Question about Whatsapp permissions

It's seems that everybody is using this app now, and I have all my friends asking me to install it.

OK, I don't mind paying ~2?/year after the first one, but it asks for some permissions that don't make much sense to me, given what the app is supposed to do:

-Send SMS: isn't the app supposed to "replace" SMSs, sending messages over the data connection?

-Make phone calls: so maybe you can call your contacts from within the app, but I certainly don't feel comfortable with that.

-Manage my accounts information: why does it need to access my account info? If it needs to store credentials, use the DB.

Dunno, given the amount of people using whatsapp I guess we would know already if something fishy was going on, but I just don't feel like giving those permissions without a good reason.

What do you think? :unsure:

Send SMS - this is a way it authenticates with the server, sends an sms when you install to register you

Make Phonecall - so that it can connect to your address book and see who has WhatsApp

I like the program. The only issue I have noticed is sometimes sending a message to an iphone might take a minute or 2 for the first one in a conversation. No idea why, but it does. I've been trying to get all my friends using it but have only had limited success.