is XP SP3 still a good OS for today's computing?

How is this inane thread still going? It's just the same nonsense over and over.

Just for example, this thread. 95 vs XP, same reasons given why XP sucks and you'll have to pry 95 out of my cold dead hands.. everything from missing features, lack of hardware support, bloat, XP doesn't run some games, yadda yadda. Look how that turned out. Same crap, different build numbers. This thread needs to die already before this turns into a Windows 8 vs 7 thread.

How is this inane thread still going? It's just the same nonsense over and over.

Just for example, this thread. 95 vs XP, same reasons given why XP sucks and you'll have to pry 95 out of my cold dead hands.. everything from missing features, lack of hardware support, bloat, XP doesn't run some games, yadda yadda. Look how that turned out. Same crap, different build numbers. This thread needs to die already before this turns into a Windows 8 vs 7 thread.

+1 Exactly, Where did you dig that thread up from?

You guys should get off the computer and experience real life.

The FPS is, like, >9000

there is no way that could be right :dizzy: :o

Classic. :laugh:

Where did you dig that thread up from?

First hit from a quick "xp sucks go back to 95 site:neowin.net" search via the start menu. Sadly this thread seems to resurrect itself under a different title with each new build of Windows.

First hit from a quick "xp sucks go back to 95 site:neowin.net" search via the start menu. Sadly this thread seems to resurrect itself under a different title with each new build of Windows.

please send it as tribute to tux/xpclient lool :p

That's true, hadn't seen that thread though and I've been a member since July 2002.

How did you get that?

Federated search that was added to the start menu via group policy. There's a bunch of guides all over the place for it.. two steps, create the search itself, then edit the policy to add it to the start menu. Personally wouldn't mind seeing Windows 8 have an easier mechanism for adding these, right now its not terribly hard but involves a little bit of XML editing, maybe having a snipped version of the results appear right in the start menu versus in Explorer would be nice too.

Federated search that was added to the start menu via group policy. There's a bunch of guides all over the place for it.. two steps, create the search itself, then edit the policy to add it to the start menu. Personally wouldn't mind seeing Windows 8 have an easier mechanism for adding these, right now its not terribly hard but involves a little bit of XML editing, maybe having a snipped version of the results appear right in the start menu versus in Explorer would be nice too.

So does that search connect to google to perform the search or something?

You don't get it. The Steps to Reproduce is quite simple really, for example, open Pictures Library - press down key to scroll. The issue is that Windows Explorer is highly used and should be able to scroll folders really fast using little CPU, like it DID on Windows XP. This is a regression. If W7 wan't installed on netbooks, I would be complaining - higher end CPU mask this issue. Why should any modern CPU go into high performance mode when scrolling your pictures library or scrolling your MP3 in Windows Media Player? Well, it shouldn't, it is a simple task that shouldn't waste battery life.

Just like to compensate for lack of W7 features on XP, there are good (f-in fast) explorer alternatives for W7, but hey, WTF Microsoft?

It's an unrealistic scenario because people simply don't sit there doing it. Scrolling occasionally, yes. Constantly scrolling up and down folders at stupid speed, and dragging around windows at stupid speed... no.

So does that search connect to google to perform the search or something?

Depends how you set it up, it can pull data from all sorts of locations. It's OpenSearch compatible, so pretty much anything that can pass RSS or ATOM output can be hooked into Explorer's search system. One of the little "bloat" additions that prove super handy once you get used to it.

Just for example, a random 'wallpaper' search through Flickr. (Scaled down a bit.)

post-225934-0-87388900-1302657738.png

Say what you will about the whole XP vs 7 thing, but credit where it's due, 7's search system is really nice once you get the hang of it. (Extra bonus, no animated dogs..)

post-225934-0-31483300-1302658386.png

It's an unrealistic scenario because people simply don't sit there doing it. Scrolling occasionally, yes. Constantly scrolling up and down folders at stupid speed, and dragging around windows at stupid speed... no.

I have more MP4 ripped from YouTube than a 1080p maximized Windows Explorer can display, also I am not aware of a title of pretty much anything in that folder.

Same goes for images.

A delay in response is a very bad thing, it is nasty to notice even once.

I am probably going to write a guide on how to make W7 behave and work smoothly on a netbook using software alternatives and stuff. This thread is boring; recycled.

You know, I use XP at work all day and I can't wait to get home to use 7. It's like daylight and dark. I understand why we use XP, and I agree with those reasons, but for my own personal use I want better.

Growled, why can't YOU lock this thread, please?!

• Like 2

Depends how you set it up, it can pull data from all sorts of locations. It's OpenSearch compatible, so pretty much anything that can pass RSS or ATOM output can be hooked into Explorer's search system. One of the little "bloat" additions that prove super handy once you get used to it.

Just for example, a random 'wallpaper' search through Flickr. (Scaled down a bit.)

post-225934-0-87388900-1302657738.png

Say what you will about the whole XP vs 7 thing, but credit where it's due, 7's search system is really nice once you get the hang of it. (Extra bonus, no animated dogs..)

post-225934-0-31483300-1302658386.png

LOL about the Duck Hunt dog! God I about PMSL.

The Dog in XP drove me nuts. Based on the default UI and that damn dog, XP will forever be called the Windows Fischer Price Edition.

Ugly, ugly design.

The Dog in XP drove me nuts. Based on the default UI and that damn dog, XP will forever be called the Windows Fischer Price Edition.

Ugly, ugly design.

Maybe you think that, but I'd have to disagree.

Ugly, ugly design.

Indeed. One of the first things I set in my nLite'd build when I used to use XP was defaulting to the classic search. But hey, at least it wasn't Clippy.

Indeed. One of the first things I set in my nLite'd build when I used to use XP was defaulting to the classic search. But hey, at least it wasn't Clippy.

I'd take Clippy anyday :wub:

Ugly, ugly design.

I always disabled that :p and I personally always thought that the silver Luna theme was so much nicer than the blue one, can't understand why the blue one was default.