Maxthon 3 - What do you guys think?

What would you guys like to have in future Maxthon releases?

I'd like to have the following:

• Custom themes / Personas
  • Tab Grouping (eg. Opera 11 style)
  • Improved AdBlocker
  • More Bookmark Managing

Maxthon is a very nice browser, but those features would really make it shine for me.

Still using Maxthon, this is the longest I've ever used a browser other than Chrome or Firefox since the days I used IE6! Still running smooth, and I'm still getting used to the buttons, as I feel there is just too many of them and since I can't get rid of them, I'm just trying to get used to them. I might make a new skin myself though if I can figure it out that removes those buttons, removes the search bar, puts the "MENU" button over where the AVATAR is, and take the profile and put it in the Menu button area, so when you click menu you can see if your'e logged in or not.

EDIT: Also, I love the mouse gestures.

If you succeed with that NeoDecay, please do tell! I'm curious as to how much can really be done with Maxthon! I'll admit I am impressed with the browser!

I really liked the original maxthon for it's 'Groups' - where I could save multiple tabs to a group and then open these groups as I want. There would even be a drop down of all the sites saved to a group from which I could pick sites to open from within that group.

i.e. save cnn, msnbc, and washingtonpost to a "News" group, then I could either open the entire group, or hover over news and select just cnn from the dropdown.

Nice skin there neodecay

I really liked the original maxthon for it's 'Groups' - where I could save multiple tabs to a group and then open these groups as I want. There would even be a drop down of all the sites saved to a group from which I could pick sites to open from within that group.

i.e. save cnn, msnbc, and washingtonpost to a "News" group, then I could either open the entire group, or hover over news and select just cnn from the dropdown.

Nice skin there neodecay

Thanks, it's very interesting trying to take that idea and actually put it on the browser, as there is no tutorials on how to edit the latest skin, and the old ways do not work. Mx3 uses HTML/CSS for skins, yet, the only way to edit them right now is in the Resource.dat/UI.dat/Page.dat files, which you can't unpack, and when you open them with a text editor (such as SublimeText) it fills it with random crap! So it's hard to figure this out, but I am trying! :D

Well damn, after much work, I've managed to figure some of it out! Okay, so this is the good news... I understand the layout engine better... I have the first preview of it already, and am about to post it in a second in this reply... the bad news, it's still difficult to do, and there is no back/forward/bookmark button right now, you can have your bookmark menu set up, BUT, you still need back/forward button unless you plan on using Mouse Gestures all the damn time :p

Well here it is, version 1.2

Mx3 by ~NeoDecay

198131462.png

Changelong

Removed Undo Tab close button.

Removed History Button.

Removed Search Bar.

Removed Avatar.

Moved Blue Menu button from far right to upper left of the browser.

Reduced Max-Tab-Size to 160px from 180px to allow for more tabs open.

More coming soon before I release the skin to the public.

Edited by NeoDecay

looking good :yes:

Thank you :) I posted the theme up for download in the Customize section of the forums and on DeviantART, the preview on the DeviantART page is slightly dated since I fixed some padding issues with the theme and the address bar. The only thing I want to do now is edit the tabs a bit, and try to move some of the navigation buttons to the right of the address bar (such as Refresh/Favorites Button... but then again, if you keep your favorites bar up, that's already gone. Was debating on removing the refresh button completely though.

I prefer Avant browser...

I don't mind Avant browser either. Not bad indeed! :)

i signed up for their service, but never got confirmation email. I signed in a few times and had the confirmation email resent, and still havent gotten anything.

Weird, never had that issue. Check your Spam box? O_o No idea. Haha.

i have nothing. i'll log in and resent email again just for fun.

edit: again nothing has came.

i wonder if AOL is just blocking their servers? I sued my phoenix email addy.

lol weiiiiiiiiiiiiiird. AOL does suck though.

I don't like Maxthon. The guys who made it are douchebags, and I heard there's some spyware in there.

Would you mind explaining why the guys who made it are douchebags? I haven't heard anything about spyware in the browser, and AVG did not turn anything up when I scanned the installer.

Would you mind explaining why the guys who made it are douchebags? I haven't heard anything about spyware in the browser, and AVG did not turn anything up when I scanned the installer.

I've been reading their English blog, and they keep posting the most inane **** there, including underhanded attacks on other browsers. And I'm not talking about the regular bickering between browser vendors, but really underhanded ****.

I've been reading their English blog, and they keep posting the most inane **** there, including underhanded attacks on other browsers. And I'm not talking about the regular bickering between browser vendors, but really underhanded ****.

I didn't even know they had an English blog. Any chance you could provide a link here? I imagine others might want to see it as well.

O.o uh... what?

Chrome is faster in every test.

It's more secure via sandboxing security.

Performs just as good as IE9, if not better, since it's snappier and far more responsive than even IE9.

It's realiable... all browsers are reliable, at least all the currently released ones (FF 3.6, IE 9, Chrome, Opera, Maxthon3)

Lay off the drugs man, or do some research before you post that fud.

Does Chrome have hardware rendering? No. Does chrome actually beat IE9 in ALL the tests? Not even close. Does chrome load pages as fast as the BETA/RC of IE9? No.

I think it's another layer of junk on top of your browser; RockMelt, Comodo Dragon, Flock, and so on. I think it's completely unnecessary for most folks, and takes away from the original browser by bogging it down with a bunch of crap, most of which most folks wouldn't bother to use. Why suffocate your browser with all that crap when you can pick and choose what you want with extensions? Why stick with a butchered third-party UI when there's a theme gallery for most major browsers (or, in Opera's case, the default, because the rest are terrible).

See where I'm going?

I consider them to be the same type of thing as toolbars: a cancer.

Definitely entitled to your own opinions. To each his own I guess. Toolbars are a cancer, yes, but is Maxthon? Nah. Is Rockmelt? Probably. What about Avant or Flock? Doubtful. They all have their own place and their own fan base. I enjoy Maxthon and I enjoy Chrome. I hate Firefox and Avant. Meh, all personal preference.

does it have groups like maxthon 1? the ability to save a group of tabs e.g. 80 under a name eg. group1

open up a new set of tabs eg. 30, save them as a group eg. group 2

and then reopen group1?

like maxthon 1?

i tried maxthon 3 but couldnt find any sign of groups and promptly went back to maxthon 1

hwoever maxthon 1 crashes OFTEN and im getting fed up with it

so,

does maxthon 3 have groups function?