How long should the Neowin Digital Gallery thread be?

How long should the Neowin Digital Gallery thread be?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. The Neowin Digital Gallery thread should be:

• Monthly
    • Quarterly
    • Annual
    • Permanent (one thread to rule them all)
    • Other (explain in thread)

Given the recent discussion within the Neowin Digital Gallery for and against changing the length of the thread, I think that a separate thread + poll to discuss and evaluate that would be better.

Intelligent discussion is preferred (though I'm aware this is the Internet).

I really don't see a point in changing it from monthly, although I have not tried to FIND a reason... IF you were to do it quarterly then you might as well do it per season e.g. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall (as a means of labeling which quarter we are in - and to make it somewhat organized instead of just starting at some random month)

The only problem I find with the Monthly model is that anything posted on the final week of the month gets a lot less exposure. Sometimes I upload something on the 28th or 29th and wait for the next monthly thread to share it here.

Other than that a monthly model is fine.

The only problem I find with the Monthly model is that anything posted on the final week of the month gets a lot less exposure.

so what happens when you post in the final week of the quarter?

I mean sure, it will occur only 4 times per year opposed to 12... but it's still a problem

If plan to do a 3 months a time, then do this format:

Winter: December - February

Spring: March - May

Summer: June - August

Fall: September - November

That way, we know what season the photos were taken in..

Other than that, I don't mind if we do a monthly or quarterly, or whatever. Up to you or the mods.

Best tip is that if we do a season format, we can search our photos in previous forums in easy way which we can link the photos for future references or inspirations.

Just a thought.

The only problem I find with the Monthly model is that anything posted on the final week of the month gets a lot less exposure. Sometimes I upload something on the 28th or 29th and wait for the next monthly thread to share it here.

Other than that a monthly model is fine.

That's precisely teh problem.

Just do it quarterly, 1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9, 10 11 12

Do I detect bitterness ? :p

so what happens when you post in the final week of the quarter?

I mean sure, it will occur only 4 times per year opposed to 12... but it's still a problem

Got any better ideas? I sure don't :p

Edit: lol... monthly is winning 6 - 3 ... time to register new users :shiftyninja:

Edit: lol... monthly is winning 6 - 3 ... time to register new users :shiftyninja:

That's why I made the poll public, I think opinions from active members are slightly more important.

Do I detect bitterness ? :p

Uhhh no? Did it come off bitter? Just seemed like starting the quarters on the calendar year is the most simple/easiest.

Could always consider a yearly thread too :p

hmmmm could be, yea.

Hmmm the yearly thing sounds good. Is there no bookmark function in IPB? Eg. Get a mod to mark the end of a quarter at a certain page saying "this is 2 quarter" etc.

Got any better ideas? I sure don't :p

... You could leave the previous month stickied for an extra week or something? So have say February and March up for the first week of March, then you can unsticky February...

I don't care either way, that is just an IDEA... although idk if it's better :p

Adding onto the yearly thread idea... make it indefinitely long. lol

A year is so long that there will be TONNES of pages anyway... so IF you were to go that route I think you might as well just not change it at all and just leave it up forever as the same thread :p

A year is so long that there will be TONNES of pages anyway... so IF you were to go that route I think you might as well just not change it at all and just leave it up forever as the same thread :p

I think the Yearly sounds even better! This will avoid the issue of posting at end of month/quarter as it will only happen once per year! So out of all the different ways to do it yearly contributes the least to that problem.

We could then do like a yearly poll over the thread to vote the best of the year, pretty cool thing to do I say.

I think the Yearly sounds even better! This will avoid the issue of posting at end of month/quarter as it will only happen once per year! So out of all the different ways to do it yearly contributes the least to that problem.

We could then do like a yearly poll over the thread to vote the best of the year, pretty cool thing to do I say.

We already had a voting go based on "ideas" by .mac, however it failed terribly as we got very little participation, I could see this yearly thing working better for this purpose.

Hmmm the yearly thing sounds good. Is there no bookmark function in IPB? Eg. Get a mod to mark the end of a quarter at a certain page saying "this is 2 quarter" etc.

See above :p

I deleted my vote, but when trying to vote I get:

[#10355] You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

It will only work if I vote null.

OK, the poll has been updated, you might need to delete your vote and re-vote.

I revoted yearly looks like people like the idea.

Hard refreshed and still zip, tried another browser and teh same... then I tried again voting null, then deleting my vote and presto! I was able to vote yearly. HOWEVER

Yearly. If something is 5 pages back it's easy to find. If it's 5 threads back and you can't remember which month you're not going to trawl through them all to find it.

I removed and re-added the poll. There is apparently a problem with deleting and re-voting, but this should be a temporary solution. Apologies for having to re-vote, but I didn't know another way to get it working.