CM7 for Galaxy S devices

Hey guys, I just wanted to make a topic to let all the SGS owners out there know that CM7 has reached it's first test release. It's running Android 2.3.3 and has a few bugs, but overall it's running wonderfully. Now you can finally get AOSP and Gingerbread.

You can find the instructions on how to install CM7 on your SGS phone here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/17020-all-models-cyanogenmod-7-for-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-build-20110303/

Here are a few screenshots:

360px-LockScreen.png360px-HomeScreen.png

360px-AboutPhone.png360px-NotificationWidgets.png

KNOWN BUGS

• FF-Camera
  • Polling problem on RIL (works after lock and unlock)
  • 2G/3G toggle (works if no data connection is active)
  • Compass (works not at 100%)
  • USB sharing of external SD-Card
  • commands: reboot recovery, reboot download (maybe not possible to implement)
  • FM-Radio
  • TV-Out
  • Random reboots, especially if wlan is enabled

Wasn't that unlock screen on the 6.x release? On my Incredible with the CM7 RC1 nightly update from last week, I have the half circle dial to swipe to login. Is that editable?

Yeah, there are a few different unlock screens that come with it that can be changed in the settings.

Specifically, your options are Sliding Tab, Rotary, Rotary revamped, and Lense.

Yeah, there are a few different unlock screens that come with it that can be changed in the settings.

thx. Did not know that. :) I will change mine. That half circle thing doesn't always work for me

I'm running Andromeda 1.2...how is the battery life on CM7 compared to Andro?

Hard to say, with the current wifi bug, you have to edit the wifi sleep policy so that it doesn't sleep, or else you will get reboots from the wifi driver. Personally, I just leave wifi off for now until that's fixed, and if you do that, the battery life is great. I had 21 hours the other day without really trying to conserve battery. If you need wifi though, you need to turn it on and off when you need it or else it's going to drain your battery.

Overall it's definitely average at worst I'd say, compared to previous 2.2 roms.

To many bugs for me. I will wait until they are worked out a little more. Have not used Cyanogen ROMS since my myTouch 3g...so would be cool to go back tho Bionix ROMs are pretty damn sweet.

To many bugs for me. I will wait until they are worked out a little more. Have not used Cyanogen ROMS since my myTouch 3g...so would be cool to go back tho Bionix ROMs are pretty damn sweet.

I'll give you that there is still a list, but most are avoidable. I rarely run into any bugs and have only had it crash/reboot on me when I left my wifi on on accident (I should change the sleep policy IN CASE I leave it on, but I just usually don't use it).

Sorry, what is CM7?

I'm guessing CyanogenMod 7 - custom firmware

With Samsung still being very grey as to whether or not we will see an official release this might be a good alternative. But I think I will leave it a little for the bugs to be ironed out

Don't you just leave Wi-Fi on in sleep mode? Don't think it restarts then.

Yeah, you can change the wifi sleep policy to never sleep, then it won't crash, but I'd rather just leave wifi off and save the battery. If you disable wifi sleep, then you can turn on wifi if you ever need a little more speed, or signal, then if you forget to turn it off it won't crash. It does use a little more battery when wifi never sleeps, but if you keep it off when you can it's fine.

The latest kernel builds (20110309) fix the wifi sleep issue.

To my Captivate buddies that may want a Voodoo CM7 kernel, you can get that here: http://kang.project-voodoo.org/f/CM7/Captivate/CM7_Captivate_kernel_kang_20110309_19_update.zip (with the dev thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=979206)

I just don't understand why use CM7 when it is not ready...

With many bugs, I rather use 2.2.1

Also why not just use Samsung official 2.3.2 beta? At least it does not have so much problems?

Still prefer Darkys Rom at the mo - very fast and stable :)

I just switch from darky to Ultimate. A bit better to me. But both is better than CM7 for now...

I just switch from darky to Ultimate. A bit better to me. But both is better than CM7 for now...

only thing i dont like about ultimate is the blue it looks a bit dull, i prefer the gingerbread green. If you haven't already try the lcd density app from the market and set it to 220, makes the screen sooo much sharper - bliss! lol

only thing i dont like about ultimate is the blue it looks a bit dull, i prefer the gingerbread green. If you haven't already try the lcd density app from the market and set it to 220, makes the screen sooo much sharper - bliss! lol

I like the black and blue gingerbread keyboard :laugh:

220? But my default one is 240?

Edit: Oh I did not know its the lesser the more dense.

I just don't understand why use CM7 when it is not ready...

With many bugs, I rather use 2.2.1

Also why not just use Samsung official 2.3.2 beta? At least it does not have so much problems?

Because most of the bugs left will never show up on your day to day use, so it's basically a fully working ROM, especially with wifi fixed. It gives you a very fast Gingerbread ROM that you can use. It has FAR less bugs than the official 2.3.2 leak that came out. That was a VERY early leak that was very broken. It's bug list would be 10 times as long as CM7's would be. CM7 is very quick and rock solid (at least for me), but if you aren't interested in trying something new, then it's not for you. I'm not trying to convince anyone here to try it, just letting people know that somewhat stable builds are available now because there are probably some people interested.