Maxthon 3 - What do you guys think?

IE8 came out March 19th, 2009. Google Chrome came out September 2nd, 2008. See where I am going to this? IE8, was in test for several months with said features, Google was testing it for several months with sandboxing being around since v1. Again, do your research. Chrome had it first. So... you were right they do have it in there, but you were wrong to think IE had it first.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx notice the date.

I tried Maxthon years ago on XP (can't remember the version it was then), and although it was nice, the "extra" features it had were pretty useless for my purposes. I prefer to have all the major browsers installed for testing my sites, so it's pointless for me.

One thing I definitely do like about Maxthon is the built-in download manager. It's very nice to have a feature such as a download manager built into a browser by default. Maxthon packs a ton of features into the install, and I do prefer it to some other browsers that boast multiple rendering engines. I can see Maxthon becoming a browser I enjoy using, so I'll continue to work with it and see if I can decide definitively whether or not this is the browser I will stick with.

I noticed that: So it looks like beta2 of IE popped out literally what? 6 days before Google released Chrome... but what I wanna know now is which team started on it first? It looks like some early builds of Chrome were out before Sept. 2008 that had the sandboxing feature.

IE8 came out March 19th, 2009. Google Chrome came out September 2nd, 2008. See where I am going to this? IE8, was in test for several months with said features, Google was testing it for several months with sandboxing being around since v1. Again, do your research. Chrome had it first. So... you were right they do have it in there, but you were wrong to think IE had it first.

IE 7.

let's take it up in another topic. IE7 protected mode was nothing like IE8's... so it's irrelevant.

Agreed.

-----------------------

Maxthon 3 looks like quite a browser - I do love it's UI.

Maxthon 3 looks like quite a browser - I do love it's UI.

Yea, there are a few things about the default UI I do want to change though:

- Remove the avatar from the upper left, stick it in a profile side-tab when you click on the Menu button (they had it like this in their Alpha version)

- Allow users to remove all the nonsense buttons. (I want to remove the Home button, the Undo Close Tab, and History)

- Remove search bar.

- Move bookmarks over to the Right side when bookmark menu isn't open.

- Combine Go/Refresh button in URL Box (like Chrome)

- Other small cosmetic issues.

It doesn't do it with anything else. Chrome opens. It just when I hit Enter to go to a site.

^^This is totally off topic: Disable all your add-on's and see what happens!

Back to the subject on hand: I have given it a look see and it's pretty cool, I have always enjoyed using this product, even from the early days. Had to install it on my old XP Pro Box as I am a Linux (Read as Chromium) user. Thanks for the heads up.

Back to the subject on hand: I have given it a look see and it's pretty cool, I have always enjoyed using this product, even from the early days. Had to install it on my old XP Pro Box as I am a Linux (Read as Chromium) user. Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome, the theme does look good with more Aero (had to switch my theme from Static over to Shine-2.0) But still, these damn buttons need to be removed... or let us move them/remove them.

im using maxthon 2.5. I however find 3.0 far to minalistic and same goes for Chrome. I'll probably stick with 2.x and give 3 a miss for quiet some time with the odd looksee now and then.

I've been using Maxthon for a few hours now, but the only problem I really have with it, is that it is too white. I know, it sounds like a stupid point, but I dislike looking at pure white for extended periods of time. I know I can change the theme, but I do prefer the default theme. The color is the only problem with it for me, but beyond that, it is excellent. If a 'Personas' feature or something to the same degree is released for it, then I think I could really enjoy Maxthon 3.

Was a user of Maxthon 2 (has been using since MyIE times) but changed to ChromePlus.

Had enough of M2 crashing on me at least once a day.

M3 hasn't got all the features there yet.

Still don't see search suggestions in the address bar and a plugin system.

But I do like how M3's GUI is customizable like Firefox's.

Although ChromePlus doesn't have the sidebar, it has most of the features I used in M2 plus extensions support.

[EDIT] Was looking around and found that M3 has a portable version here.

M3 hasn't got all the features there yet.

Still don't see search suggestions in the address bar and a plugin system.

But I do like how M3's GUI is customizable like Firefox's.

Not every browser is going to have all the feautres right away.

Suggestions is a cool feature, and I hope they do implemente it, but they do have a plugin system, just an outdated one for Mx2! :p

Day two of Mx3 is complete for me, and I still am in love with this browser. I've had exactly ONE crash which involved trying to watch a youtube video. So good job Mx3, so far, so good.

IE was the first to use sandboxing technology.

It doesn't matter who was first, only who does it best. Chrome's sandbox is more advanced.

Performance is debateable.

IE and Chrome are the most reliable browsers.

Benchmarks?

let's take it up in another topic. IE7 protected mode was nothing like IE8's... so it's irrelevant.

There are no significant differences between protected mode in IE7 and IE8. They are essentially the same.

I have tried Maxthon 3 previously and I have to agree that it is an impressive browser. Ok, it kinda lacks some features, like those a power user used to Firefox might want. Ok, it has some features implemented by other browsers before it, but it is straight out of the box good. For daily browsing it is impressive.

Now, if they would let me tinker with it like I used to in Maxthon 2... Just saying, need more options ( security especially).

Benchmarks?

well according to the reliability monitor on my system chrome has had more crashes. IE however lists far more errors in the error count, but this is because IE also reports webpage display problems to the error log, unlike either chrome or Opera.

opera however, while it has more crashes than chrome(and those are old anyway, and from beta versions) seems to be the far stabler one, considering onmy system it has about 100+ times the usage of chrome which is only used as a secondary browser for some stuff.

funnily enough despite chrome process isolation it seems to be hard crashing more and bringing down the whole browser than Opera which is able to run stable without 50 processes.

actually come to think if it, with my 50+ tabs and the time I spend on chrome added together, opera is more likely to be used several thousand times more than chrome on my system :)

Hey look, a new thread that doesn't involve Chrome-Firefix-IE-or Opera! Wow!

Sadly by the time I reached this thread, 80% of it is talking about those browsers :laugh:

Maxthon 3 doesn't look bad at all!

well according to the reliability monitor on my system chrome has had more crashes. IE however lists far more errors in the error count, but this is because IE also reports webpage display problems to the error log, unlike either chrome or Opera.

opera however, while it has more crashes than chrome(and those are old anyway, and from beta versions) seems to be the far stabler one, considering onmy system it has about 100+ times the usage of chrome which is only used as a secondary browser for some stuff.

funnily enough despite chrome process isolation it seems to be hard crashing more and bringing down the whole browser than Opera which is able to run stable without 50 processes.

actually come to think if it, with my 50+ tabs and the time I spend on chrome added together, opera is more likely to be used several thousand times more than chrome on my system :)

I find chrome far from stable

If i leave it open and go do somethin, ill come back to a system sometimes that is DOGGING it

Core i7 with 6gb ram gaming system, has a delay when entering keys

I end the chrome task and its back to normal...

I find the speed different barely noticable anyways on this system so i stick to Firefox, Though now i think about it and read this thread..opera has NEVER glitched out on me compared to all the others.

Oh and..Maxthon 3 is quite fast...

I'm happy you guys like Maxthon. As an oldie Maxthon user myself (about 6 years), Maxthon 3 can't replace the older versions due to lack of various features that make Maxthon 2/1 really special.UI customization options are a must for me to use it in my daily browsing too.

I've been using Maxthon for a few hours now, but the only problem I really have with it, is that it is too white. I know, it sounds like a stupid point, but I dislike looking at pure white for extended periods of time. I know I can change the theme, but I do prefer the default theme. The color is the only problem with it for me, but beyond that, it is excellent. If a 'Personas' feature or something to the same degree is released for it, then I think I could really enjoy Maxthon 3.

I would love a Personas option. While I like that Maxthon 3 UI is color neutral (so it can fit with any windows visual theme/aero color), it's indeed too white and in desperate need for some color.

What would you guys like to have in future Maxthon releases? personally, I hope the groups feature of older versions is added back, also a spell check tool.