipod/mp3 thing /ipad= a tablet no thats not marketing its damaging and hurtful I hate hate hate how supid consumers think apple invented portable music and tablet pcs and that there are no alternatives.

thunderbolt connector is ok then as long as non apple products call it the same thing and apple dont claim it as "magical"

as for the ipod/mp3 thing /ipad= a tablet no thats not marketing its damaging and hurtful I hate hate hate how supid consumers think apple invented portable music and tablet pcs and that there are no alternatives.

Sure it's marketing. What else? They marketed it to be successful and seem like it was revolutionary (and let's face it, the first iPod indeed was quite revolutional at the time) and it quickly became synonymous. For a reason! And not because, although you'd like to believe it, obviously, Apple planted something inside customers heads to make them think they way they want - except for clever marketing.....

By definition, stupid people believe in stupid things. If that keeps you up at night, then you need to find a hobby.

The iPod and iPad are especially examples of marketing and product design done right. It's not Apple fault that the rest of the market failed to anticipate (twice) and come up with real competitors at a similar price point with the same overall quality.

Right now Apple is the first to introduce Light Peak / Thunderbolt so they can introduce it as anything they like. Especially because it apparently beats both FireWire 800 and USB 3.0 speed-wise.

It's copper based, not fiber, so "light" peak is a little wrong to begin with. What happens if you want to use a external display and a "light peak" product?

It's copper based, not fiber, so "light" peak is a little wrong to begin with. What happens if you want to use a external display and a "light peak" product?

That's what I'm wondering as well.

I guess they'll be adding to their line of a billion display adaptors; an official apple mini display port splitter :pinch:

Actually there's another, not so apparent issue with lightpeak and displays:

Now according to the wikipedia article and displayport, the data rate for a 2560x1600 display at 60hz is about 10.46 Gbit/s . Light peak (when its using light) tops out currently at around 10 Gbit/s, however when its using copper it's going to be less and that's not including any overhead.

i was hoping for faster/bigger hard drives. fingers crossed for the 15"

It is financially irresponsible for you to want this provided by Apple. Why would this need to be upgraded when you can buy a bigger and faster drive for much cheaper from sites like newegg etc.

Yes, I am a Apple fan, so no I'm not complaining about prices of Apple products, but as far as hdd's go... newegg.com + $50 = win imo.

I agree, it's going to be for a niche market. At least it's been implemented, perhaps not in the best way.

I think it will surpase USB 3 eventually. If its apple propietary tech its not going to succeed. Remember, Intel is also pushing this.

It's copper based, not fiber, so "light" peak is a little wrong to begin with.

Fiber is coming in the next iteration of Light Peak, which will bring it to 3Gbps 100Gbps (don’t know where I read 3...).

It’s where Intel wanted to go at first, but right now I don’t know if it’s copper like you said, but it’s not fiber. I think Fiber is too expensive right now for a connector, or maybe they’re not done finalizing it, or I don’t know, but there’s a reason about this.

Edit : You’re right about the copper.

Here's a good demonstration of what LightPeak can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidmWiqKzqY&feature=player_embedded

It also explains why there would only be one connector and why they'd combine it with the monitor port.

Wow, and this is just the 10Gbps version !

I hope it becomes popular enough that we can banish every other port possible.

Let’s get on with this and choose one single standard port that will be good for every electronic device possible. Oh wait, that would be too simple, especially that I have no idea how they can manage such a huge transition... :(

Wow, and this is just the 10Gbps version !

I hope it becomes popular enough that we can banish every other port possible.

Let’s get on with this and choose one single standard port that will be good for every electronic device possible. Oh wait, that would be too simple, especially that I have no idea how they can manage such a huge transition... :(

Not really an ideal solution if you have high res monitors since it won't be able to support it but then you have displayport for that so its covered.